Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Other model types  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Other model types
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:07 pm »
 Just a couple of photos of other modeling I actively do.The orange one is a Sig Senorita built from a wood kit and converted to electric.The low wing model is a Cloud Dancer forty built scratch from plans and also converted to electric. Enjoy! :)
For the fun of building art.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
Re: Other model types
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:05:16 am »
Very nice Mr. "A"!

Offline Prowler901

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:22:08 am »
Love the cloud dancer.  I'll bet she's a real good performer.

I've got several RC warbirds that I'm itchin' to get back in the air now that winter is behind us.

Les

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:53 pm »
Those look awesome Mr. Atoz!   :)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:54:16 pm »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:42 pm »
Love the cloud dancer.  I'll bet she's a real good performer.

I've got several RC warbirds that I'm itchin' to get back in the air now that winter is behind us.
  Thanks! The Cloud Dancer is my favorite aerobatic plane for the time being.It was designed by Fred Reese in the nineties and was featured in Radio Control Modeler magazine.It's a bit heavy(no Lithium polymer cells;NiMh) but it's great at non 3-D aerobatics.It's about as fast as an automobile at typical highway speeds and neutrally stable.It's a fun one. 8) Are your warbirds kit built? Also, are you operating them with glow or electric? 

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »
Those look awesome Mr. Atoz!   :)
Thanks! :)

Offline Prowler901

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 08:16:36 am »
  Thanks! The Cloud Dancer is my favorite aerobatic plane for the time being.It was designed by Fred Reese in the nineties and was featured in Radio Control Modeler magazine.It's a bit heavy(no Lithium polymer cells;NiMh) but it's great at non 3-D aerobatics.It's about as fast as an automobile at typical highway speeds and neutrally stable.It's a fun one. 8) Are your warbirds kit built? Also, are you operating them with glow or electric?

No, sadly my planes are foam...  :-[  They are all from FMS and Dynam.  They are good quality planes.  And, of course, the modeler in me has to modify them. :)  I add cockpit details, flaps, exterior improvements.  There's also stiffening mods to do, and of course upgraded electronics.  They are all Brushless electrics.  I prefer the elctrics for the ease of maintenance.  And, I've never really liked the wine of the little glo motors.

My other passion is steam locomotives.  I've taken the plunge and I'm in the process of building a 3/4" scale live steam loco.  It will run on 3.5" gauge track.

To many hobbies!  :o  But, I like it.  If I get frustrated or burnt out on one, then I just go to one of the others for a while. :)  Variety is the spice of life.  ;D

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »

No, sadly my planes are foam...  :-[  They are all from FMS and Dynam.  They are good quality planes.  And, of course, the modeler in me has to modify them. :)  I add cockpit details, flaps, exterior improvements.  There's also stiffening mods to do, and of course upgraded electronics.  They are all Brushless electrics.  I prefer the elctrics for the ease of maintenance.  And, I've never really liked the wine of the little glo motors.

My other passion is steam locomotives.  I've taken the plunge and I'm in the process of building a 3/4" scale live steam loco.  It will run on 3.5" gauge track.

To many hobbies!  :o  But, I like it.  If I get frustrated or burnt out on one, then I just go to one of the others for a while. :)  Variety is the spice of life.  ;D
   It's nice to mix it up now and again with model hobbies ,to be sure.A steam locomotive,you say?Way cool! The only steam models I've seen were the boats but an old time train powered like that would be a sight!I've not tried the foamies yet but they seem like a great way to get into the air for a reasonable cost.They fly well also.The new ready to fly planes are well built and cheaper than building them from scratch using balsa and plywood! :o As for the electric revolution,it's nice to bring them home and not have to wipe off the oil.Not only that,you can keep them in the house. ;) 8)

Offline Prowler901

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 01:19:25 pm »
Yes.  I've been impressed with the foamies.  And, as you say, the price is right. :)  I'll get some pictures of my squadron posted. :)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 12:05:00 am »
 I'd love to see your fleet,Prowler. :) In the mean time, here's some before and after shots of the last one built.Enjoy! :)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 08:11:33 pm »
Really nice planes you have Mr. A!  I WILL build a balsa wood fixed wing before I croak!!

I was bitten by the RC helicopter bug about four years ago.  I now have eight in my hanger  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 08:24:44 pm »
Really nice planes you have Mr. A!  I WILL build a balsa wood fixed wing before I croak!!

I was bitten by the RC helicopter bug about four years ago.  I now have eight in my hanger  :)
Oh,my! Eight whirly birds,huh?! :o :P I'd say you were bite hard by the hopty copter bug. ;D Thanks for the comment too! Yes the balsa kits is what I started with in the early eighties and ARFs were just getting popular.I think you'll probably like the balsa kits or scratch built just the same.Some go together in a reasonable amount of time.As for the finish I prefer the iron on Ora cover film.I got away from silkspan and hot fuel proof dope around the mid eighties.Didn't care for the noxious fumes and trouble.You do have to shrink up the sagging on film now and again but no big deal. 8)

Enterprise © Bloc