Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello, New to the site and modelling  (Read 1888 times)

Offline admiraladama

• Ensign
Hello, New to the site and modelling
« on: May 15, 2013, 04:14:17 pm »
Hello there,

My name is Adam and I'm from over here in the rainy old UK.

A little bit about my background.  I was brought up on Star Trek by my dad and I loved all of the shows, but I had a soft spot for plenty of other Sci Fi shows as well.  i've been making small model kits for a few years now Airfix/Warhammer, but after watching the latest Trek film I thought I'd give myself a bit of a challenge and try to find a nice plastic kit of some of the ships.  I had no idea that there was this level of enthusiasm for modelling starships.  The idea of lighting had never occurred to me before, and the level of detail I have seen so far has been astounding.  I watched a few of TrekWorks videos on youtube and decided: "I'm going to do that!"  I then very quickly realised that I have no experience with the electronics side so I ended up on here.

I've had a quick look around and the things I have seen are incredible. 

Now that I'm here, I'd like to get lots of advice from you, the experts.  Firstly I have no idea what size of model I should be starting on, I would love to jump in at the deep end with one of the massive 1:350 but even I am not that brave.  So where would be a good place to start?  Also what kit would I need to do all of the electronics?

I hope to learn a lot from all of you.

Adam.

dlots1701a

Re: Hello, New to the site and modelling
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
first off welcome to The Forums ,second off recommend build with out lights first get your basic skills in order, third a good starter kit is the 1/1000 Tos by r2 polar lights or the 1/1000 refit  or even the 18 inch enterprise. try those first then work on advancing skills pretty soon you will be tackling the 1/350's with lighting

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:12:45 pm »
Welcome Aboard.  It sounds like you have the basics down building Airfix models, some of those can be complicated. But I agree, start
with some thing small and work your way up. Keep watching vids and you will find that lighting  and wiring is not that hard.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:34 pm »
Welcome to the forums! Got a great place, and helpful folks around here that can help you get started in any direction you want to go.

Where learning to light things up, I would recommend the kit that got me started on this crazy train. It's the AMT fiber optic "The Enterprise Incident" The scale is small, around 2500, with easy to use tools and small ships for a diorama that looks pretty good on a desk or a shelf. My only complaints with the kit would have to be that they only give you 2 drill bits... (had to buy extras from the local hobby shop), and the grain of wheat bulbs just don't have the intensity you would want. I did a second one of these after the fact, using LEDs/1k ohm resistors on a 9v power source, leaving the sound portion running on 3 AA batteries. Check it out, can prolly find them pretty cheap on Ebay, got both of mine for about $15 USD + shipping.

Here is a link to starshipmodler review/build up:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/mk_incident.htm

*Do note that the D7s here are actually Romulan, and not Klingon! Also ignore the instructions to paint the big clear globe like a planet, you'll only be disappointed in the results  :o

I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Julien

• Admiral
  • Call me Ju...
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »
Welcome, Adam.

The 1:1000 refit is a great kit for starters... But if you already have some experience in model building, you may want something with more room for a first lit kit... the Enterprise C or D comes to mind, the major difficulty is to get the wire to the nacelles...

My advice would be to go for a model that you actually want to build... At first, you think you're gonna have the time to make all the star trek kit that exist, but you don't... So, choose one that you want to build and to keep even though may not be "that good"...

Offline admiraladama

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:41 am »
Thanks for the reception!

I'm more than comfortable building and painting models, been doing it a while now.

After having a look around and a good think, I'm tempted to do the enterprise family, starting with either TOS enterprise or the nx-01, but in 1:1000 scale.

It's the lighting I'm not comfortable with, but I need to start somewhere. What kit do I need to get started, soldering iron, wire strippers, cables etc?

Adam.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:44:14 am »
Hello Adam. Welcome the the forum. Glad you joined us here.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 09:40:50 am »
Welcome Adam and nice to see we have another member from over the pond. Jump right in and enjoy. :)
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »
Welcome!  Yea the 1000 scale ships are great.  That scale is getting popular.  There are a few new 1000 scale trek ships about to hit this and next year including the TOS with the Botany Bay, NX 01 refit and The Reliant.   
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Offline Sean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:45:39 pm »
welcome aboard and have fun you are going to enjoy yourself hope to see you on voice comms

Offline Sean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:06 pm »
welcome aboard and have fun you are going to enjoy yourself hope to see you on voice comms

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »
Welcome Adam  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »
welcome to the forums.hope you enjoy it here.its full of great people.
you better trek yourself before you wreck yourself

Enterprise © Bloc