Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building the AMT/Ertl 1/450 Scale Star Trek U.S.S. Defiant  (Read 8511 times)

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
Re: Building the AMT/Ertl 1/450 Scale Star Trek U.S.S. Defiant
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »
The weather has eased up on the heat and I finally had a day in the shop to work on the Defiant again.
I finished doing all of the internal lighting and opened up the row of window ports on the bottom of the model.

I installed the mounting rod and glued the front and rear engine bulkheads in place on the top side of the hull halves.
The worst gaps on this kit are around the edges of the engines at the front and rear. So I wanted to be able to work
them at the top side first to get the best fit. After that, I glued the upper and lower halves together.

I'll let that dry over night and then start on the seam filling and final paint details and touchup.

Here's a link to the latest video update at You Tube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p19Khdhe0kw

I'll have some updated pictures posted here in the thread soon.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:22:02 pm by TrekWorks »
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 10:10:50 pm »
Hi guys,
I have made some more progress on the Defiant kit. I've been working on filling the seams and gaps with putty.
Some of the gaps were fairly large around the engine bulkhead edges. I decided to use some Squadron White putty
since it works well for filling in those big gaps. It took 2-3 applications of the putty with sanding in between to come around.

I also used some 3M Red putty to top coat the small pits left in the White putty. After the putty work I'll be repainting the details
lost from the sanding. Then, it's on to decals.

Here are a couple pics of the first coat of putty and sanding the seams.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:17:22 pm by TrekWorks »

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »
Whew! After a few hours of sanding and re filling the seams I've made it to the promised land!

Here are some pictures of the Defiant after the paint detail is done and the decals have been put on.
I used some Testors Decal Bonder to make sure the decals would lay down nice and flat.

I was happy too that the yellowing of the old decal sheet didn't look bad on the model.
After I let the Bonding agent dry, I sealed it all up with a couple coats of Testors Dull Coat.

She's all mounted up on a Polar Lights Base and I wired a 9 volt wall wart to it with a single push switch to operate the lights.

All that's left now is to do some weathering detail to it. I plan on doing a combination of a wash and some airbrushing here and there. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 11:25:12 pm by TrekWorks »

Offline TrekkieJamie

• Commander
  • "Tough Little Ship" ..... "Little!?!"
    • TrekkieModeler Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 12:33:22 am »
Waw, I hope mine end up like that Boyd. I have all the parts needed now but I think I will let my skills flourish on a few newer easy to get hold of models before I tackle this rarity ;-)

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 09:58:32 am »
Very nice work, the decals really make it pop imo.  Looking forward to seeing your weathering :)

Jmar

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 12:03:30 pm »
Boyd,

Just watched your last two videos. Excellent build!

I might have to rebuild mine for lighting ;)

Jmar

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 10:17:09 pm »
I've just finished up the weathering detailing on the Defiant. I used both a wash and a little airbrush work to make her look a little worn and battle tested. I found a neat little trick for doing the wash. I used some crushed up artist's chalk mixed with water.
The tip is to add a couple of drops of dish soap to the mix. The soap makes the wash flow with more control over where you want it to go and stay there without running too much. Pretty slick. i i used a few colors like yellow oxide and black and grey to airbrush on streaks at the leading edges. So that's it ans it's all finished up.

Link to the Finale vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZDmMuIsjc

The kit was fun and challenging and I hope to see some other builds of the kit from you guys here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:44:30 pm by TrekWorks »

Offline TrekkieJamie

• Commander
  • "Tough Little Ship" ..... "Little!?!"
    • TrekkieModeler Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 04:11:45 am »
Simply, it's much more than a little ship... ;-)

Jmar

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 09:00:14 am »
She looks great, Boyd!

Thanks for sharing the complete build :)

Jmar

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 09:38:15 am »
Very nice, the weathering really seals the deal.  Great work Boyd, looking forward to the next one :)

Enterprise © Bloc