Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AMT/Round 2 Vulcan Shuttle  (Read 6354 times)

Jmar

Re: AMT/Round 2 Vulcan Shuttle
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »
I strated the decals. I'm undecided on how I feel about them.

The solvaset isn't doing a great job on the edges of panels. It seems to me there's not enough excess decall material so the decal edges stays fairly rigid and don't 'mold'.

I've also had problems with tearing. Luckily I've been able to work around most and the others that chipped I'll just work that into the weathering.

JMar

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »
Your decals look good to me Jmar.  I haven't had a single model yet where I haven't torn a decal, and except for the real tiny ones I can generally make it look alright.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but Boyd recommends using testor's decal bonder.  Not sure it would help in situations where they won't lay down properly around a corner, but I'm gonna be trying it out on the galactica.

Keep it coming :)

Jmar

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 05:29:22 pm »
I'll look into that :)

I've been using micro set for placement and micro sol or solvaset depending on the decals. So far niether micro sol or solvaset have been working, for me anyway. Of course I haven't done a kit with decals as extensive as this one.

JMar

Jmar

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »
Good to know, I'll see how the rest of it goes.

I'm going to paint the landing pads on the sled instead of using the decals. Otherwise I think the decals on the sled are mostly flat and if so it'll be smooth sailing.

As usual I'll keep everyone posted ;)

Jason

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 01:06:31 am »
Good job hanging in there on it Jmar. Yep, those round 2 decals are prone to tearing in some cases.
You've got it looking good and the color mix goes well with the decals. Rock on!
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Jmar

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 11:54:02 am »
So, this decal process is really slow going.

having done 75% of the crew cabin now I'd say the most complex spot is bulge on the sides (door?). The decal doesn't form fit very well...AT ALL.

I used a fair amount of solvaset (I should note here that I've never had a decal wrinkle with solvaset, as they're apparently supposed to). Anyway I let it sit and it got better, so I added more solvaset. A lot more.

By the time I left for work it was settling down and wrinkling. I guess I'll see how it turned out in 9 hours

JMar

Jmar

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 11:54:52 am »
pics...

Jmar

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:42 pm »
That could be...

Ah well, whatever happens I'll just find a way to hide it with weathering ;)

JMar

Jmar

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:40 am »
Alright, here's what I've figured out.

The decals (at least this set anyway) is apt to tear easily, so take care when placing them. *note: I had a couple tear when they came out of the water and were sitting on paper towel before application

Also they need LOTS of solvent. I ended up applying it 3-4 times (only once for flat surfaces though). After letting them sit while at work and then agian over night, they settled right down. Thew first one tore a bit, but that's because of the amount of movement from me during initial placement. The other side has some slight ripples but otherwise it went on much smoother.

I'm looking forward to moving onto the sled...

Jmar

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:29 pm »
All done!

I gotta be honest, when I started the decals and the kept tearing and chipping I didn't think this was gonna work out in my favour.

JMar

Jmar

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »
All the weathering was done with the Timya kit (snow, rust and soot).

I used a brush first to dull it with the 'snow'. Then I used the supplied sponge and went to town with rsut and soot streaks. I should note I also used the 'rust' and 'dust' and coated the bottoms of the nacelles and crew module. I hope it turned out, you should be able to see the gradually thinning 'dust' and the bottom edges of both vehicles.

A also chipped the paint down to the primer wherever a decal chipped that I wasn't able to hide with weathering.

JMar

Jmar

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »
Fraley,

I'll get the good camera out and do some better shots for the Gallery.

I should do that for K-7 as well...

JMar

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 02:38:56 pm »
Perfectly done Warp Sled Jmar. The weathering brought it all together. Thanks for sharing this fine build.
Looking forward to seeing many more from you. You've got talent kid. :)
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Jmar

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »
Thanks Trekworks, I appreciate the compliment!

I see you're hot my Vulcan shuttle heels ;)

JMar

Enterprise © Bloc