Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (New Build) - MBF-P02 Gundam Astray [Red Frame] - Perfect Grade 1:60 Scale  (Read 4668 times)

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
I know Gundam is not a common build on here, but the Perfect Grade Kits are a thing of beauty as far as engineering goes.  I assuming not many people here have built one before, but maybe I am way off, either way I figured it would be something different to look.  Gundam is what got me back into modeling, the engineering on these kits just amazes me.  The kits are just like any other model kit, the parts come attached to a multitude of plastic runners.  The Kit types come in a range of scales, but the most common seem to be 1:144, 1:100, and 1:60 scale.  1:60 Scale is considered "Perfect Grade", and probably represents the best they have to offer.  The higher level kits generally consist of some sort of inner frame/skeleton that might range from a partial/integrated frame meaning that the frame cannot stand alone without the armor pieces, to a full frame which means that the kit can stand alone without its armor like one of those skeletons they have in biology class  ;D

This 1:60 Perfect Grade kit comes with around 34 Runners, 1 led, 3 diecast parts, & decals/stickers.   I started building this kit last night, and spent about 4 hours on it just cutting, trimming & assembling the pieces.  After using 100+ parts, I still barely have anything to show...  :P   Below are some photos of the parts so far.  They are the upper thighs & knees & the feet.  Now the thighs & knees are only the inner skeleton/frame and still require numerous armor pieces before they are even done.

I don't expect this to be everyone's "thing", but I figured it be a cool change of pace to look at a different realm of scifi and what better than a giant samurai robot?  ;D

Also this is my first time posting a photo set like this, I linked them from photobucket.  They are okay as is, or do I need to shrink them down due to sight size limits (I saw there is a limit size of 800, but I was under the assumption that wouldn't apply if it was linked from photobucket?  Please correct me if I am wrong so I can correct this now and for the future, Thanks!!  ;)

(These are the feet, which seem to be completely finished)

(these are the Thighs & Knees, which as stated are partially complete)

(Note:  One thigh/knee is articulated to show the range of motion it will have.  You can see that the upper thigh pieces slide apart to reveal chrome pistons & allow articulation, while the lower knee extends out as it articulates)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:30:54 pm by NetworkWraith »

Offline Sam

• Captain
    • YouTube
Nice!  Really looking forward to this.

Offline xray

• Captain
 8) Nice paint
Scott
That's no moon it's a space station.

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
Thanks  ;D

I wish I could claim any credit for paint on this one, but alas I cannot...   :'(

For the moment it is all natural, gonna piece it together before I make any decisions on it paint wise.  I know I have some panel lining to do with a wash & some clear to spray no matter what I do.   I have a feeling there will be some details to paint in though, no matter what. 

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
Although I am not a big Gundam fan there are some of the kits that look interesting.

Waiting patiently to see your come to life!!

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
I wouldn't call myself a huge Gundam Fan either Kenny, I really have never even seen the show.  Some of the kits and their engineering catch my eye   :)

Well, after another 6+ hours I have legs. I swear I must be at least 300+ parts in at this point, and there is still a giant box left to go  ;D

Anyhow, here are a couple pictures of where I am at.  You'll see a couple shots of the legs from each side, and a pair of photos of an articulated leg.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:37:54 pm by NetworkWraith »

dlots1701a

as my friend spacepirate will tell you it not one show it's many different shows

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
Never really looked closely at a Gundam before, but does anyone else see a strong resemblance to
Iron Man's suit?

The boots and leg armor looks similar to me!

Curious!!!!

Offline Bierce Mountain

• Commander
I'm interested to see how this all comes together. I've got a Gundam kit myself and look forward to building it.

Gundam must be huge in Japan based on the number of kits Bandai has released. There must be 100+ on the market based on what I've seen on eBay. Some of them are bloody expensive too.
My favorite model is the one I haven't bought yet.

Offline Chad "Horrible Modeler"

• Commander
I own a few gundam kits. I've built a few hg kits and I have an rx-78 mg kit and a justice gundam pg kit. I've never painted one but I will paint the next one I do. The kit engineering is insane as you know and the detail and articulation is nearly lifelike. I love the model you're working on. The red and whites are great together.

They say you need to put them together and then make a plan for painting. But, you need to separate those parts so when you get into building armor you should enlarge the peg holes or sand down the pegs so you can get them apart.

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
yeah, the prices go up based on scale & complexity.  Though I have to say, I have never built one yet and said after that it wasn't worth the money.  This one is the most expensive one I have ever touched, but putting it together you know why it costs what it does.  As far as painting, I am just putting it together and then deciding on paint.  I think I may do the armor, and leave the frame the maroon.  So thankfully most of the armor pieces on this one are relatively easy to separate.  I have to say the hardest part of the whole build so far has been assembling the LED Lightswitch box. 

Building this just makes me excited to see Boyd build the Yamato, that kit is looks crazy.  Hopefully he understands the electronics instructions on that better than I did the LED assembly instructions on this... LoL. 

** Here is a picture of the parts, for scale the Xacto Blade is the small pencil thick handle.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:55:53 pm by NetworkWraith »

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
Got some more done the last couple nights, getting closer.  The tachi is actually taller than the kit, it is over a foot long. Also, sorry about the blurry photo of the cockpit, but my camera refuses to focus on the pilot that I ended up hand painting.  Hopefully I can finish up the rest this weekend, and then decide on a paint plan.

Offline Sam

• Captain
    • YouTube
WOW!  Really coming along nicely.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
Very nice!!
Interesting kit!!!

Enterprise © Bloc