Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/537 TWOK Refit build w/scratchbuilt shuttlebay and lighting  (Read 36813 times)

Offline Startrek_kev

• Commander
  • Chance Favors the Prepared Mind
Re: 1/537 ST V Enterprise Refit build. my first in over a decade!
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2014, 10:34:02 am »
Very nice work on this build so far.  I commend you for adding so much detail to this scale model.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
Re: 1/537 ST V Enterprise Refit build. my first in over a decade!
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2014, 01:29:51 am »
Ok got some of the not-so-strongback glued and added a little reinforcement. (Dicided to ignore the misalligned struts... for now) I will probably ad more reinforcement late Not happy with all the the windows on the secondary hull,  so some i gouged out so i can give milliput a try, and some I patched as iaIdid on the b/c decks so I could drill fresh holes in fresh styrene and have nice clean veiwports
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
Re: 1/537 TWOK Refit build w/scratchbuilt shuttlebay and lighting
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2014, 09:40:16 am »
Well, it looks like this old girl will be put on hold for a couple weeks. Gotta make room
 On the bench for the iron modeler build! I shall return!!!  ;D
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline crowe-t

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »
Great job so far on everything!  I never realized how off and warped these old AMT kits were until I started building them again.  You are going above and beyond correcting this kit's issues. 

BTW, what size square brass tube are you using inside the nacelle pylons?

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2014, 03:58:33 pm »
Ok, couldnt stand it! The shuttlebay exterior on this this was molded by a blind gorilla with the shakes!!! Ive tried and tried but I can only do so much whith what I'm given.  There just is not enough plastic in the right places for me to be able to sculpt an accurate shuttle bay with the existing model. ( I have included a high contrast image of the shuttle day, just so you can see how bad it is... It looks like it was sculpted in the dark from clay buy a preschooler!) therefore, I have ordered a clear shuttle bay exterior from DLM which I will use to accuraize the aft section of the hull
 This will also solve another problem, and another reason for my frustration and my decision. I was wondering how in the world I was going to fit the necessary lights in. I had the flashing strobe on the top I had the red control room lights and had the blue lights on either side of the doors... There was just no room to do that with the existing shuttle bay.

On the Brightside, I also finally got some milliput! Hopefully this will be helpful and fixing some of my window and pylon issues.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2014, 05:34:56 pm »
Got my new shuttlebay in from DLM this week. On a commision build of a couple blasters from Star Wars, but I wanted to let you know that as soon as I'm finished I'll be getting right back on this puppy. Pretty happy with the part. Great detailsbuild however, there is a little bit of warping on the underside. Should not be too hard to fix with some putty though. Also need to get some clear paints for the blue and red. Need to also figure out how yo do the strobe on top and somehow isolate it so that it doeant light up the whole thing with every flash.

Offline r0bert

• Captain
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2014, 06:18:42 pm »
great work

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 03:18:26 pm »
How is that clear tail piece working out for you?
Also, did you ever locate any more PE for the 537?

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »
Haven't tried the clear piece yet, as I have been busy with Iron modeler and also the blaster builds. Hopefully I will do some work on it before the spring build kicks off. No luck on the P.E. I have been searching everywhere, and even emailed that guy you told me about, but no luck. :(

Enterprise © Bloc