Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Moebius: Cylon Raider  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
Moebius: Cylon Raider
« on: September 17, 2012, 01:29:30 pm »
Hello all,

Just finished up with this project, took about 2 weeks of weekends and after work. Was a fun and relatively quick build up. I used a Starling lighting kit for it, which was neat cause it was "plug and play", no major modifications required. Take a look here:

http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/Jimmypop57/Moebius%20Cylon%20Raider/

-Jimmypop57
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Moebius: Cylon Raider
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »
Thanks Fraley! I completely shelved my TOS Potempkin build when the supplies came in for this. Not entirely sure why, but it was one of those "have to build now" things.  8^P
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Jmar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:09 pm »
Thanks for sharing!

I've got one of those on my self. Just need to get through my trek backlog first :)

JMar

Offline Stargazer19552010

• Lieutenant
  • "He Is Here"
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »
Sweet build. I hope my Viper MkVII turns out that well.

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:31 pm »
Really nice work Jimmy, I could hear the cylon visor noise in my head when watching the vids :)

Offline simplejack

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »
That a very sinister looking model you've got there.  Is that the starling-tech lighting kit?  Were the lights difficult to install?
- Pete, Happy Modeling

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:20:13 pm »
That is a Starling lighting kit. It was really easy to install, only minor modifications required to the kit. I didn't wire up the stand the way they show it in their documentation, and instead ran the wires through a copper rod, rather than down the back of the stock stand. The one thing I didn't like about the kit is the SMD LEDs used for the roving eye effect are white. I ended up putting about 4 thick coats of Tamiya clear red on the LEDs themselves, and another 3 coats on the visor. All in all I am very pleased with the kit from Moebuis, and the lighting kit from Starling, they all fit together nicely. Don't make the mistake I did when you build this kit however, and wait until the top and bottom halves of the body are glued to try and put the top section of the engine covers on. I had to break them off, and re-glue/set them afterward. Here is a link to the Starling website, I picked up a few of the kits that are available.

http://www.starling-tech.com/index.php?id=kbop

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:11:51 pm »
Great result on the Cylon Raider Jimmy!!  The lights really do bring the sci-fi kits alive. 
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 01:24:29 pm »
Thanks! I love this ship. Now to find an old one from the original series  8^)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
Shouldn't be too hard to find Jimmy.  As you probably know, Revell re-released kits of the Raider, Basestar and Viper to mark the 30th anniversary of the show.  My boxes are dated 2007.  They added some clear parts for the lighting enthusiast!! 
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 01:38:11 pm »
Well, I was able to pick up a 30th anniversary Cylon Raider, but was a bit miffed at the price tags on the Galactica, Basestar, and Viper. Guess I'll just keep my eye out for it, really want one of the old school Galactica kits. 

Offline lotno249

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:12:50 pm »
Great stuff!  The lighting really brings it to the wow! level of modelling.
DJ
GO SPEED RACER GO!

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »
Thanks for the compliments! I love this kit and how it came out.

Enterprise © Bloc