Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Luke's Red 5 X-Wing  (Read 22297 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Luke's Red 5 X-Wing
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:03 pm »
  Here we have a classic space fighter that started a new generation of rockets,robots and ray guns.This build will  feature the 1/72 scale Fine Molds X-Wing Fighter.This is a traditional molded styrene kit from the Japanese company known for finely detailed kits of popular Star Wars space ships.

This kit was purchased from a US vendor(Federation Models) recently in the low 30's.Looking at the parts,everything is molded in crisp detail with no flash.Small parts can become quite tiny,yet highly detailed.None of the parts were dry fitted yet but the joints look to be quite clean.

The instructions are entirely written in Japanese,however the diagrams are clear enough for basic assembly.There are some important notes that are necessary for a more accurate build.In that case, these particular instructions are translated to English from Hobby Link Japan in this link http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMSW-01/Sci. The decal placement sheet is not translated.

It was decided to build this ship unlighted.All five runners of parts were washed in warm water with dishwasher fluid.In the meantime,the instructions were carefully read to understand the proper assembly sequence.The kit provides options to build four different versions (Red Leader,Red 2,Red 3, and Red 5).Each version has different engine parts,droids and markings.An added bonus is that one can choose between in flight with a stand or landed display at any time after assembly.

Tamiya primer and acrylic paints will be custom mixed to finish the ship.There is an excellent painting guide included.

There is ample research material available for assembling an accurate model.This build begs for some washes and airbrushed weathering to make for a realistic look.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:45:41 pm by Mr Atoz »
For the fun of building art.

Offline Sam

• Captain
    • YouTube
Re: Luke's Red 5 X-Wing
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:48 am »
Thanks for posting this.  I've been wanting a Fine Molds model and I will keep an eye on this build!  Looking forward to it!!! ;D

Offline Prowler901

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:09:35 am »
SWEET!  (takes a seat)  This is gonna be good. :)

dlots1701a

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:33:29 am »
Good luck Adam and remember to "Stay on Target"

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:42:24 am »
  Annnd.... IT'S AWAY! (whoooosh...BLAM!!) Dang! Just impacted the surface. :-\ ::) hehe!

Offline InsaneFinn

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 03:50:27 pm »
  Annnd.... IT'S AWAY! (whoooosh...BLAM!!) Dang! Just impacted the surface. :-\ ::) hehe!
You were supposed to build Lukes X-Wing not Porkins's.  :P

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »
This is a nice"little" kit and I do mean little!

Good kit though. Lots of detail!

Waiting to see what you do to/with it!! :)

Offline NetworkWraith

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »
I been wanting to see one of these kits up close for a while now.  I'll be watching this one  ;)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:59:08 pm »
You were supposed to build Lukes X-Wing not Porkins's.  :P
  Hahaha! Poor Porkins...Didn't even have his fifteen minutes of fame. :'( :P

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:03 pm »
This is a nice"little" kit and I do mean little!

Good kit though. Lots of detail!

Waiting to see what you do to/with it!! :)
  Yes,little indeed. :o But I just love this scale! ;D

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:02:12 pm »
  Today was the first day of assembly.Getting straight to it,construction is fairly easy.The cockpit was nearly completed to pause for painting and addition of delicate parts.The construction is similar to jet plane cockpits.Test fit of the fuselage halves were good with very little seam problems.The cockpit has two bulkheads ,front and back,cemented in place to join to the upper half of the fuselage.It was taped in place to get the correct angles.They fit in a groove in both halves.

The cannons were completed next.This is were some care must be taken with assembly.The two wings,when completed,come together and are articulated like a pair of scissors(link here, http://static.hlj.com/images/fnm/xw05.jpg ) .They can open and close.There are upper and lower engine pods that are some what similar but can be discerned from one another.However,the laser cannons appear identical.They are separated as cannons one and two;diagram here,  http://static.hlj.com/images/fnm/xw02.jpg .When ready for attachment to the wings they oppose each other so that the wings close flush and the cannons hang off the bottom wings and the upper ones sit on top.I might add also that the caps for the cannon pods and the laser cannons themselves are keyed to have the correct positions when glued.

What's neat about the options is one could make any version desired of the hero ships.The clear canopy was cut from the runners and test fitted.An open cockpit is provided and it appears it can be fitted as a closed one.The section where the astromech droids was test fitted to the upper fuselage half with the R2 unit head glued on.Just for fun the free standing R2 droid was assembled.(it's just around 1/2" high!)

Next will be some more note taking for color references and detail from an old VHS tape of the original film release.
This seams to be a quick building kit with clean fitting assembly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:48:28 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:17 pm »
 The tiniest R2-D2 I've built to date!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:42:02 pm by Mr Atoz »

Offline Sam

• Captain
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »
Wow...that's pretty cool.  I didn't know you get an entire R2-D2 like that.  I would have expected just the head to go in the ship!  The pilot looks pretty detailed as well.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:48 pm »
Wow...that's pretty cool.  I didn't know you get an entire R2-D2 like that.  I would have expected just the head to go in the ship!  The pilot looks pretty detailed as well.
Neat kit,huh?! ;D Yes,there is a free standing pilot figure and a ladder to lean against the cockpit of the fighter. 8)

Offline Sam

• Captain
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 08:49:27 pm »
Ok, that's it.  I'm getting a Fine Molds kit.  I have been a little disappointed with some of the Star Wars kits out there, especially with little to no after market items to help them out.  It's seems Fine Molds kits are the way to go for Star Wars!

Enterprise © Bloc