Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1000 D7 Romulan Capitol Ship (First Colors Down ...)  (Read 15911 times)

Offline Coder Bob

• Ensign
  • I am a Full scale builder of Robots & Droids
Re: 1/1000 D7 Romulan Capitol Ship (Dusting off the thread...)
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »
I have a lot of respect for you guys that work in this scale.
Thanks for your time.
Bob.

Offline Spencer

• Physicist and Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
Re: 1/1000 D7 Romulan Capitol Ship (Back to it ...)
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2017, 08:13:41 pm »
Hey everyone!

Dusting off this thread ... again!

I'm back to work on the 1:1000 Romulan D7 Capitol Ship. As a reminder, this is the version as seen in Star Trek: The Animated Series, with some subtle color changes of my own.

First, I had planned on making some custom decals for this kit, but I'm currently without an inkjet printer, so I'll probably just go with the supplied markers.

Second, my paint scheme will change slightly, but will still be very similar to the ones in previous posts. I just got some new paint in the mail.
I wasn't aware, but *apparently* (Rustoleum) Testors has discontinued their International Military and Figure Enamels, which included some of my colors (other forum link below).
But, I should have enough for what I need.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/299198-testors-products-being-discontinued/&tab=comments#comment-2865400

After taking a close look at the build where I left off, I noticed some surface imperfections where the main hull meets the pylons. The imperfections seem to line up with the insert tabs
used to put the pieces together. I suspect the plastic cement may have weakened the plastic enough to cause the bumps and depressions. I don't recall noticing it before I stopped
working on the model. Anyway, I've done some more puttying and sanding and should have it dealt with. I'll lay down some primer whenever it isn't so rainy here ...

Cheers,

Spencer

'If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.'
Dr. Carl Sagan

My (still WIP) youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/redshirtfreddy

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2017, 02:24:17 pm »
Primer is down and all the major sub-assemblies look good. Looks like the surface imperfections have been dealt with.

My thinner got tied up in the mail, but should be here in a couple days.
Gives me some time to think of a strategy for painting, since each color of enamel I spray will take a couple days to fully cure ...

Cheers,
Spencer
'If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.'
Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2017, 10:53:20 am »
While I wait for the rest of my paint to show up ... I've decided on a slightly different color scheme.
Note that the colors shown here might not be indicative of the final result, but should be similar.

My plan for (what were) the chrome parts is to spay a layer of silver or silver chrome, then very light coats of future mixed with some green food coloring.
This will probably be one of the last steps (after a dull coat) since I want to keep them glossy.

Cheers
Spencer
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:55:20 am by Spencer »
Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2017, 04:41:30 pm »
First colors brushed down, at least on some detail parts. Will probably spray another coat of yellow when the enamel cures.

Will hopefully have some main hull color down early in the week.

BTW, my plan on this kit is to put the colors down, let them cure, then spray several misting coats of Future to get that "wet" look.
Then, apply the decals, hit them with another couple coats of Future and finish off with some kind of dull clear.
This will be my first time spraying Future and I plan to spray it straight through the brush.

If you guys have any ideas for a nice dull coat that can be sprayed over Future, then let me know ...

NOTE: color may be a bit off because of the orange

Cheers,
Spencer
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:44:47 pm by Spencer »
Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2017, 03:03:38 pm »
This is going to be sweet!
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2017, 02:08:35 pm »
This is going to be sweet!

Thanks Mark!

First hull color is now down! Had some time this morning to mix my colors and spray over lunch. Been chomping at the bit ...

I'm not overly concerned about overspray here, I just don't want to get too much paint into those grill pieces. Turns out 1/8" wide vinyl tape
is just about perfect for the nacelle grills.

For those playing along at home:
I'm using Model Masters enamels. Specifically here, 30% Fulcrum Grey/Green and 70% White.
I'm thinning the paint using Testors Universal Enamel Thinner (in the red can) and spraying at 22psi, holding the brush about 3-4 inches from the surface.

If you can't see the color well in the image below, that's actually good. I'm spraying the lightest colors so it will be easier to cover up any overspray
with my darker colors.

The color in this shot is a bit less subtle

I'm a bit rusty with the airbrush, but am quickly getting back into it. Just a couple spots to clean up, but nothing I can't handle.

Now I play the waiting game, at least 2-3 days for this to fully cure before I move on to the next color.

Cheers,
Spencer
Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline whb64

• Captain
Re: 1/1000 D7 Romulan Capitol Ship (First Colors Down ...)
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2017, 07:27:53 pm »
Looking good!  :)

Enterprise © Bloc