Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1000 D7 Romulan Capitol Ship (Gloss Coat ...)  (Read 17998 times)

Offline Spencer

• Physicist and Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
    • My Google+ Page
Re: 1/1000 D7 Romulan Capitol Ship (Painting ...)
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2017, 11:19:17 am »
Thanks RockyD!

I saw those Bird of Payne decals over at Federation Models and I am seriously considering getting those for a future build.

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »
A short update. I'm under the weather and it will be a couple days before I do any more.

I've painted some of the detail on the "top hat"

To mask, I applied some Tamiya tape and used a toothpick to trace out the edges. After cutting the edge using a fresh blade,
I carefully peeled away the tape.

Don't mind the lint, it's from the paper towel ...

The first coat of yellow and the orange.

I was going to brush on some white first so I wouldn't have to re-coat the yellow ... but forgot. D'OH!
I'll be sure to spray some on the big dome before I spray on the orange ...

Spencer

Offline RockyD

• Ensign
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2017, 06:10:22 pm »
 I hate yellow I think its one of the hardest colors to paint, white undercoat is usually a good idea.

I am actually building the Romulan Battle Cruiser version of the D-7 now, and I have no idea what polar lights did to this kit maybe the molds are getting old or maybe the plastic is different but nothing fits and theres tons of flash. I have built the older versions of this kit and don't remember it being such a pain to work with.

yours is looking good  8)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:13:16 pm by RockyD »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »
I hate yellow I think its one of the hardest colors to paint, white undercoat is usually a good idea.

I am actually building the Romulan Battle Cruiser version of the D-7 now, and I have no idea what polar lights did to this kit maybe the molds are getting old or maybe the plastic is different but nothing fits and theres tons of flash. I have built the older versions of this kit and don't remember it being such a pain to work with.

yours is looking good  8)

Thanks RockyD. The fit on this kit wasn't great either. Had to do a bunch of work where the nacelles attach to
the main hull and there was more flash than I was expecting when i opened it up. The 1/1000 Enterprise I built
before this definitely went together better. Definitely not a snap kit IMO.

Feeling a little better today. Put another coat of yellow on, looks pretty good I think.
Did some other touch ups on the main hull, but hopefully will get more accents on later in the week.

Practicing with Future and clear coats now. Hope to have something chosen in time for the top coat.
Thread here:
http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=7164.msg91714#msg91714

Cheers,
Spencer
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:19:11 pm by Spencer »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • All I ask is a tall ship & a star to steer her by.
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 12:22:33 pm »
Spencer, your painting and masking skills are the stuff of legend! So clean and precise!

Excellent work here!

Qapla'!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 12:43:28 pm »
Thanks Steve,

I'm one of those "slow and steady wins the race" kind of folks.
Although it has taken two hiatuses over 4 years to get back to some progress, LOL.

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2017, 07:41:19 am »
Spencer, as you may have seen by my Protector build, I am a slow builder, too. So I understand the characteristic. While I am not "four years hiatus while defending my PhD" kind of slow, I am slower than most! ;D

Still, this Battle Cruiser is looking good and that you came back to the bench is highly commendable!

Stay the course and steady as she goes!

Steve
"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2017, 12:51:18 pm »
Spencer, as you may have seen by my Protector build, I am a slow builder, too. So I understand the characteristic. While I am not "four years hiatus while defending my PhD" kind of slow, I am slower than most! ;D

Still, this Battle Cruiser is looking good and that you came back to the bench is highly commendable!

Stay the course and steady as she goes!

Steve

And I plan to stay back as well! I'll be looking for a new job come Spring/Summer, but regardless of where I end up, I'll be building.

"As you always said, if something's important you make the time!."
                                 - From a certain miracle worker.

Anyway, waiting on a replacement airbrush tip. >:(  None of the other accents I think would look all that great hand painted.
Making progress on getting my test surface(s) sprayed with Future. Also gives me some time to play around with circuit ideas
for future builds.

That's about it for now.

Cheers,
Spencer
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:56:32 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »
Another small update,

My replacement airbrush tip arrived in the mail, so what better way to test it out than the most difficult detail to mask, spray and touch-up!  ::)

I didn't take pictures of the masking, was too focused ...

I thinned some flat white and international orange a little more than normal and sprayed at a lower pressure, ~ 17 PSI, to limit overspray and
paint buildup. After spraying a couple thin coats of white and letting it dry for a few minutes, I then sprayed the orange. A little overspray
and paint bleed, but still looks nice and is to be expected for these kind of shapes.

Will do some touch ups later and spray more accents on the other sub-assemblies.

Cheers,
Spencer
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:15:07 pm by Spencer »

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2017, 01:26:33 pm »
More accents down.

This time, some Interior Blue/Green on the neck supports and the parts that hold the upper flux chillers.
Really pleased how the masking turned out this time.

The ribbed pieces on the neck will get 50/50 Interior Blue/Green and Neutral Gray. They'll be painted in one block. I won't try to mask
in between them, there isn't really a gap there that I can see.

Again I wait ...

Spencer

Offline RockyD

• Ensign
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:16 pm »
 I am really digging on your colors something totally different then we usually see.

TAS is on Netflix and I watched a couple episodes last night. wow did that bring back memories, when I was a kid we didn't have a color TV, but I used to walk to my grandparents every sat morning to watch cartoons and eat breakfast

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2017, 11:29:40 am »
I am really digging on your colors something totally different then we usually see.

TAS is on Netflix and I watched a couple episodes last night. wow did that bring back memories, when I was a kid we didn't have a color TV, but I used to walk to my grandparents every sat morning to watch cartoons and eat breakfast

Thanks! I'm too young to have seen TAS on air, but watched a dvd marathon with my roommate. Okay, I'll admit, I tolerated it ...  ;D

Another update ... apologies for some blurry photos. My camera's battery needs recharging.

The bridge dome was sprayed Interior Blue/Green. The stripe on the underside I will (attempt) to paint orange later.
It's glossy because I thinned the enamel more than usual, and used lower pressure, to avoid runs and drips.

I masked around the recessed detail on the nacelles and sprayed the darker shade of Blue/Green, which is only a subtly different
shade than the main hull color. Not easy to see in the photo. Burnishing the edges of the tape and low pressure are key here.

I had some Testors pin striping tape to mask the area in between. Not cheap, but it did the job.

Here's the kind of look I'm going for on the front.

And most of the model dry fit. I also sprayed the top and back of the impulse assembly the darker Blue/Green color.

A couple more accents to put down, then the Future. It's all coming together!

Cheers,
Spencer
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:35:56 am by Spencer »

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »
Spencer, this is very good work, here!

I'm envious of your masking and painting skills! Very well done!

Apologies if I missed it but, are you gonna light this thing, too?  That would be cool!

Keep going!

Steve

Offline Spencer

• Admiral
    • My Google+ Page
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:16 pm »
Apologies if I missed it but, are you gonna light this thing, too?  That would be cool!

Sadly, not this particular kit.
But most kits hereafter will be lighted. I also have a couple 1/1000 NX-01s I've set aside as side projects that will be lit.
Will be working on those as time permits ...

I'm actually spending most of my time with my folks for the next few days and getting my workspace reorganized, but I should probably give
a small update.

After testing various flat clears over Future. I've pretty much decided to go with either Krylon UV-Resistant Matte Clear or Krylon Matte Finish for this
build. I have a couple more kinds of clear to test, but don't expect things to change.

I've also painted the impulse chiller grills Model Master Chrome Silver. My plan is to spray Future mixed with green food coloring over that to give it a kind of
colored metallic look.

Hopefully some more pics later in the week.

Cheers,
Spencer

Offline RockyD

• Ensign
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:35 pm »
I do love the colors you are choosing for this build it gives it kinda a real/animated look if that makes any sense

Enterprise © Bloc