Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/350 project (WIP)  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
Re: 1/350 project (WIP)
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 01:14:29 am »
A few words from a "veteran" as you call us,

Your paint work looks great including color choice, Decal work is clean and neat.
She is a beautiful build, be damn proud of her. I would be.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 01:25:20 am »
My pleasure DI. Over the last two months, I have rediscovered my love for this hobby after so many years away from it, so I am always happy to encourage others to continue with it.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline DIfromPI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 01:44:35 am »
I appreciate it fellas. Tankton, I meant no offense with the "Veterans" tag. Nothing but the utmost respect for you all and your builds and it can be intimidating posting stuff on here with the caliber of work that you see day to day. I Just know that some of things I said were things you guys no doubt learned in the trenches long ago. Again,nothing but the utmost respect...
Appreciate you all taking a moment to look at my work and say a few words. Many thanks.

Offline Garbaron

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 07:39:55 am »
Heheh ... yeah  ... building a 1/350 Refit is not an easy thing to do and will take A LOT of time and drive you across the wall, up the ceiling and down again on the other side now and then (lit or unlit alike). But once you hit a stretch goal, like completing the secondary hull, attaching the saucer etc. and you lean back and look at her... it's well worth that effort!

And don't be too hard on yourself. All our builds have flaws. I got more dust sealed in the clear coat then I want to but it happened, I can't change it anymore and is only visible if you get real close and personal and does not distract me from what I could do with the model. 

Judging from your pictures you did a great job putting her together and your color choices are not too far off had you opted for the 1701-A it would be even more fitting. And from personal experience I can tell you ... give it some time .. like two, three weeks where you dont look that close anymore like you do when you paint the details, apply decals and such .. and then come back to her .. you'll look at the ship with different eyes and you'll think "did I really do all that?!"

So keep it up cos it looks great already :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:44:44 am by Garbaron »

Offline cryogenic-death

• Federation Flesh Consumer
  • Admiral
  • Refit Fiend
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:06 am »
...at least I am finishing it and not letting it set in the garage like it did for 7 or so years.

I have this kit and I hope I dont do that.  :-\

I dont even have the backbone to start mine.

DI...I think the model looks gorgeous and I only hope and wish mine turns out as good as yours. Be proud man. Very nice job so far.

IMHO...no model is perfect. Even the studio ones have flaws.

Anxious to see the nacelles on this baby.  ;)

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 11:33:46 am »
Looking good! Keep it up.
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2013, 04:03:35 pm »
No offense taken. I just meant even us veterans have a bad day
and get frustrated and start to think "What the He-- Did I Get Myself
Into." We can learn a lot from you guys too. I've been modeling
for thirty some odd years and still can learn a lot. 
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline DIfromPI

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »
Gents, I really do appreciate the words of encouragement and the kind words in regards to my build. Its folks like yourself who are instrumental in maintaining the great reputation this group has.
Garabon, many thanks. Agreed, should have made her the -A version, and there was a time where I took a look at her and said the same; unfortunately the strongbacks were already on and I had past the point of going back and changing it. I am do stuck on the original 1701 that, even through all the builds I did of the 1/537 as a kid, id cut the A off the decals. Hope that with the next build I do of the 1/350 Refit I hit as close to the mark as you did with yours. There's no doubt it has inspired a lot of the folks currently building it; you set a standard in which to shoot for!
Cryo, put down the GTA and get to work Brother! JK, no doubt that you'll get to it and like I said, with the work you've posted on here you'll do good things with it. Once you start you'll be hooked; agreed,don't commit the sin I did and let her sit for all that time. Glad I found this group and you folks, this keeps me going!
Jimmy, many thanks man. Getting ready to start work on one of my 1/537s after my next build (think I'm gonna go with this Ktinga I got sitting here, take the leap and attempt lighting for the first time). Going to definetly use your recent build and study some of things you did with it.thanks again.
Tankton,really glad you didn't take offense. Meant it with the most respect. If I helped you out in any way you are most welcome.
Again, many thanks to you all.Hope to have this finished by next week, otherwise it will be about a month before I can conttinue.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:00 pm »
There has been times I've looked at somebody's first or second build and
went "DUH" Why didn't I do it that way? Just because we've been in the trenches
doesn't mean we learned or remembered a lot. I've gotten inspiration on quite a
few projects looking at how the "newbies" are doing it. LOL
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com