Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Dremel do you recommend?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
  • So many models...so little time!
What Dremel do you recommend?
« on: September 29, 2012, 01:23:00 pm »
So I'm ready to upgrade to a "real" Dremel, but I'm having a little trouble choosing one as there are many choices. I've been reading the reviews on amazon for several models and I'm at a loss on what one to choose. I was leaning toward the stylus for cordless, but I have concerns with the grip and being able to get in to tight spaces.

So, what do you guys use, and suggest for me to consider? I'm looking to spend under $80 if it can be helped, but still open to suggestions over that price.

Thanks guys!
You gonna light that thing?

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
Re: What Dremel do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
The Dremel Stylus is pretty nice. It fits your hand well and can fit in tight spots. The speed control on it is a bit more accurate than the standard one. Of coarse the original has it's uses too and only it can be mounted in the optional press which is very handy.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Schweinhund

• Commander
    • Schweinhund Models
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »
As I reply to this... I am looking at my set up !   

I have purchased years ago...  maybe almost 10 years ago...  a JOB-MATE from Canadian Tire store ! (# 54-4777-0) at a mere 10$  during Christmas !   You know, one of those "Boxing" for Dads, type of deal...  you know !   a Stock stuffer or The type of gift a Kids would be able to afford for his or her Dads ???     

It looks and feels like a Dremel beside being RED and black... vs  Grey and Black... and it has all the same whistles !  but for a fraction of the price! 

I'm sure other places like "Princess Auto" in Canada or "Harbour Freight" in USA would carry such a thing !!!   either single or in a Box set ....

and guess what !  it comes with a Chuck "Collar" !  Which "unscrews" and has the same Thread pattern as the DREMEL brand.

I was able to fit the DREMEL "Flex shaft" to my JOB-MATE copy no problem...  The Dremel Flex shaft alone is expensive, and the stylus is very handy for hand carving with Burs and files and drilling holes and such !    I was very surprised and Happy to see it FIT so nicely to a Chinese copy !

So I got all that for a fraction of a FULL Dremel set !   

Food for thoughts !    you don't have to spend 100$ ...   

and I bough a New Chuck for the Stylus !  which enables me fitting my micro drills and larger Burrs without the need of an Adapter !   

I'm very happy with this set up and it will last me Years.... 

If you come across this JOB-MATE (# 54-4777-0)  buy in confidence !!!  its a workhorse !   and compatible with Dremel Flex Shaft !

Later !

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »
The Dremel Stylus is pretty nice. It fits your hand well and can fit in tight spots. The speed control on it is a bit more accurate than the standard one. Of coarse the original has it's uses too and only it can be mounted in the optional press which is very handy.

The press accessory is really cool and if I were to get the original Dremel I would eventually get that as well. I'm kinda leaning toward the stylus though but haven't made the decision yet. Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:51:32 pm »
I have a standard Dreemel and have never used the Stylus version.  I can't remember which model I have and it's put away in storage at the moment.  I can tell you that even on the lowest speed setting, my Dremel will melt styrene plastic if you're not careful.  But still a very hand tool to have in your arsenal!  :-)

The melting plastic is a concern for sure. Since the janky rotary tool I have is either on or off, the plastic always melts. It runs at 18,000 RPM according to the description on Harbor Freight website.
Makes things a little more difficult for sure, but not impossible.

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »
As I reply to this... I am looking at my set up !   

I have purchased years ago...  maybe almost 10 years ago...  a JOB-MATE from Canadian Tire store ! (# 54-4777-0) at a mere 10$  during Christmas !   You know, one of those "Boxing" for Dads, type of deal...  you know !   a Stock stuffer or The type of gift a Kids would be able to afford for his or her Dads ???     

It looks and feels like a Dremel beside being RED and black... vs  Grey and Black... and it has all the same whistles !  but for a fraction of the price! 

I'm sure other places like "Princess Auto" in Canada or "Harbour Freight" in USA would carry such a thing !!!   either single or in a Box set ....

and guess what !  it comes with a Chuck "Collar" !  Which "unscrews" and has the same Thread pattern as the DREMEL brand.

I was able to fit the DREMEL "Flex shaft" to my JOB-MATE copy no problem...  The Dremel Flex shaft alone is expensive, and the stylus is very handy for hand carving with Burs and files and drilling holes and such !    I was very surprised and Happy to see it FIT so nicely to a Chinese copy !

So I got all that for a fraction of a FULL Dremel set !   

Food for thoughts !    you don't have to spend 100$ ...   

and I bough a New Chuck for the Stylus !  which enables me fitting my micro drills and larger Burrs without the need of an Adapter !   

I'm very happy with this set up and it will last me Years.... 

If you come across this JOB-MATE (# 54-4777-0)  buy in confidence !!!  its a workhorse !   and compatible with Dremel Flex Shaft !

Later !

Being here in California, our option is Harbor Freight. It's where I got my tools I use now, except for my airbrush. They have a couple of options as far as Dremel like tools, and I have been considering them as well. I know for the price you can't really beat them.
Thanks!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »
Hi Big Rob.  Great news on getting the new weapon!!  I went the similar route to Norm.  I bought a Mastercraft, available at Canadian Tire here in Canada.  It's sort of like your Ace hardware stores in the US.  I got the tool itself, the flexshaft, the tool hanger/holder and a nice wooden box of I don't know how many hundred accessories.  It was marked down some 70%.  I think I shelled out a mesely $30ish dollars for the whole kit. The thing I really like about this particular one is it has a dial potentiometer for speed control.  I can get it turning from ridiculously slow to ridiculously fast.  I highly recomend the flexshaft.  I tend to use the flexshaft 99.99% of the time.  My point being is Norms right.  If you hunt around a bit for a sort of generic type rig you can save some dollars.  Good luck with the shopping Big Rob and enjoy!! 
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:44:30 pm »
Big Rob, Harbor Freight has a cordless unit with a flex shaft:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-tools/96-volt-cordless-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-92880.html

They also have the following accessory kit with a lot of tool options on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/2581/category/694/

I use harbor freight for a lot of my modeling tools, they have a great selection of micro bits, files, cheap clamps, etc. available.  I own a standard corded Dremil that I have had before Harbor Freight opened in my area.  Having a flex shaft is very useful.  The next item that I hope to get is that Dremil Press that TrekWorks uses. 
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:32:22 pm »
Hi Big Rob.  Great news on getting the new weapon!!  I went the similar route to Norm.  I bought a Mastercraft, available at Canadian Tire here in Canada.  It's sort of like your Ace hardware stores in the US.  I got the tool itself, the flexshaft, the tool hanger/holder and a nice wooden box of I don't know how many hundred accessories.  It was marked down some 70%.  I think I shelled out a mesely $30ish dollars for the whole kit. The thing I really like about this particular one is it has a dial potentiometer for speed control.  I can get it turning from ridiculously slow to ridiculously fast.  I highly recomend the flexshaft.  I tend to use the flexshaft 99.99% of the time.  My point being is Norms right.  If you hunt around a bit for a sort of generic type rig you can save some dollars.  Good luck with the shopping Big Rob and enjoy!!

Thanks Jeff. I'm all over the web on my hunt for this new tool, and believe me, saving a few $'s is always preferable, lol. Good advice on the flexshaft, I've seen some of the optional accessories for the rotary tools, I like that and I also the Dremel keyless chuck.

Decisions, decisions...

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:36:21 pm »
Big Rob, Harbor Freight has a cordless unit with a flex shaft:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-tools/96-volt-cordless-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-92880.html

They also have the following accessory kit with a lot of tool options on sale:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/2581/category/694/

I use harbor freight for a lot of my modeling tools, they have a great selection of micro bits, files, cheap clamps, etc. available.  I own a standard corded Dremil that I have had before Harbor Freight opened in my area.  Having a flex shaft is very useful.  The next item that I hope to get is that Dremil Press that TrekWorks uses.

Thanks for the links! I was looking at the 9.6 kit at harbor freight and it has mixed reviews. But I'm sure for model building it would be ok. I wonder if the multipro keyless chuck works with it?

Offline TrekkieJamie

• Commander
  • "Tough Little Ship" ..... "Little!?!"
    • TrekkieModeler Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 03:33:38 pm »
I use a dremel 3000 with the dremel chuck and a dremel press work station and its great, but I will say that I do find it to be a little unstable or should i say it fluctuates slightly on the slowest speed setting.

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
Hey guys, thanks again for all the tips and suggestions! I ended up getting the Dremel stylus mostly because of the pistol grip design and being cordless. Although I really like that press so I can't rule out getting it and a Dremel 4000 in the future!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 08:48:05 am »
Hey, that's great Big Rob!!  That's a nice unit and I'm sure it will serve you very well!!
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Jmar

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 10:59:00 am »
I bought a dremel kit with the rotary tool, the flexible end, the router bit, etc. I found it a bit bulky for precision work. Now that I have the stylus it's pretty much all I use.

However I did by the drill press adaptor. I haven't got a lot of use out of it yet but I like that it gives me the option of using it as a drill press, or a bench grinder.

JMar

Offline Big Rob

• Modeling Newb
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:50:31 pm »
Hey, that's great Big Rob!!  That's a nice unit and I'm sure it will serve you very well!!

Thanks Jeff. While just about anything would've been an improvement over the one I was using up til now, I didn't think I could go wrong getting the stylus.

I bought a dremel kit with the rotary tool, the flexible end, the router bit, etc. I found it a bit bulky for precision work. Now that I have the stylus it's pretty much all I use.

However I did by the drill press adaptor. I haven't got a lot of use out of it yet but I like that it gives me the option of using it as a drill press, or a bench grinder.

JMar

Yeah I like that press adapter alot. I still plan on getting it along with a 4000.

I also got the chuck (4486) and it fits the stylus if anyone didn't know that. I didn't so figgured I'd share that info  ;D

Enterprise © Bloc