Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Attention SFMA Members, We are kicking off our Heroes themed group build for the moth of July. See the details in the SFMA special events section.

Author Topic: My current project: 1:350 refit enterprise  (Read 32827 times)

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
My current project: 1:350 refit enterprise
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:18:02 pm »
Hello all!  I thought I'd share the progress I'm making with my 1:350 Enterprise Refit.  It's certainly a big model, and I'm enjoying the challenge. 

On to the pics!

When I first got the kit, I was surprised at how large it was!  Here's a photo of some of the bits with my 1:1000 for scale:

The arboretum.  Rather than cut it all up and completely redo it from scratch, I thought I'd take what the kit came with and dress it up a little bit.

Starting the buildup on the shuttlebay:

Shuttlebay all painted with photo etch bits attached:

Shuttlebay complete:

Dry fit.  That's a big ship!!

I'm currently in a bit of a financial bind, so the project is on somewhat of a hold, but soon a lighting kit will be on order.  I'll also need to pony up for an airbrush at some point.  I can't wait to continue on this bad boy!
I've, uhh... completed my TOS kit...

TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
Re: My current project: 1:350 refit enterprise
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:39:38 pm »
Looking real good. I think that history will show that the 1/350 kit is going to be one of the best ever Trek kits.
I hope the upcoming TOS Enterprise in 1/350 will be as great of a kit is that one is.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »
She is coming along nicely!  I really like your arboretum and shuttlebay and if the quality of your work thus far is any indication, the final build will be amazing!

That's nice of you to say!  I'm really wanting this one to turn out great. 

Hey Boyd!  I'd like to see you do a build up of one of these on your Trekworks channel.  I know you have one built, but I'd really like to see what route you take for a lot of the finer details with this model!

TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:49:38 pm »
I hope to do one in the future. But as you know I'm sure, there are a lot of videos on youtube about it already.
That's a good thing though and it's helped a lot of people out. Now with the new forum up though I can do a log series build of the kit here.
Meantime, I am getting geared up for the TOS 1/350 due out in a few months.
A chance to build my favorite version which was the ship as seen in the 1st pilot will be really fun.
Can't wait to work on that classic shuttle bay!

Stargazer19552010

• Lieutenant
  • "He Is Here"
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:28:55 pm »
Great looking model so far. I am building mine now and you have given me some ideas to try. Keep up the good work.

fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »
Yessir, looking very nice Matt!  Great job with the garden and the bay.  You're right, that's a lot of ship!!
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:37 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

I'm now in a bit of a dilemma.  I was going to do the Trekmodeler lighting kit at $279, but with my fundage the way it is, that may not work.

They also sell a do-it-yourself kit at $169.  I actually can solder, and could probably wire this up with minimal fuss.  But I still like the whole plug/play of the $279 all done kit.

Which one would you all suggest?  If I can save the $110 and do it myself, that would be great, but on the other hand, there's something to be said for 'shove it in and go!'. 

SFMA

• Ensign
    • SciFiModelAction
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:57 am »
I would go for the DIY kit. I don't think you'll find the soldering all that difficult and you should be fine.
Proud Member Of The Styrene Plastic Surgeon's Club

stpaligurl

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
I understand your dilemma. It's surprising how quick the equipment and kits add up to some major bucks!

laheugan

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 10:12:09 am »
I'd save the money and solder it yourself :) as long as you keep the tip clean, watch to not burn the plastic youll be fine :P

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:14:43 am »
I think everyone here is pretty much thinking the same way I'm thinking.  Soldering it myself seems to be a good way to save $110.  Why blow the cash when I have the skill to build it up myself?  :)

Thanks for the input guys!

Lately I've been light blocking, painting the inside black then white.  I just do a little bit at a time.  Maybe I'll be done my next Christmas? ;)

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 06:30:52 pm »
Ok, the DIY lighting kit from Trekmodeler has been ordered!  I'll post pictures when it arrives and give a low down as to what it comes with and how difficult it is to build. 

I'm getting excited!

TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 07:10:34 pm »
Perfect. Looking forward to learning whats in the kit and how it is to assemble.
Incidently, I am working on putting together a guide for lighting the 1/350 with a do it yourself method in mind.
The basic lighting needed for the kit is pretty simple. From what I've worked out, you can do all of the basic lighting on the kit for around $75. About 90 % of the lighting can be done with LED tape and the rest with some standard LED's. And even better, the wiring for this will be minimal inside the model.

Of coarse if you want the ability to switch the deflector color and a photon firing effect etc you can add to that.
The TOS 1/350 kit I am going to build this fall will be a demo for the system.

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »
So now that the lighting kit is on the way, I'm starting to realize that I'm not done with all the small bits that need to be complete before buttoning it up.

Some things to do:
- Finish the administrator pods.  I've painted one, sort of experimenting with the windows on it. 
- Finish the Officer's Lounge.  I haven't started this one yet.  Not sure how I'm going to make it up.  People do all sorts of things with it.
- Build the rec deck.  The photo etch kit came with one of these.  I'll paint it up and make it look as good as I can.
- Light Blocking.  I've done the secondary hull, but haven't done any other part of the ship.  I should also get a heat gun to make drying the paint a little easier.
- I also need to figure out how to add people.  That is, if I want to add people.  The Paragraphix kit came with people, but after painting one, it looks like a cardboard cutout.  I'd like to find some more realistic people if possible. 

Once I get all of these bits done, I'll start assembling the ship.  I also need to figure out how I'm going to mount it.  I think the trekmodeler kit is designed to use the included stand, but I may want to do something else.  I'm not quite sure, but I'll figure it out. 

If you do use a pole for hiding the wires, do you drill a new hole and just not use the hole for the pole that it came with?  I didn't see a plug for the hole in the kit anywhere.  Does anyone know how this works?

MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 06:14:06 pm »
Ok, folks, I've received my trekmodeler DIY lighting kit.  It looks like it'll be a challenge, yet fun all at the same time!

Wish me luck!

Enterprise © Bloc