Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST:TMP Drydock (WIP)  (Read 14649 times)

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
Re: ST:TMP Drydock (WIP)
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 06:26:57 pm »
October Updates 2014

September has been another busy month for drydock building. I was able to spend a lot of time on the Light Panel frame fronts. I had to cut out all of the plexi-glass pieces to use as clear windows and a 3rd piece of plexi for the graphic decals. For each light panel there are 2 pieces of plexi. That makes 112 pieces for each of the panels. The plexi was then cemented in place. I then had to make all of the decals which amounted to the same number of pieces. There are what I'm calling left and right side decals for each piece. There's a slight variance between each of the decals, so I had to make sure they were all put on the appropriate sides.

I've also spent a great deal of time making the turnbuckle anchors and tension rods. One of my clients requested that this detail be physically bolted to the panels and the frames. So here's how the work load pans out for this month. There are 504 tension rods needed for each drydock. These rods connect from the light panel to the panel frames. I am using styrene rods because they are very light weight. I'm spraying all of these rods "Rust" before I cut them to size. This way there will only be a minimum of touch-up work to do. On each end of these rods will be an anchor with a loop on the end of it. (See pics of this process in the October updates page) There are 2 of these anchors on each of these rods so I need to make 1008 of these. 336 of these anchors will be for the center tiers of the light panel frames. The remaining 672 have to be made with the end loops on a slight angle because of the way the top and bottom tiers are of the panel frames are curved. As of this posting I have the 336 anchor loops finished and will be working on the rest later in the week. The hard part is keeping track of how many of these have been done. The other dock will have just the sleeve part of the anchor loop on them so it will look more like the filming miniature version. Later when I start adding the rods to the model I will be able to touch up the unpainted surfaces.

In other areas... because of how repetitive some of this work is it's nice to break off and work on something else for a while. For the last year and a half I've been contemplating on how I was going to build the work light arrays. On my 1/350 version I had no idea of how I was going to tackle this because of the complexity of these lights. In the end I wound up taking a piece of cardboard that had a mirror like surface on it. I cut it into a hexagon shape, then etched a lot of line into it and drilled holes for where the lights were supposed to be. I then back-lit this piece with 3 LEDs to make the lighting effect. Although I've hear some good suggestions of how and what to use for this array, such as a florescent light cover cut into a hexagon shape, it just did not work out for the scale I needed to build these arrays in. I have found some pictures of these light array panels and they were originally used in the unused TV series version of ST:Phase II drydock as the side panel lights. They have a very complex configuration and I wanted to at least in some way be able to come as close as I could to getting these as accurate as possible. I stumbled on the simplest of solutions. At my local Hobby Lobby I came across a section that has all kinds of beads, glitter and most importantly of all Sequins. They were in various colors and I happened to notice that the silver ones had a reflective quality as that of mirrors or reflectors that are used in lamps and/or flash lights. JACKPOT! They had 3 or 4 different sizes, so I bought a couple of small bags. I notices that even though they are punched out into round shapes, the center of each sequins had a hexagon shape to it. So I lined up 60 sequins of 2 different sizes of each kind of sequins then measured out the overall size of both of them and decided I had a close match for the work light arrays. When lined up properly with the edges of the hexagon they reflect light similar to what is seen in ST:TMP. So I built 4 of these panels 2 for each of the docks.

I cut out a hexagon shape made from sheet styrene, sprayed them FLAT BLACK, then carefully cemented one sequins at a time until all 60 were lined up and in there proper places. Next I drilled out all 60 centers of the sequins so that one LED could fit into each of the holes. It looks great so far and I can't wait to wire them up and do a lighting test.

For the last part of my update: Since I was able to add the Starboard side of the light panels to the overhead modules I wanted to see how one of the Enterprise models looked inside of the dock so I snapped a few pics and put them into this month's update. There are 24 new pics on the "October Updates 2014" page on my site!Hope you like them. More updates coming next month! See you then! Have a great month!

Mark
http://www.NemVia.com
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:38:48 pm by NemVia »
"...once it's activated. there's no way to stop it!" - Scotty - DMa
http://www.NemVia.net

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 06:02:44 pm »
November Updates 2014

Hey Everyone!

I have some glitches to deal with on my website this month.

For some reason I'm having trouble uploading photos to my site so I'm setting up the photos to be in the Forum thread until I get things up and running again.

In this month's update I've been working on the part of this  model that I've been dreading, but need to complete. The assembly of all of the tension rods with turnbuckle anchors and nuts and bolts. There are 9 pieces per tension rod and there are 2,268 pieces that need to be put together on just the Starboard side of the dock alone. Each piece has to be cemented in place and aligned to each of the panel frames and light panels. Rather than just drilling holes into the Light panels and panel frames and running the tension rods through each of the holes and cementing them in place as I did with the 1/1350 scale PLE Dock My client has requested that the bolts on each of these connection be visible to give greater depth of scale to the final model. Detailing is very important to my client so this once again will slow down the completion of the Drydock. There is one shot of this detail that was visible in ST:TMP when the Enterprise was leaving the dock and the little dude in the space suit was waving good-bye to the ship.  I now need to touch up all of the ends of these rods with Rust paint which will blend everything together. The pics show how this detail looks.

Another setback is the light panel lighting effects. After putting some reflective paper into the panels to defuse the light I discovered that this lighting effect would not work at all because you can see the EL wire behind the defusing paper. Bummer. I had to remove all of the EL wire and put in LEDs as I did with the 1/350 scale dock. So I'm now adding reflective tape to the backs of the inside of each light panel and will then have to hard-wire all of the LEDs in place. Not a very easy task at this point at least not with the Starboard side panels. Well, live and learn. We'll see how far I can get with this within the next month or so. December is a very bad month for me to work on this project so there may be very little for the January update to show. But, enjoy the pics. I will try to have them set up on photobucket for now.

That's it for now.

See you in a month.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:07:28 am by NemVia »

Offline Artie

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 04:19:44 am »
That is awesome work....I always look forward to your updates :) :) :) :)

cheers Artie

AlW

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02:57 am »
Wow, really great detail.  You must have enormous patience to undertake a project of this scope;)

Couldn't you use EL panels instead of EL wire for more uniform and edge-to-edge illumination?  Then you'd only have one pair of contacts per dry dock panel instead of multiple LEDs and diffusers.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 04:05:55 pm »
Wow, really great detail.  You must have enormous patience to undertake a project of this scope;)

Couldn't you use EL panels instead of EL wire for more uniform and edge-to-edge illumination?  Then you'd only have one pair of contacts per dry dock panel instead of multiple LEDs and diffusers.
That is awesome work....I always look forward to your updates :) :) :) :)

cheers Artie
Thanks for following the build Guys!

Okay, I was able to get the November updates loaded on my site just FYI. Sorry about the delay. Should be somewhat back to normal now! Thanks for your patience.
Mark

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 05:19:01 pm »
What a great project. The other day I was wondering how difficult a smaller scale version of the drydock for the 1/350 Refit would be to build. It would be the ultimate display piece. Beautiful work.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »
Hi Mark,

Still enjoying your build.

I have just started drawing up some plans and getting materials for my 1/350 scale drydock.
 the sequins you got for your work light panels was a great idea. I got some smaller one and set them out and they are going to be perfect.

The EL wire you used to light the light panels do you think that idea will work on the 1:350 scale?
I can't get the 30 gauge magnet wire you guys use here in Australia, I can get it sent over from the US but it is really expensive.

I may have lots of questions for you as I build mine.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 10:24:02 am »
Hi Mark,

Still enjoying your build.

I have just started drawing up some plans and getting materials for my 1/350 scale drydock.
 the sequins you got for your work light panels was a great idea. I got some smaller one and set them out and they are going to be perfect.

The EL wire you used to light the light panels do you think that idea will work on the 1:350 scale?
I can't get the 30 gauge magnet wire you guys use here in Australia, I can get it sent over from the US but it is really expensive.

I may have lots of questions for you as I build mine.

Scott.
Hi Scott!
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, sometimes the simplest things can work out Great.
As far as the EL wire goes, though: unless you can find some way to defuse the lighting, I would say that no it would not be a good idea. The EL wire is not bright enough for one thing and you can see the wire behind the graphics when it is lit  up. I was very disappointed with how that turned out because it saves a lot of time. The other way  to light the panels with EL products is you can purchase flat pieces which can be cut to fit the panels, however you'll need enough of them to fit 56 panels. This could be very expensive, but the light would be very even. I am opting to go with the LEDs because they are very in expensive and their light is at a good brightness. It will take more time to do, but it will look much nicer than the EL wire.
The wire I'm using is just telephone wire. I bought a hundred feet of it off of e-bay. You just strip off the outer casing and use the wire inside.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

BTW I won't have much done on my drydock this month due to my work schedule and the time of the year. I should a small update at the beginning of January when things start to quite down.
Take care. Good to hear from you and thanks for the post!
Mark

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 08:26:00 pm »
Hi Mark,

I have made a start to my 1:350 drydock now.
I have started with the overhead modules and one of the work light panels.

I have included some photos of my progress below.

How did you connect the overhead modules to the metal frame?

In your detailing of the overhead modules you have some half circles in groups of 3, 4 and 8. What did you use for this? It is the only thing I need for the detailing them now.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34:07 pm »
Hi Scott! Wow! This looks great! Love the update pics.
To connect the modules to the metal frame I used some very small sheet metal screws. This connected the modules to the interior frame. In turn I used some screws and bolts to anchor the modules to a support armature. These items can be found at a hardware store.
As for the half circles I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more specific as to their location. I've built a 1/350 scale dock with just random pieces and shapes added for the detailing. The 1/220 scale version I made a master panel and then made molds of the same pieces so it would take less time to build this version. There is so much detailing on both models that I forget what some of the pieces are that were used. So if you can tell me where exactly these pieces and which scale version you've seen them on, I can then tell you what I used for the detail pieces. Sorry about that . You work looks very good! Can't wait to see more!
Mark

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 06:38:15 pm »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad you like what I have done so far. I've spent hours and hours on it already.

For the half circles, I've included a couple photos from your site and circled them in red.

I found a sheet of 1mm styrene sheet on ebay here in Australia that is about 50 inches long 30 inches wide for $12. I was able to cut out the full length of the top and bottom pieces for the over head modules and I should have enough left to almost completely make the modules and detailing. With all the geometric shapes I have bought I haven't even spent $30 on it yet.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Scott.

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 07:51:32 pm »
Okay! That Helps a lot. Most of the dome shaped objects are those little eye balls you can buy to put on stuffed animals at an arts and crafts store. I bought several bags of these (I think they came in bags of 50pcs and 100pcs) I bought them in all different sizes. I do remember for those I just cut some of those eyeball pieces in half and used them for the detailing. They were going to be painted over anyways so it didn't matter if the black bead or disk was still inside the dome. I just remembered at that time that I would use anything that looked like important details for that particular build.

With the 1/260 build I got a little smarter and made molds of all the interesting looking pieces from 5 or 6 different Star Wars model kits as well as a few Tank models. I cast dozens of these pieces and used them for the detailing work. This way I also could re-use the model kit parts for their original models and would not have to kit bash any of the pieces. Just use whatever you think looks good. The more details the better.

I also remember it did take many hours to build all of this stuff from scratch. That's why I moved on to parts casting. It does save a lot of time.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more progress pics!

Mark

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 08:01:21 pm »
February Updates 2015
 HELLO EVERYONE!

My apologies for the long interval between updates! December was a killer month for me as far as work goes! On top of that my mom had some health issues to deal with and then I was able to welcome 2 new grandson's into the world! Yes, that's a total of 7 grandchildren now! WOW!

Now on to the matters at hand! As I said December was a "Didn't even look at the model" kinda month, But January was a lot more productive! I needed to get the armature ready for the Enterprise so I can marry both of the models together. I needed to do some major grinding and cutting in order to get the Armature to fit into the saucer section. The curvature of the lower hull became a bit if an issue. I needed to cut out 2 grooves on the bottom part of the armature in order for it to fit into the hull. I also needed to add some more holes into the armature in order to allow the wiring to run through to the Modules and down to the control panel that I will be adding to the model later on.

I also put together the Port side panel frame structure and ran all of the wiring through it so I can add the LEDs to it later on. After I finished this I started putting together all of the LEDs that will be used in all 56 of the light panels including the ones in the Overhead Modules. I also test fitted the Port side Panel frames to the Modules to see how they will look together with the Starboard side. So there was a lot of soldering going on during the month of January and there will be a lot more to come.

In other areas I finally got to the point where I needed the modules to be standing in their upright positions so I can get more of the model assembled so I started working on the display base. We had a couple of 40 degree days out by us so I was able to go into the garage and start working on the base. For the most part it is assembled together as you will see in the update pics for this month. The top of the base however is not permanently attached to the model as of yet until I can get all of the wiring and controls in place.

I've also started working on some additional lighting rails that run along the bottom of the lower tiers of the panel frames. This lighting is much like the ones that are on the bottom side of the Overhead Modules. There are also 4 more rails, 2 on each outside of the middle light panel tiers that will need to be made and mounted to the frames. Coming up will be some work on the mooring tractors on the bottom of the dock as well as some work that will be done on the work light panels and the work cranes. It starting to come together little by little but it's looking good and I feel good about is being accomplished! There are 23 new pics on the FEBRUARY UPDATES page for this month! Hope you enjoy! And I'll see you once again Next Month!

Take care!

Mark

Offline NemVia

• Commander
    • NemVia Productions
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 09:39:08 pm »
March Updates:
For this month's update I was able to get a lot more wiring done for additional lighting effects. I have 25 new pics in this month update page. On the outsides of the dock there are 2 rails with lights on them that run the entire length of the dock. They are more accent lighting than anything, but they are there. I've also built 2 more rails with lights on them that run along the bottom sides of the dock. These are more visible in the movie. I have also started building the Mooring Tractor Beam emitters which steady the ship while it's inside the dock. There are 4 of these that are seen in the movie and they are located on the bottom of the dock as well. There are also a few more details that need to be built before I actually mount the ship inside the dock. These include 6 outside mini panels (For what they are used for I have no idea, but you can see a great shot of them when the Enterprise leaves Drydock and the little dude is seen doing flips as the ship goes by) and I will be starting some work on the work crane and work light assemblies. These will be far different from the ones I made for the 1/350 scale dock. I will be making a master mold for these crane pieces so I can save some building time. I will also start work on the Gangway docking platform as it needs a lot of detail work on that. This piece might have to be made into casting mold as well. She's starting to come together even more and I'm hoping this will wrap up in the next 3 or 4 months if there are no more delays. Keep checking for the latest updates and I'll see you again in a month.

Mark

Offline AussieTrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 11:34:34 pm »
Hi Mark,

After watching STTMP recently I noticed the lights on the Tiers that you have now incorporated into your build, something I was thinking
about doing with mine but wasn't sure how. Seeing your new pics has given me the ideas on how to.

Also I notice in the movie the drydock has the red and green nav lights. 6 on each side, 2 per Tier. Have you thought about putting these in? I'm thinking about it on mine but they are going to be very small light so I'm not sure yet on how to get the smds I would use and the wiring on to the round tube of the tiers and make it look like it is part of them.

It's looking good and I think your tractor emitters in this one look better than the 1:350 version.

Scott.

Enterprise © Bloc