Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battle-Damaged 1/48 MPC A-Wing  (Read 889 times)

Offline Night-Forager

• Ensign
Battle-Damaged 1/48 MPC A-Wing
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:11:40 pm »
Well, here is another kit that I built about ten years ago, and one that I have been working to restore in spurts.  Since my first attempt at building this 1986 ? MPC kit, the port engine ring and the port laser cannon have been completely lost, along with all of the landing gear.  Originally, on the thought of restoring this model, I had considered doing a sort of hybrid between Ralph McQuarrie s concept and the studio model.  I decided instead to do a battle-ravaged model, with inspiration coming from the Battlestar Galactica mini-series, after Apollo s Viper gets its left wing clipped off by Cylon fire.  I am also working on lighting this model with fiber-optics for the cockpit and a flickering LED for the starboard engine.

At first, I was thinking that in its last moments, a TIE-fighter pilot managed a trick-shot, taking out the port gun.  The Force may have been strong with that pilot, but apparently not that strong.

The damage was done mainly by a wood-burning tool, with the hull halves taped together and the port engine snapped into place.  I used heated wire to drill the holes for fiber optics on the console, and to add some minor battle damage to the hull.  The surviving ring had punch marks on the inner surface so I applied some scoring there as well.  The back of one of the engine cones has been flat-sanded to allow light to show through; at the moment, it is not quite as bright as I would like it to be, but hopefully if I place the LED further away and after I coat the inside with white primer, the glow will be more even.  It will be about two weeks before I can get the solder, wire, and a second LED for this project (and I am betting I will need a small circuit-board as well).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:19:43 pm by Night-Forager »
If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts
Just repeat to yourself it's just a show
I should really just relax...

Enterprise © Bloc