Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Acquisitions  (Read 224226 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: New Acquisitions
« Reply #2055 on: December 01, 2017, 10:35:08 am »
Nice score on the Raptor Dan.....  one of the coolest craft from the new series methinks.  :b

I agree Wolf. The other redesigns didn't really connect with me, though I enjoyed the series. But the Raptor was different. I liked it almost immediately.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Decoman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2056 on: December 02, 2017, 02:42:03 pm »

Zvezda's 1:200 French frigate Acheron (more or less from the movie "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"). They probably bought the molds from some other kit manufacturer. Kit contain three rolls of thread of various color & thickness. Ratlines are made out of plastic.

What a charming kit! Certainly flawed and an old mold, but the parts are generally nice. Some flash and inaccuracies with the gun ports imo. A fun kit to improve I think, because the subject matter is so charming. If a good result is wanted with the paint work, the gun ports has to be made to aligned properly, so that the white line is flush with all the bottom gun ports for the lower cannon deck. The sails are plastic, though I plan to have the sails packed up on the masts, so i have to try find some kind of thin sail material for that.

This frigate looks similar to the frigate 'USS Constitution', though the rear end might look a little different. In the movie mentioned, a character points out that the French frigate Acheron was seen being built in the town of Boston USA (iirc).

Anyone researching this ship might look at the 'USS Constitution' and the Portuguese museum frigate named 'Dom Fernando II e Gloria'.

Interesting aftermarket stuff: 1.2 mm wide planks wooden deck (Mk1 Design, cut out yourself, enough for both upper and lower deck), brass cannons :) I suggest painting the wooden planks with 15 parts Vallejo 'dirt' mixed with 1 part 'mahogany'. Looks great when applied on each plank with a small brush. Add a second layer to darken some planks. Maybe add a think layer of closs coat and satin varnish in the end to get a slight sheen.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:22:58 am by Decoman »

Online Rusty_S85

• Ensign
« Reply #2057 on: December 04, 2017, 12:28:31 pm »
Cant add photos, they are over 200kb a piece and I have no way of downsizing them.  But in the last 30 days I added a 200mm Robert E Lee bust by Verlinden products and I added a 1/25 scale round 2 1956 Ford Victoria in retro packaging by AMT.  Going to purchase from Hendrix a '56 Club sedan body for this kit with the hopes of converting it to a 4dr Town Sedan to replicate my vehicle.  I still haven't decided if this first one I am going to weather her and build a diorama of how she before she moved for the first time in 30 years to be brought home or if I will just do it up as dealership new.

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2058 on: December 08, 2017, 11:15:29 am »
Need Christmas Day to be now!

Like many of you I am going to have to wait 'til the 25th to get my pressies.

Zvezda Star Destroyer (I get to build one for myself).

Polar Lights 1/350 USS Enterprise refit (can't wait to start this one).

The Anigrand 1/48 scale Mig-31 Firefox (something different to be sure).

I was allowed 5mins of drooling then they were whisked away to be hidden from sight until Christmas morning.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:17:27 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline madmonk

• Commander
« Reply #2059 on: December 09, 2017, 02:19:06 am »
You better be a good boy between now and Christmas Day Iain, nice presents!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2060 on: December 09, 2017, 03:00:23 am »
You better be a good boy between now and Christmas Day Iain, nice presents!

Tell me about it Warren.

Really looking forward to the Firefox - will be a real challenge getting some lighting in there. ;D
Iain

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
« Reply #2061 on: December 09, 2017, 11:08:05 am »
Oooo, I've been wanting a Firefox kit!

Offline MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2062 on: Today at 07:48:03 am »
I didn't know that MADE a Firefox kit! Outstanding find, Iain!

"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Enterprise © Bloc