Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Acquisitions  (Read 301736 times)

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: New Acquisitions
« Reply #2085 on: January 23, 2018, 01:42:10 pm »
to ImWolf
   i found one place  but it is 69 US  plus shipping.[ from China] I can assume you are American.
 not being rude but you Yanks are spoiled by  the shipping rates as long as it is the states . and the exchange rate your 69 is my 100
 you have no idea how bad we get bent over  buying outside of Canada.

but i would still like an address [ from Warren or Iain]to check out as well to see if it's cheaper

Actually Storm, I'm still a Canadian citizen even though I've been in the US for over 50 years now....

It doesn't happen consistently, but we here in the US also pay some high shipping from time to time when ordering things outside of the US. The exchange rate is another matter though....  I suggest you boys up north get yourself an installed criminal puppet government that establishes a private central bank allowed to create the world reserve currency out of thin air....  then you can buy all kinds of aircraft carriers and such to make sure you almost always get the best deal on everything!   :b

The link I found to some .5mm FO in a 6000M spool is here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-fiber-optic-light-strands.html

At $100 (to me), I think it's a fair deal, but it's not exactly what I would want for a big FO job. I would prefer multi strand end glow cable something like this instead:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/64-x-0-25mm-Multi-Strand-End-Glow-Fibre-Optic-Cable-Model-hobby-lighting/322964068514?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=512105742189&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

This is one of the cheaper FO cables I found which comes close to what I want, but 64 strands is a bit much, and I sure don't enjoy drilling those .25mm holes!!!

I think .5mm is much easier and would be acceptable on most builds, and from some build threads I've seen having the bundled strands to work with speeds things up a lot. Unfortunately, almost everyone out there is selling these multi strand cables with .75mm strands (from 2 thru 126 strands) and the prices are about $2.50/Ft.

So far, the 6000M spool of .5mm is definitely the cheapest way to go.... if you want to spend the time to cut and wrap all of your own bundles to suit each task.
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2086 on: January 25, 2018, 01:19:32 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

I added this to the stash...the 1996 Monogram 1:1400 Star Trek: Voyager 3-Piece Set (kit number 3607).  This kit includes the Voyager, Maquis ship, and Kazon Raider.

I've been patiently waiting for a good price on this particular kit for a few years, and finally one came along where nobody bid on it.  The kit is still in its original shrink wrap too.  So I was able to snag it for $23.00 U.S.D..  The best part is that upon checkout, I was offered $5.00 off the price, so it all came out to $18.00.  Bonus!

:)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:43:03 am by Gadgetron_3000 »
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2087 on: January 26, 2018, 07:10:58 am »
Got into a mood and bought this R2 release of the AMT 1:650 Connie....  I have a few of the older versions, but I liked this box art!!!  OK!!

Paid $31 for it out the door.....   Not even sure if that's the going rate, but I like that original box art!!!  OK!!

When I checked the contents, I was pleasantly surprised to see that R2 had made some needed improvements. Through the bags I could see the upper saucer is completely smooth now instead of those old raised grid lines that NO ONE could lay a decal down on without some foul language in the process. Also the nacelles are now properly tapered as they should be, and the struts are larger and more in scale by eye. The aft caps now have the partial dome contoured into place.

From memory it's a bit harder to judge what I saw of the secondary hull pieces...  but I got the impression they were a bit more slender and accurate. The upper two halves now have molded pockets for inserting the strut tabs...   and they are a nice size.....  this should help that dreaded nacelle droop issue NONE OF YOU know about....  :b

Decal sheets are a vast improvement over many previous issues. They managed to get the whole 3 Pt. assembly onto one doubled sided 8.5 x 11.

Looks alright to me....   Love that box art!!!

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #2088 on: January 28, 2018, 09:42:08 am »
Well I found this bad boy at my local anime convention this weekend. I have been wanting a 1/500 Space Battleship Yamato for a long time. I could not pass this up for $115 since it goes for $160 to $200 on ebay. I might make this my next project when I am done with my TOS Enterprise.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2089 on: February 16, 2018, 06:51:57 am »
The WarpM "1/537 Scale" Oberth Class showed up from the UK.... Looks like it will build out to about 10.5" (26cm). Opinions will vary if this scale is correct compared to the "1/537 Scale" refit at 22".

All the pieces are solid resin so not much lighting ability here without some serious ingenuity. There's plenty of the surface detail one would expect, but it's not the best quality I've seen.... from a distance it will probably look great, but for a detailed inspection someone will need to deal with some straggly ribs and other protrusions, crooked or over extended grid lines, and of course the normal nothing fits quite right out of the box resin kit theme.

Unfortunately, this kit also has a lot of extra surface defects from either a dirty mold or being banged and scratched up along the way. I would have expected better for the price tag!

On the bright side though, oft times a kit like this will appreciate in value over time....  so perhaps this will end up being an addition to my art collection? On the other hand, if I decide to take it for a spin....

With a 4-barrel carb and a dual exhaust,
With 4.11 gears
you can really get lost.
It's got safety tubes, but I ain't scared.
The brakes are good, decals fair.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:54:55 am by ImWolf »

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #2090 on: February 16, 2018, 10:23:14 am »
I've got some better decals for that. Doesn't look too bad for a garage kit.
I've seen worse.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2091 on: February 16, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »
I've got some better decals for that. Doesn't look too bad for a garage kit.
I've seen worse.

Let's see what kind of decals you have there Cameron.

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #2092 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:21 am »
Here is a low res pic.
I would need some measurements of your model to size them correctly.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2093 on: February 19, 2018, 01:47:40 pm »
I was visiting my brother and found a hobby shop in his area.  I snagged two more 1:350 NX-01 kits because the price was too good to pass up!  I have 4 now :)

I also grabbed two 1:1000 NX-01 refit kits :)

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2094 on: February 23, 2018, 09:03:57 am »
Snagged a Pegasus' Vermithrax off Amazon and saw the Kothoga, so ... two kits!

I somewhat enjoyed 'The Relic' when it first came out on cable. Been a while since I've seen it though.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2095 on: February 24, 2018, 11:48:12 pm »
Never saw that show Spencer....  Looks like Godzilla on steroids!

Those of you who also like the old WWII era warships have probably noted how much more expensive the IJN ship models are compared to their British, American, and German counterparts? I was happy when an eBay seller accepted my offer of $72 for the 1/350 Mikuma....  This baby is packed with detail   :b

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2096 on: February 27, 2018, 10:52:32 am »
Hi, Everyone!

Aoshima began re-releasing their models from the 1983 Genesis Climber MOSPEADA anime TV series since late last year, so it's been a good time to pick some up to avoid paying higher eBay prices for the previous releases.  Western audiences will know MOSPEADA as the third generation of the American series Robotech.

I was able to pick up the Aoshima 1:12 MOSPEADA VR-052F/T Variable Type Ride-Armor model (kit number 054468) exported directly from Japan.  This kit is parts-transformable, and it even comes with a few metal parts.

I was able to get it for under $30.00 U.S.D..  Good thing I ordered this one when I did as many of the popular kit exporters have now sold out of this model since its re-release in November 2017.

:)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2097 on: February 27, 2018, 09:56:41 pm »

Those of you who also like the old WWII era warships have probably noted how much more expensive the IJN ship models are compared to their British, American, and German counterparts? I was happy when an eBay seller accepted my offer of $72 for the 1/350 Mikuma....  This baby is packed with detail   :b

Not familiar with this ship. What engagements was it involved in?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2098 on: February 28, 2018, 05:28:11 am »

Not familiar with this ship. What engagements was it involved in?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Mikuma

Offline whb64

• Captain
« Reply #2099 on: February 28, 2018, 05:31:37 pm »
My name is Bill and yes I have a problem...  (Isn't that how the introductions go?  ;) )

SOOOO many choices right now...
I am picking up my 350 NX-01s off layaway this Friday.  I couldn't pass up the price even though I already have two!  Sooo...  do I put the PG Falcon on layaway?  Do I get the Round2 TOS Light kit and another 350 TOS?  Do I get the Proteus?  Saw some good BSG kit deals...  or finally get that Buck Rogers Starfighter????  Or the cool Terminator kits I saw on CultTVMan's site???  My brother likes the Green Hornet... do I get a car and build one for him???  Sooo many questions!

Then there is the resin and silicon...  already ordered some sound modules and a Cylon eye chaser... 
Hopefully I can get the Big Easy Refit full startup light kit I bought last year from someone on here, I'd hate to have to pay for it again when I already bought one... I need that money for other kits! ;) 

I probably am like a lot of others on here, I think I have more kits than I could build in the rest of my life!  But they keep making cool stuff!

And I am eying that Don Shoko 1/1000 scale 1701-D!  (Anyone know if they make the C and E in that scale???)

Enterprise © Bloc