Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Acquisitions  (Read 217069 times)

Offline Guns Akimbo

• Captain
Re: New Acquisitions
« Reply #1320 on: February 12, 2015, 05:01:48 pm »

There's always been a few anime series which featured transforming motorcycle designs that I just love.

Being a motorcyclist, I approve of this post.  ;D

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #1321 on: February 22, 2015, 02:09:07 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

I decided to dip a toe into the world of Arduino, so I picked up an Arduino Nano three-pack...

$10.95 U.S.D. with free shipping.

This should be interesting.  :)
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #1322 on: February 22, 2015, 02:48:56 pm »
That's a good deal. Gadgetron. Tempted to pick up that same 3-pack, though I still don't have a clue how to program them yet. May be time for me to study the new Arduino thread.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
  • I will finish a model, I will finish a model ...
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #1323 on: February 23, 2015, 03:26:13 am »
Learning Arduino is something I've long thought of too. The new thread is certainly a useful tool for us wanting to get into it.
Wil, the Kiwi Borg, in training.

I'm not a complete Borg, some pieces are missing.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #1324 on: February 24, 2015, 06:08:37 pm »
That's a good deal. Gadgetron. Tempted to pick up that same 3-pack, though I still don't have a clue how to program them yet. May be time for me to study the new Arduino thread.

Learning Arduino is something I've long thought of too. The new thread is certainly a useful tool for us wanting to get into it.

I'm relatively new to coding too.  But using the Arduino, I've found that a learn-by-example approach works pretty well.  There are lots of resources out there.

In a day, I was able get the following together...

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=4793.0

...and it works great!

Once you get the Arduino correctly attached to your computer, flashing code to it takes only seconds, and after that you have yourself a fully-functioning lighting effects control board.

:D

-----

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #1325 on: March 04, 2015, 02:32:05 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

I was reading a Polar Lights / Round 2 1:350 TOS Enterprise W.I.P. build article over on CultTVman (http://culttvman.com/main/on-the-bench-272-paul-m-newitt-filling-the-gridlines/) where the person there mentioned he uses Liquitex Modeling Paste for his seam filler instead of the hobby and automotive putties we usually tend to use.  It's an acrylic product with marble dust in it.  In the article, he says it has the consistency of pancake batter but dries hard as a rock in about 12 hours.

So I picked up an 8-ounce bottle from my local Hobby Lobby ($14.99 minus their usual 40% off) to try out.

Hopefully it works out.  :)

-----

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #1326 on: March 04, 2015, 04:22:17 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

I was reading a Polar Lights / Round 2 1:350 TOS Enterprise W.I.P. build article over on CultTVman (http://culttvman.com/main/on-the-bench-272-paul-m-newitt-filling-the-gridlines/) where the person there mentioned he uses Liquitex Modeling Paste for his seam filler instead of the hobby and automotive putties we usually tend to use.  It's an acrylic product with marble dust in it.  In the article, he says it has the consistency of pancake batter but dries hard as a rock in about 12 hours.

So I picked up an 8-ounce bottle from my local Hobby Lobby ($14.99 minus their usual 40% off) to try out.

Seems like I remember reading something similar, or maybe on a YT video, but don't know anything about it. Be interested to see how it works for you Gadgetron.
Dan

Offline gene1138

• Captain
« Reply #1327 on: March 04, 2015, 10:34:46 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

Hmmm I wonder if this would be basically the same stuff that Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty is that I just got.  Liquitex would be easier and slightly cheaper than ordering from across the pond.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #1328 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:18 am »
Hmmm I wonder if this would be basically the same stuff that Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty is that I just got.  Liquitex would be easier and slightly cheaper than ordering from across the pond.

The Liquitex Modeling Paste is the same type of thing as Perfect Plastic Putty.  They both can be cleaned up using water, they dry hard, they're water resistant, they don't shrink, and you can even mix in acrylic paint to color the paste before application.

For those who end up getting Perfect Plastic Putty imported to them from overseas, Liquitex Modeling Paste is more economical.  I believe you get 40-mililiters (1.35256-ounces) with the tube of Perfect Plastic Putty.  For about the same price ($15-range minus 40% off Hobby Lobby or Michael's discount), you get 237-mililiters (8-ounces) of Liquitex Modeling Paste.

It's definitely something to add to a list of modeling tools and supplies to try out.

:)

-----

Offline gene1138

• Captain
« Reply #1329 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:13 pm »
Thanks.  Good to know for when I use up my tube of Perfect Plastic Putty.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #1330 on: March 07, 2015, 07:44:56 pm »
This came in the mail today from Columbia House DVD. They were selling the complete set of TOS movies for $5.99+S/H. Not sure why, but I couldn't pass it up since I've been wanting to upgrade from my DVD versions.
Dan

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #1331 on: March 14, 2015, 09:47:35 am »
Bandai kits arrived. 2 stormtroopers, a vader, an x-wing, a tie fighter, an at-st, vader tie, and a large credit card bill. Divorce is my next purchase. Hahaha. Luckily wife understand my obsessions.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #1332 on: March 14, 2015, 11:07:54 am »
It's much easier to explain model purchases than a mistress.   Although I do wonder if overall, the mistress would have been cheaper and less destructive than the 1:350 Refit.

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #1333 on: March 14, 2015, 11:31:54 am »
Although I do wonder if overall, the mistress would have been cheaper and less destructive than the 1:350 Refit.

hmmm. A Mistress until caught, would defiantly be less suffering then the Refit

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
  • I will finish a model, I will finish a model ...
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #1334 on: March 15, 2015, 01:24:08 am »
At least when the missus kicks ya out due to said mistress you wont have anyone nagging commenting about your model purchases  ;D

Of course, all your tools were throw in the trash/set fire too/crushed by said wife and your awesome stash reduced to a pile of rubble .....  :'(
Wil, the Kiwi Borg, in training.

I'm not a complete Borg, some pieces are missing.

Enterprise © Bloc