Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Acquisitions  (Read 271081 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Re: New Acquisitions
« Reply #2100 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:42 pm »
Never saw that show Spencer....  Looks like Godzilla on steroids!

Those of you who also like the old WWII era warships have probably noted how much more expensive the IJN ship models are compared to their British, American, and German counterparts? I was happy when an eBay seller accepted my offer of $72 for the 1/350 Mikuma....  This baby is packed with detail   :b

Not familiar with this ship. What engagements was it involved in?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_cruiser_Mikuma

Thanks Wolf! I guess the four carriers the Japanese lost in that battle tend to overshadow the other losses they incurred then too.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #2101 on: March 13, 2018, 08:42:42 am »
I found a few good deals this week I think. On Sunday I found the Vulcan shuttle reissue for $8 at Half Price Books. Then on Monday, A customer sold a Revell History Makers Thor and Jupiter IRBM kit which I picked got for $10. I should have picked up another Vulcan shuttle so I could paint two versions of it. My unbuilt model collection now stands at 42. I need to get busy!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2102 on: March 28, 2018, 01:42:48 pm »
First of all my new airbrush arrived and I have been after one of these for ages.

And thinking ahead to the turn of the year when I finally get to (hopefully!) start my own 1/350 refit so started to get the bits 'n' bobs I will need so ordered Jerry's/HDA replacement bridge and accompanying PE set.

Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2103 on: March 28, 2018, 01:50:37 pm »
My unbuilt model collection now stands at 42. I need to get busy!

There's a 12 step program for people like you Mac!!!

Step one is get a sponsor to help you clean out your stash....   for which I would volunteer to assist you with   :b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #2104 on: March 28, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »
Man I was looking at my stash. Seeing 42 unbuilts from Macupar made me feel bad so I counted mine. 386 kits later I was done. Who has the most in their stash?  I know mine cannot be the biggest. I have spoken to guys at Wonderfest who have storage bins full. How many do you guys have?
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2105 on: March 30, 2018, 04:00:30 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

I found a great deal on the 2002 Hasegawa 1:72 Macross Plus YF-21 Advanced Variable Fighter model (kit number 65711).

For those who are unfamiliar with Macross Plus, it is a four episode direct-to-video series that came out in 1994.  It is the first official sequel to the original Macross anime TV series.  Macross Plus is modernly animated, has fantastic mecha designs, incredible music and soundtrack, and an engaging multi-plot story.  If you have never seen it and you come upon it, it is definitely worth checking out.

In the story, the YF-21 is an experimental mind-controlled transformable fighter.  This model kit, however, is non-transformable and is in its jet fighter mode.

I was fortunate enough to get it for $13.00 U.S.D..

Now to wait on a deal for its rival in the story, the YF-19!

:)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:45:08 am by Gadgetron_3000 »
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2106 on: March 30, 2018, 04:17:21 pm »
Man I was looking at my stash. Seeing 42 unbuilts from Macupar made me feel bad so I counted mine. 386 kits later I was done. Who has the most in their stash?  I know mine cannot be the biggest. I have spoken to guys at Wonderfest who have storage bins full. How many do you guys have?

Holy cow!  I thought I had a lot, but your 386 blows me away!

I keep my stash in a few large cardboard moving / storage boxes in my garage.  My wife would probably be more than a little "concerned" (i.e. "unhappy" or "upset") if she realized how many kits are actually in those boxes, though.

;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:29:54 pm by Gadgetron_3000 »

-----

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2107 on: March 30, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »
I like breathing, living and being "intact" so my Eleanor knows nothing of the contents of "The Stash" which has a measly 57 items.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 04:27:19 pm by TK Iain »
Iain

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2108 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:36 pm »
Stash inventory just increased by 2.....   (evil grin) making 211 kits to date....

Picked up 2 of the Axanar subjects from Starcraft. The USS Ares looks perty nice with full lighting capability included in the design. The nacelle struts are solid, however they have nice little grooved channels molded into both edges that would easily allow for magnet wire (or bigger) to be guided up into the nacelles. The surface detail and the decals look very nice to me. I wish the aft end caps for the nacelles were also molded in clear, but otherwise no complaints.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2109 on: March 30, 2018, 10:28:46 pm »
The Klingon D6 also has several clear molded parts and a brass tube running down the neck. Running wiring down these nacelle struts will require a bit of effort, but definitely not a major obstacle. Hull detailing is much closer to what you would see in the K'Tinga than the D7.

Offline Bierce Mountain

• Commander
« Reply #2110 on: March 31, 2018, 05:59:11 am »

My stash officially stands at 420. It's so bad I created a spreadsheet to help me avoid buying things I already own.

Paul
My favorite model is the one I haven't bought yet.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2111 on: March 31, 2018, 02:16:13 pm »
My stash officially stands at 420. It's so bad I created a spreadsheet to help me avoid buying things I already own.

Paul

That's a great idea Paul....   If you include the prices you paid along the way a spreadsheet will tabulate the total quickly so you can show wifey-poo how thrifty you are!  :b

I just keep a list which does not spit out any steenking totals on it!!!

Offline Macupar

• Admiral
    • Facebook
« Reply #2112 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:33 pm »

Paul

Holly cow! I would have to park my car outside my garage if I had that many unbuilt kits.

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
« Reply #2113 on: April 02, 2018, 11:17:28 pm »
Hi, Everyone!

Normally I don't build / collect figures, but I couldn't resist this one...the 2016 Max Factory 1:20 Lynn Minmay (kit number MF-04) from the classic 1984 Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? anime movie.

For those who are unfamiliar with the movie, it is a motion picture length adaption / reinterpretation of the original Macross anime TV series.  Almost all of the characters featured in the TV series appear in the film.  The love triangle story line and the various relationships are intact.  Many ships, mecha, and characters were redesigned for the film.  The film was originally considered an alternate universe retelling of the Macross story, however, it was later changed to be considered an actual popular movie within the Macross universe itself.  A movie within a television series!  Imagine that!  :)

Geek Mode On...
===============

So I have a bit of a closer nostalgic connection to this movie than many others.  In the early- to mid-1990s, consumer / prosumer "desktop video" was a thing among personal computers advanced enough to handle it.  At the time, I owned a beloved Commodore Amiga 2000 which was one of the computers at the forefront of that technological wave.  My Amiga was equipped with a third-party expansion card known as the Video Toaster which enabled my computer to become a practical broadcast-quality video editing, switching, and animation station.  In my arsenal was also a high-end laserdisc player and a near-prosumer level Super VHS deck.

Also during this time, I was heavily into Japanese anime, and that along with the tech I owned combined into a perfect storm situation where I became involved with anime "fansubbing."  That is where fans took Japanese language anime that was usually unavailable in the United States (most often in the form of laserdiscs), translated everything, subtitled the releases to English through a desktop video computer system, and then shared it all among other fans via VHS tapes.  Any one project took a lot of time to complete due to continual real-time video review and timing of hardcoded subtitles.

The Do You Remember Love? movie was one of the releases I took on to fansub when a friend of mine requested that I do it for him.  He owned the laserdisc and asked that I provide him with a Super VHS master of my finished work.  It was weeks of work which ate up most of my free time.  When everything was done, I decided to watch my fansubbed movie in its entirety from start to finish uninterrupted.  Then as the climax of the movie came up, I found myself in tears because 1) the story of love-conquers-all hit home with me and 2) the work I put in looked so good on screen and was a tremendous personal payoff.

Ah...the good ole days!

================
...Geek Mode Off

This kit sold out back in 2016 when it was originally released, and another run was recently produced so that Japanese resellers can restock.  I didn't want to miss out this time, so I imported the kit from Japan.  The model is of the character Lynn Minmay, and the pose chosen is taken from the climatic ending of the movie.  It's a beautifully detailed model, especially considering its small size (90 mm / 3.54 inches tall).  It should be a fun and (hopefully) quick build.

Here's a picture of a finished kit built up by the manufacturer...

:)

-----

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #2114 on: April 16, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
My Moebius USS Franklin finally made it into the LHS. Excellent kit. Cannot wait to put it togther.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Enterprise © Bloc