Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Acquisitions  (Read 307044 times)

Offline scottminium

• Admiral
  • There are submarines, and targets.
Re: New Acquisitions
« Reply #2145 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:17 pm »
Mmmmm k.  Kinda went off the deep end.  My adopted family (aka inlaws) gave me a generous retirement gift so I spent another $80 and picked up this beauty at the LHS.  Could have bought it on line, but I like the LHSs of the world.

Don't know when I'll build it, but I know it will be awesome!
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again."

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2146 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:47 pm »
Dude! Seriously! DUDE!

That is AWESOME!!!!!

Happy retirement gift!!
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline ClarkKent

• Commander
« Reply #2147 on: July 21, 2018, 07:39:37 pm »
I picked up the Lando version of the Falcon from the LHS. I built the other two. Looking forward to this one.
If it don't fit, you must not quit.

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2148 on: July 22, 2018, 03:37:06 am »
Seems like there is some price drop on 1:35 Meng kits on ebay now from China. :) Price dropping below my magical customs-fee-free limit, and so I had to get a Jagdpanther. I only had an older Tamiya kit in 1:48 scale which I built years ago.

This Meng kit is new mold and came out last year or something like that. Kit includes a metal barrel & 2 sheets of photo etch, incl. larger PE side skirts. Individual plastic tracks, but unsure if supposed to be glued or working.

Update: The tracks are individual (2 x 87 tracks), but they have to be glued, so no working tracks included.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:55:55 am by Decoman »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2149 on: July 24, 2018, 10:56:16 am »
Mmmmm k.  Kinda went off the deep end.  My adopted family (aka inlaws) gave me a generous retirement gift so I spent another $80 and picked up this beauty at the LHS.  Could have bought it on line, but I like the LHSs of the world.

Don't know when I'll build it, but I know it will be awesome!

Nice! Hope you have a long and fulfilling retirement.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2150 on: July 24, 2018, 10:59:24 am »
Seems like there is some price drop on 1:35 Meng kits on ebay now from China. :) Price dropping below my magical customs-fee-free limit, and so I had to get a Jagdpanther. I only had an older Tamiya kit in 1:48 scale which I built years ago. Incl. metal barrel & photo etch. Individual plastic tracks, but unsure if supposed to be glued or working.

Nice find. My 'local' LHS has a huge stock of armor kits, so I'll have to look for this one next time I'm there. I think I saw a review of this kit on a You Tube channel and the tracks are supposed to be workable...I think.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2151 on: July 25, 2018, 02:53:52 pm »
I like things that go POW!!!

No... It does not fly through space...  (those are Japanese battleships).
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2152 on: July 25, 2018, 02:59:22 pm »
Just got home and the Robot B9 Deluxe kit was on the front porch.

I never got one the first time around, so I figured I'd pull the trigger on this one.
I'll probably make my own lighting circuit when the time comes, rather than drop beaucoup bucks on
the various mods out there.

Cheers

Online MSgtUSAFRet

• Admiral
  • Fly! Fight! Win! And call me when you're back.
« Reply #2153 on: July 26, 2018, 07:20:50 am »
Nice one Spencer!

I hope you will start a thread with this one!

Nice catch!

Steve
"To be honest with you, Picard, a significant number of my crew members have expressed a desire to return even knowing the odds. Some because they can't bear to live without their loved ones, some because they don't like the idea of slipping out in the middle of a fight."

Offline Spencer

• Radio Astronomer
  • Admiral
  • "Well ... let's play this out logically then ..."
« Reply #2154 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »
Nice one Spencer!

I hope you will start a thread with this one!

Nice catch!

Steve

I still have a ways to go before I have enough skills to do it justice, but there will be a thread when the time comes ...

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2155 on: August 03, 2018, 04:43:26 am »
I finally found a way to get Bandai's X-Wing in 1:48 scale (birthday). :) Price was still a tad too high for my liking. Even more expensive with customs fee and European VAT (25%). Btw, I was looking through the instructions for the Paragraphix' photo etch set, and noticed that they do not recommend installing the cargo door on the Bandai kit, as it is said to interfere with how the the moving wings work (or, making it weaker I think it said). I'll try get this PE set some time later.

I don't care at all for the fancy ass stand, so I hope I can detach it (perhaps doing so will cripple the built in mowing wings, unsure if wings can be moved manually).

Edit: Uh, oh. I forgot to check to see if this kit has parts for the landing gear. :O
Edit2: Ah, ok, according to a video by Florymodels on youtube, landing gear is included, and the model can be placed on the ground without the stand by the looks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZXvSfIcgJI (Florymodels' review of this kit on youtube)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:48:47 am by Decoman »

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #2156 on: August 03, 2018, 05:44:44 am »
I finally found a way to get Bandai's X-Wing in 1:48 scale (birthday). :)

My B'Day is not till February Decoman.....    8)

It's been quite a few years, but as I recall the original MPC kit also had movable wings....
(nice box art)
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2157 on: August 03, 2018, 12:29:12 pm »
Also, I ordered two of these: Y-Wing in 1:144 scale. :)

Note: As with the other Bandai 1:144 kits like this, the canopy windows are solid and are to be painted black (or perhaps there's a decal included), and does not have clear parts like the 1:72 kits do. I also suspect that the 1:144 kits does not have landing gear. I did not see any landing gear included for my X-Wing in 1:144 scale. These 1:144 kits comes with a small stand.

I wanted to order the new ICM's Heinkel 111H-3 in 1:48 scale (new mold), but I shouldn't. :) It will have to wait.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:55:27 am by Decoman »

Offline madmonk

• Captain
« Reply #2158 on: August 10, 2018, 07:40:52 am »
Just got the new Defiant from PL, had to pay a ransom to Royal Mail to release it from Customs.

Very nice little kit and ripe for lighting!!

Offline Decoman

• Commander
« Reply #2159 on: August 15, 2018, 03:50:20 am »
I wanted to buy this large 100 mm YATO vice (Polish manufacture) as an investment, but it will have to wait (about $150 incl. shipping). Only downside imo with that vice, is that the main clamp (there's three on this one, basic, pipes, and larger round things) isn't perfect as the moving part has a slight slack to it according to a reviewer, probably a non issue for me, unsure.

I found this nice large paint rack on eBay for Vallejo bottles (and other brands I guess). 120 bottles. Hopefully, having the bottles lying down isn't something that will make the bottle labels hard to read. This thing looks larger than it is in reality.

Also, a 1:144 jetliner kit, and two sets of photo etch for this and some other kit I already have:
Delta Airlines 1:144 Eastern Express' Lockheed L-1011 "TriStar" (three engines). Note this 'Eastern Express' (more obscure eastern Europe brand) is fairly new mold, however this is afaik not the same modern tech like new Bandai or new Airfix kits. Imo, too pricey, but I wanted a kit for this three engine passenger jet liner. I wanted the PanAm version (different decals), but it was too expensive, unsure why. Nobody else makes these kits afaik, so I am stuck with Eastern Express, at least for the price (still too expensive imo). Supposedly, they stopped making large three engine passenger jets because of higher maintenance costs with three engines.

I found a cheap Boeing 727 kit in 1:144 scale on eBay, but on close inspection, the kit was too old and has obviously raised panel lines (shudder). So I didn't bother with that one.

Also, a pin hammer. (Note: In retrospect, the build quality seem a bit rough.)

Also, some 100 + 100 zip loc bags in two different sizes (smallish), for storing tiny parts without loosing them.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:54:09 pm by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc