Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Attention SFMA Members, We are kicking off our Heroes themed group build for the moth of July. See the details in the SFMA special events section.

Author Topic: S.S. Botany Bay 1:350 Scale DY-100 Class Resin Model by Fantastic Plastic  (Read 1821 times)

Caladonis

• Captain
Re: S.S. Botany Bay 1:350 Scale DY-100 Class Resin Model by Fantastic Plastic
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 01:00:32 am »
Added the radiator uprights by soldering a vertical 1 7/16 inch piece of music wire (from my local hobby store in the metals section) to the horizontal support. I used Alpha Fry's specialty soldering kit that has liquid flux and silver solder. I used this http://www.amazon.com/Weller-D550PK-120-volt-Professional-Soldering/dp/B00002N7S1 soldering gun to quickly heat the parts and prevent the heat having time to spread into the body of the model. It worked well and the joint seems very secure.

Image1 - Here is the solder and flux
Image2 - The finished music wire soldered connection, just needs some clean up before priming.

wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:24:54 am »
I agree with Fraley here, as it is nice to see some different techniques being used. Thanks for the update. Looking good Caladonis!

TrekkieJamie

• Commander
  • "Tough Little Ship" ..... "Little!?!"
    • TrekkieModeler Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 04:04:37 am »
Great stuff mate she is coming to geather nicely, thanks for the posts I look forward to the next batch ;-)

STshipyard

• Shipyard Modeler
  • Commander
  • Its a Cellular Peptide Cake with Mint Frosting
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »
This is a really cool build, look forward to seeing more
"The human race is a remarkable creature, one with great potential, and I hope Star Trek has helped to show us what we can be if we believe in ourselves and our abilities." -Gene Roddenberry-

Caladonis

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »
After looking around the world for a replacement for the heat exchangers it seems that the correct part is the mesh for the 1/350 TOS enterprise.

Here is the studio model grills

And this is the TOS PE parts

Next is the studio model

And this is my WIP (still a long long way from what I want)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:31:52 pm by Caladonis »

mokulele

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 08:45:02 pm »
Very interesting thread.  I was looking at this very kit to go with my TOS E.  Looking amazing so far...and good find with those PE screens!

TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:41:44 pm »
Shaping up nicely there. Should be fun to do all of the weathering on it. Your right, those PE parts look close enough to me to look just right.
Looks like the original model is in need of some work. Is it in a private collection or on display somewhere?
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Caladonis

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 01:29:08 pm »
Hated my paint job, back to primer.... :'(

fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 06:50:17 pm »
I was thinking it looked pretty sweet.  I'm not too familiar with the BB.  Was it lost in space, hence the heavy weathering? 
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Caladonis

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 09:19:06 pm »
Here is the description from the series and the Space Seed episode (first appearance of Kahn). I also have a few sound clips attached that I plan to include with the model that describes the nearly 300 year old ship.

Ship description clips for the show are below
http://snd.sc/Z1dzvv
http://snd.sc/Z1dKH0

"Space Seed" is a first-season episode of the original science fiction television series Star Trek, that was first broadcast on February 16, 1967.

On stardate 3141.9, the Federation starship Enterprise, under the command of Captain James T. Kirk, finds a derelict ship floating in space. The ship is a DY-100 class freighter that was modified as a sleeper ship for passengers in suspended animation. Its hull identifies it as the SS Botany Bay, although there is no historical record of such a ship. It was launched from Earth in the 1990s, in an era known as the Eugenics Wars.
Scanning for signs of life, Chief Medical Officer Dr. McCoy confirms that there is something still alive on board, but is not quite sure if it is human. A landing-party consisting of Captain Kirk, Dr. McCoy, Chief Engineer Scott, and historian Lt. Marla McGivers, is formed and beamed over to the freighter. Kirk has selected McGivers because she specializes in late 20th-century history and culture.
The landing party finds the cargo of 84 humans, 72 of whom are still alive, still in suspended-animation after nearly 300 years.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:24:32 pm by Caladonis »

fumblethumbs

• Admiral
Thank You for the information Caladonis!  Very interesting stuff.  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Enterprise © Bloc