Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A hello to all at Scifi Model Action from bonny old Scotland!!!  (Read 2890 times)

Offline irnman

• Lieutenant
  • That'll be the day!
A hello to all at Scifi Model Action from bonny old Scotland!!!
« on: January 03, 2014, 03:59:01 am »
Hi to all,

just joined this forum - have been watching Boyd's builds on the Star Trek Models - particularly the R2 Enterprise D and PL Enterprise Refit models with great interest.  Pretty new to the modelling community (used to build some stuff in my early teens - nothing to accurate looking), but starting to take it up more seriously now.  Currently waiting on both of the above being shipped from the states - already have a professionally built and lit Enterprise D that has recently had an unfortunate battle with a cat, resulting in a disastrous saucer separation.  Hopefully going to use Boyd's Youtube video for a basis of replacing this using the new R2 clear kit.

Anyway, any hints/tips for doing this kit - greatly appreciated (especially in relation to those pesky windows - but the scrapping method certainly looks better than the drilling).

Glad to be here, hopefully will have something to contribute in the near furture.

Chris
Make sure history never forgets, the name.....Enterprise!

Quarky

Re: A hello to all at Scifi Model Action from bonny old Scotland!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:54 am »
Welcome to the boards from a fellow Scot!

You've come to the right place for hints and tips - the guys here are really good at helping whenever they can.

Look forward to seeing your D and refit builds!

:)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:51 am »
Welcome to the boards from another Scot! :)
Iain

Offline Artie

• Admiral
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:51:19 am by Artie »

Offline irnman

• Lieutenant
  • That'll be the day!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:01 am »
Hi there,

thanks to all for the warm welcome.  Many thanks Artie for all the links - I will go through these and see what hints/tips I can pull out.  Unfortunately just received a letter from Parcel Force, saying UK Customs have got hold of my big PL Refit Enterprise and charging me import tax etc on it....bummer!  Oh well, at least its made it here, just need to wait till after the weekend till it gets here.  Still waiting on the D arriving.

TK Iain - a hello to a fellow GCC employee -just getting into the modelling business seriously now - having done a few really amateur ones in my teens, 15 years later, I am trying to take this up again - first build for a BSG Viper Mk2 - which turned out not to bad for a first build.

Thanks again to all.

Quarky

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:20 am »
Unfortunately just received a letter from Parcel Force, saying UK Customs have got hold of my big PL Refit Enterprise and charging me import tax etc on it....bummer!

I feel your pain! It appears to be totally random whether packages are picked up for import tax... I've had valuables not marked as gifts come through fine., others not... Fingers crossed for your D... And my clear D mods I've ordered from DLM...

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:48:37 am »
TK Iain - a hello to a fellow GCC employee -just getting into the modelling business seriously now - having done a few really amateur ones in my teens, 15 years later, I am trying to take this up again - first build for a BSG Viper Mk2 - which turned out not to bad for a first build.Thanks again to all.

Small world indeed. We may have met at some "wonderful" training session at Brook St at some point. I work in Social Work, Criminal Justice at Maryhill but live in Bonhill down Dumbarton/Alexandria way.
Iain

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 02:37:10 pm »
Welcome Chris,

I am a Scot who invaded England 30 years ago, like Wallace I got as far as Derby lol. Don't forget to visit and sign up to the Google+ page

Cheers
Bill

Offline Red Shirt Guy

• Commander
  • Phasers, you've got'em. I have one bank recharged!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
Welcome Chris, you've come to the right place. My name is Scott, have a wee bit of Scottish blood in me and I've been to your lovely country!

Cheers!
Scott, aka. Red Shirt Guy

"I've giv'n her all she's got captain, an' I canna give her no more!"

dlots1701a

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 09:41:59 am »
well hello and welcome to the SFMA from one Chris to another also got some scottish in my ancestery

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »
Welcome to the board!!

Come in and have fun!!!

Offline irnman

• Lieutenant
  • That'll be the day!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:33 pm »
TK Iain - a hello to a fellow GCC employee -just getting into the modelling business seriously now - having done a few really amateur ones in my teens, 15 years later, I am trying to take this up again - first build for a BSG Viper Mk2 - which turned out not to bad for a first build.Thanks again to all.

Small world indeed. We may have met at some "wonderful" training session at Brook St at some point. I work in Social Work, Criminal Justice at Maryhill but live in Bonhill down Dumbarton/Alexandria way.

Oh yes, the wonderful Brook St training - was down there just before we broke for up Christmas for some CF6 training....riviting stuff lol!  I have some colleagues in who are linked to CJ - I work in Homelessness Commissioning, and we are co-located with CF/CJ Commissioning.

Used to live in West End of Glasgow until a few years ago, but wife and kids and brought me out to East Kilbride more recently.

Offline irnman

• Lieutenant
  • That'll be the day!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »
Thanks to all again for the warm welcome, and hope to be posting some build pics soon.

Chris

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
    • Cameron's Decals and Such
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 03:26:25 pm »
Welcome Aboard. Have fun, build everything.
I had some Scottish Whiskey the other day
does that count? LOL
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

www.cameronsdecals.com

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 08:35:45 am »
Hi Chris!  Welcome to SFMA!!
 :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Enterprise © Bloc