Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polytranspar Water-Based Iridescent Airbrush Paint  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
Polytranspar Water-Based Iridescent Airbrush Paint
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »
Hi, Everyone.

For the Enterprise refit model 'tertiary' colored panels, many modelers (including Boyd) have gone with Polytranspar airbrush paint that's available from some taxidermy stores.

Boyd has referenced the lacquer-based iridescent Polytranspar paints specifically, but they do have the needed colors in water-based form as well.  This would probably work out better for those of us who use acrylic paint.

Here is purchase information for the 4 ounce sizes from McKenzie Taxidermy Supply.  They offer 1 ounce bottles too, but shipping for that size seems to be limited to South Carolina only.

Polytranspar Shimmering Blue:

WA440-4OZ
http://www.mckenziesp.com/WA440-4OZ-P18746C3465.aspx
4 ounces - $8.45 U.S.D.

Polytranspar Shimmering Green:

WA441-4OZ
http://www.mckenziesp.com/WA441-4OZ-P18747C3465.aspx
4 ounces - $8.45 U.S.D.

Polytranspar Shimmering Gold:

WA442-4OZ
http://www.mckenziesp.com/WA442-4OZ-P18748C3465.aspx
4 ounces - $8.45 U.S.D.

Polytranspar Shimmering Red:

WA443-4OZ
http://www.mckenziesp.com/WA443-4OZ-P18749C3465.aspx
4 ounces - $8.45 U.S.D.

"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline luminous

• Admiral
Re: Polytranspar Water-Based Iridescent Airbrush Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:59 am »
I used these water based versions on my JJprise.  They do work but you have to put them on pretty thick to get the same effect as the lacquer based. I had to do a lot of careful sanding / touching up to get the panels flat and tidy, was a lot of work . Also the blue Didn't want to mix very well and even seperated in the airbrush cup really fast....
The lacquer based version will safely spray on top of your acrylic base coats.
Don't like to be negative but that was my experience...
Cheers
Ollie

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:47:26 am »
I used these water based versions on my JJprise.  They do work but you have to put them on pretty thick to get the same effect as the lacquer based. I had to do a lot of careful sanding / touching up to get the panels flat and tidy, was a lot of work . Also the blue Didn't want to mix very well and even seperated in the airbrush cup really fast....
The lacquer based version will safely spray on top of your acrylic base coats.
Don't like to be negative but that was my experience...
Cheers
Ollie

That's mildly disappointing. I have to airbrush indoors and I really don't want to airbrush lacquer. I may buy a bottle and give the water based a try before splurging.
-Dave

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:51:06 am »
I have not painted the 350 yet but I have used Liquitex's irredescent  additive on other jobs.  You can mix in as much or as little as you want.  The only question I would have is on scale.  I have plenty of it left maybe I'll mix some up and shoot a test. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:56:26 am by big game nerd »

Offline Bullitt

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:14:16 am »
What size of Nozzle/Needle is best for the Water Based paints. I have two IWATAs with 0,2mm and 0,3mm nozzles but have some problems with the paint.

Is a 0,5mm the solution?

Offline nkaltso

• Admiral
  • Nothing is certain but death, taxes, and overspray
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 06:51:05 pm »
Thanks for the links,  I just purchased the paint today to give it a go.

The createx pearl coat did not work out for me.

Nick

Offline Decoman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:03:51 am »
I haven't used these types of paint, but reading the comments here, I thought I'd share my opinion about something.

So, one trick with airbrushing on Vallejo metal paints, is to fill your cup with thinner, and then add drops of acrylic metal paint (heavily diluted), and then airbrushing the metal paint on very thinly, making sure each pass dries (so you don't just pile up the paint), to better get to retain the shininess of the underlying glossy and reflective black primer.

Now, I get the impression that some people with their Enterprise refit kits, have sprayed on the iridescent colors too thick. It seems to me looking at the photos that their sprayed on paint significatnly pooled up against the masking tape. I think that not only will you idally be required to sand down the edges after this, but perhaps more importantly, that there can perhaps be too much metallic paint.

The way I imagine the iridescent paint would work the best, is if the amount applied was not covering 100%. Having said that, I do not have first hand experience of working with this paint, but this is what seems reasonable to me watching several work-in-progress videos/blogs.

So, when I get around to try out the acrylic iridescent paint from Polytranspar, I will do some testing and I will make sure I get to try spraying on that stuff diluted. Ofc, in order to avoid a random result, and to avoid relying on eyeballing the end result, I think it would be wise to try work methodically, so that you can apply a certain amount of passes, but never randomly, because that stuff might be hard to effectively eyeball I am thinking.

I guess it's possible that the way the studio model was originally painted, that the paint simply goes on for a full coverage over the white or maybe white/gray base color, but I am not convinced that such is the best way. Ofc, until testing all of this myself, I guess I will wait and see how to best get an interesting surface effect using this range of acrylic iridescent colors from Polytranspar.

I will personally try using Vallejo range of products, because that is what I am used to, and if only for being an experiement, I'll try see if the vallejo thinner AND the 'flow enhancer' (acts as a retarder supposedly) can mix with the Polytranspar (which might not work, possibly turning the paint mix into goo in my airbrush paint cup).

I will be able to try using an 0.35 and a 0.5 airbrush (one Iwata Eclipse HP CS and another one modified for 0.5) when I get around to work with this. They have a large self centering nozzle, but I don't like that they don't have a paint limiter.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:11:44 am by Decoman »

Enterprise © Bloc