Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "A Night Out On the Galaxy." - Pegasus Alpha Centauri U.F.O.'s (Diorama)  (Read 8170 times)

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
Re: "A Night Out On the Galaxy." - Pegasus Alpha Centauri U.F.O.'s
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:14:54 am »
Good luck man! I can't wait to see some progess!!
"Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?"

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:08 am »
Yep, lots of neat scenes can be played out with this. 

Offline Joe Boss Red Seven

• Commander
  • "There Is No Such Thing As Luck!"
    • BLACK SIX RED SEVEN
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »
I had rather have cool Star Brothers on here that take time to be a broken record or a parakeet than have nobody saying anything like on most other communities online.
 8)

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 08:56:31 am »
I had rather have cool Star Brothers on here that take time to be a broken record or a parakeet than have nobody saying anything like on most other communities online.
 8)

Agreed!
"Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?"

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 11:16:07 pm »
Good luck man! I can't wait to see some progess!!

Thank you!  I am a slow builder, but hopefully I will some more to show soon.   :)

Yep, lots of neat scenes can be played out with this.

It sounds like some things I planned on doing have been done before; but, I am hoping that I can at the least bring some small differences that justify sharing the build! 
That model really tied the room together.

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 11:46:54 pm »
A Night Out on the Galaxy...
Update #01 "A Kit Review"

Hello true believers, and welcome to my first update on the SFMA 2014 Spring Build entry titled "A Night out on the Galaxy."  I thought I would kick things off in this build thread with a look into the stars of the show, our little alien friends and their ships, that are found in the Alpha Centauri U.F.O.'s kit produced by Pegasus hobbies (kit #9102).  At the time of this entry, this kit is still available and is listed at $19.99 USD.  Clicking the link below should get you to Pegasus hobbies page for the model:

The model itself is part of Pegasus hobbies; "The Rockets and UFO's Collection."  The kit is described as being 1/32 scale; and information on the box indicates that there are 17 parts that make up the short range saucers, with enough parts included to make two ships in the kit.  The parts of the model are molded in:  Grey; clear, and tan.  The grey ship parts (2 trees, along with both ship fuselages detached and cast in two pieces) are bagged together and the clear ship parts (4 trees) are bagged together.  Our tan colored alien buddies are also in their own separate bag.

The grey and clear parts are made of a hard plastic, while the two aliens are cast in a softer material.  These molds appear fairly clean, with little to no flash on either the parts or the trees that they are attached too.  There are some seams detectable on the alien figures, and there are injector pin marks on many of the pieces (although none of them appear to be very deep, they will still need to be addressed during assembly).  Over all, this is a very clean model kit that should build up nicely!

While this model kit screams to be lighted, it should be noted that the model maker will be working with very limited room.  In the images above, you will note the ruler in the shots to help give some idea of the size of the parts (also included were a 25 cent piece (US) and a two pence piece (UK) on the ruler).  The outer diameter of the assembled saucer body is roughly 3 5/8" (9 cm), give or take.  The builder can take an extra 1/8" off of those dimensions to give an idea of the inner dimensions to work with; and one must also keep in mind that they body design tappers from the center of the saucer (approx. 11/16" max height) down to nothing at the edge.  Also, the center portion of the saucer is taken up by the cockpit and pilot of the craft, so it is easy to see how limited the space will be to begin with!  While all of you, my fellow forum members, will find such challenges trivial; I can assure you that this will present challenges to me as an inexperienced model maker.

The limited space for lighting aside, this kit appears at first glance to be a great choice for a new and/or inexperienced model builder.  The seam created by the fitting of the saucer halves together is located on the bottom of the fuselage (allowing for a more forgiving location for seam work).  It should also be noted that the seams created during cockpit construction will also be more forgiving than some kits due to the lack of space that will be filled by the pilot.  Injection pin marks are not visible on the outside fuselage of the ship, and the clear parts appear free of blemishes.  Another advantage for the kit is the subject itself.  Unlike many science fiction model kits, this build is not based off of a detailed cannon of a movie or television series, so the builder's imagination can take center stage in regards to detailing and paint work.  As a noob, I highly recommend this model kit!  Included below is a video review from my You Tube channel.

I thank you for taking the time to stop in on this thread and for taking a look around.  I hope to present update #2 in the near future.  In the meantime, I wish you fun and success, not only in model making, but in all of life!  And remember... the model dude abides!   8)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:55 pm »
I know it's late in coming, but good luck! Looking forward to seeing a kit with such potential for character come together!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:58 am »
I know it's late in coming, but good luck! Looking forward to seeing a kit with such potential for character come together!

Thank you!  There is a lot of potential here, I just hope that I am able to actually tap into some of it.   ;D

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:24 pm »
Looks like neat kit. I will be watching Dude!!!

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 02:08:28 pm »
I agree looks like a fun kit. Plus you could always add wingmen later to build an armada.  ;D
-Dave

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
Really cool kit. 
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
That's a really neet kit! Thanks for posting the video review...I think that's the most in depth, almost industrial style filmed kit review EVER! I was half expecting an entire section on safety, or sexual harassment by aliens.

Open up the poopdeck and prepare for boardin'!

;D

Looking forward to your build, it's  a cool kit! I'm beginning to develop some interest in these "classic" style models, Boyd's Lost in Space,  Fumbles VTBS, etc. Something about them is just plain cool.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:47:07 pm by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 10:01:41 am »
Looks like neat kit. I will be watching Dude!!!

Thank you sir!  I think so too, and I am hoping it builds up into something cool; perhaps even something that isn't a blob of glue!   ;D

I agree looks like a fun kit. Plus you could always add wingmen later to build an armada.  ;D

Hehe, I bet you could build a fleet up pretty fast with these guys; I have seen this kit as low as $15 online recently.

Really cool kit.

Thanks Pirate, I think so too!   :)

That's a really neet kit! Thanks for posting the video review...I think that's the most in depth, almost industrial style filmed kit review EVER! I was half expecting an entire section on safety, or sexual harassment by aliens.

Open up the poopdeck and prepare for boardin'!

;D

Looking forward to your build, it's  a cool kit! I'm beginning to develop some interest in these "classic" style models, Boyd's Lost in Space,  Fumbles VTBS, etc. Something about them is just plain cool.

ROFL yeah, it did turn out a bit industrial didn't it?  I thought about mentioning the alien sexual harassment (all that probing and stuff) but figured I would leave that for a future update!   :P

I do agree, there are some really cool looking "retro" kits out now days; I think that was part of the reason I started back into the hobby to be honest.   :)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
Yeah, really informative review Dude.  I'll be picking up this kit for sure!
Maybe two!  Thanks for the thorough look see.   :)

Jeff.
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
Cool model and I'm really looking forward to seeing your ideas for this one come to life.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Enterprise © Bloc