Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Millenium Falcon 1/72 scale by Fine Molds (Modified)  (Read 21412 times)

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
Re: Millenium Falcon 1/72 scale by Fine Molds
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 05:42:05 pm »
Whoa this is one of the 'holy grail' kits I've only read about. Good luck, you're gunna (probably not) need it.  ;D
-Dave

Offline Cook1965

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »
Looking forward to seeing "The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" in all her glory!

Offline Joe Boss Red Seven

• Commander
  • "There Is No Such Thing As Luck!"
    • BLACK SIX RED SEVEN
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 06:14:54 pm »
The A-Team always wins...on the show.
 ;D

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 09:08:55 pm »
Look forward to seeing this go together.

Offline r0bert

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 12:59:37 am »
Lol...you guys crack me up...I hope I provide a good show. Well Kenny, doc refers to my profession. I'm an MD.
and Armando also has a PhD in Alclad!!!

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 02:33:12 am »
Lol Robert...Dr. Alclad...I like that
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 02:41:52 am »
Wow! I am with everyone else here, I'm looking forward to seeing this go together! Total dream kit! GL!
Boldly going...

Offline Sergio

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »
Wow. You have all my attention, Dr.Alclad. Best of luck with this beauty!

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 12:44:01 am »
It has begun! Ok, guys, first pics. I spent the last couple of days alternating between continuing decal placement on my Enterprise D and dry fitting parts on my Falcon, as well as giving some thought as to the order of assembly I would follow. I tend to favor primering and painting the large parts first, so with that in mind, I went ahead and washed the two saucer halves with dish washing detergent, then let them dry, and then began with the light blocking inside. Now, this kit's plastic is thick, so I dont believe I'll need very heavy light blocking. First, a coat of the black primer.

Then a coat of the white primer for light reflection within.

Then I mulled over the choice of base hull color. I pored over several different reference photos, especially the ones provided with the kit which are wonderful, as well as read some forum posts in assorted blogs, and decided that, to my eye, the base color is a sort of khaki/tan/light grey combination. With this in mind, I went ahead and mixed up my witches brew using the Spies Hecker paints.

I started with white as my base, filling the little cup up to the little cardboard edge at the bottom, then I added a total of 4 drops of black and 4 drops of yellow. The resulting color is a very close match.

My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 12:44:23 am »
So went ahead and primered with gray Transtar primer first

Then I loaded up my paintgun with my witches brew and fired away. Here is the result.

The color is very close to the pics on the box art. Now mind you, these photos were taken under my fluorescent bench light. Afterwards, I turned on another overhead which is a standard yellow bulb and the color was even closer, so I think I achieved a very close match.
Next, I turned my attention to the cockpit, which is the first section in the instructions to be assembled. They start out by painting the seats, so I did that. Then they assemble the cockpit. Since I got the photoetch parts, most of the cockpit will be composed of those, and as you can see I am in the process of assembling them now. More to come, and enjoy!

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 08:32:09 am »
Great start Armando!
"Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?"

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 12:19:49 pm »
Lol...you guys crack me up...I hope I provide a good show. Well Kenny, doc refers to my profession. I'm an MD.

Well Hell, no wonder you can afford those massive kits!

Hey Doc, I have been having pain in my right rib cage, is it a broken toe?  =)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »
OMG...That photo etch  :o  AWESOME!!

Nice start Armando!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 01:19:37 am »
WooHoo! Go armando! looking onward to a masterpiece!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 02:07:36 am »
Thanks guys! More work on the cockpit. I finished assembly of the photoetch set and applied the decals. Here is the cockpit with the seats in place.

And backlit to illustrate the decals. Though they dont show up very well in this pic, they do have multicolored dots to represent the different lights, so when I back light it, it will look like a lit panel.

Next I turned my attention to Chewy and went ahead and painted him. My thanks to Boyd for his suggestion that I add lighter colored highlights to his coat to emphasize the texture more. I think it worked well. Also colored the shoulder holster with aluminum.

And here he is sitting at his post in the cockpit.

The kit provides two Leaias (a sitting Empire Strikes Back version for the cockpit or a standing New Hope version), two sitting Solos ( New Hope or Empire), one Chewy, one Luke sitting and one Obi Wan sitting, as well as a couple of Storm Troopers standing. I need to check if there is also a standing Luke. Also, there is a sitting C3PO. I believe I will do the New Hope arrangement with Han, Chewy, Luke and Obi Wan reenacting the famous scene ("That's no moon...it's a space station..."). Not sure what to do with the other figures, but I'll "figure" something out...anyways, more to come.

Enterprise © Bloc