Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/100 MG Sazabi ver Ka (Box Stock)  (Read 8748 times)

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
Re: 1/100 MG Sazabi ver Ka
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 02:11:04 pm »
This is making me remember my day so watching Macross/Gundam/Evangelion I love giant mechas. This is looking amazing so far.
-Dave

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
Re: 1/100 MG Sazabi ver Ka (Box Stock)
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »
Great subject.  Loved Char's Counter Attack.  That Kit's a beast.  The box alone is huge. 
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »
WIP #3 Mar 5 2014

Ok so as I was saying when it comes to the outer armour things slow WAY down.... it took only 2 days to paint the whole inner frame, but in the next 3 days, only managed to paint some of the parts needed for the outer leg armour.... may look like I got a lot don but trust me its only a handful of parts.

And here is a mistake..... yes ...even I make them...HA HA I was pushing the pice above it in, and wondering why the hell would it not go all the way in; then found out it was binding on the piece below, and chipped the paint.....

I may leave it.... but probably not... just have to find a way to fix it in place and not destroy the decal
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:22:34 pm by DanielCline »

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
  • I will finish a model, I will finish a model ...
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 11:24:56 pm »
Bugga
Jam a piece of paper into the gap to act as a shield, carefully sand the area down, mask over the decal and respray. Might work out.

Other than that, those legs are looking SEXY!!
Wil, the Kiwi Borg, in training.

I'm not a complete Borg, some pieces are missing.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 01:21:50 am »
Wow. How do you get such a uniform, metal look to the paint so quickly? It doesn't look you can sand those parts much as they all have allot of texture/complex assembly. Is it mostly clear coat as the parts are molded colors? Or is there some technique for this kind of plastic?

I have needed to paint multiple layers, including primer, which results in some thickening of the parts...yours look like they are almost 1:1 in scale!

*mind blown*
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:24:24 am by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 02:48:03 am »
@ lufty... Different parts take different preparation depending on.... Where its located (inner frames vrs Outer armour) the kind of paint your using, (colour vrs Metalic) and also you desired result.

The inner frames are just paint... thats it, no sanding no filler, no primer... paint over bare plastic... the metallic looks is a property of the paint. The upper thigh for example its an acrylic with graphite suspended in it... when you spray it it looks flat black, but when you rub it, the graphite smears and gives you the metallic look. compare your pencil led to the photo of the Thigh (See  ;D ) its a similar story to for the gold and the Aluminium... The thrusters are a bit different as they are Alclad, burnt metal, they don't need to be buffed just need even coats.

After that they are clear coated only as protection during assembly and handling.

The outer armour is a different story, these kits are designed and intended to be put together as is, out of the box, no paint required to have a great looking piece... because of this the Finnish on the plastic parts is VERY smooth... it's actually way too smooth for paint to stick to properly... even a primer will peal off, so all the outer armour pieces are sanded with 600 grit to give the paint something to bite.

I use Tamiya Primers, either grey or white depending of what effect I want. White if I really need the colours to POP and grey for everything else. there were primes in grey because i wanted to knock the red back a little. When I prime the parts I shoot for covered "mostly" I don't need them all white or all grey, and I prefer if I can see a tint of the original colour, that way I know I don't have too much paint on them.

after that its deciding if I am doing a pre-shading or not. if I do a pre-shading I use german Grey for dark colours and light grey for lighter colours...NEVER BLACK ...its way to harsh.... if your trying to shade a really dark colour just do post shading it will turn out better.

here is an example of a kit I did with pre-shading about 3 years ago for a competition :( I didn't win ) ha ha

as you can see this time I am not going for a pre shading effect, the reason will become apparent in my next WIP... and if you look closely at the toe of the kit I'm building now, you will see its not the same red as the other pieces. but the clean smooth look is what I am going for this time.

oh... I should mention I only!!! shoot flat paint for the armour... it is SOOOOO much easier to work with and goes on much smoother in my experience, then after I spray once with gloss coat for semi gloss look or do 2 or more coats if I need it to shine.

as far as paint thickness... thats why we  assemble these parts first then take them apart, to identify where there could be rubbing issued during assembly... sometimes its an issue but not often, but generally if your using quality paints and watching your methods the thickness isn't an issue.... that photo of the chip is 1 layer of clear, 2 layers of colour, 1 layer of primer, its 4 coats of paint
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:51:51 am by DanielCline »

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 04:20:12 am »
Thats the info I was after too, thanks dude. Been wanting to paint my first Gundam for ages but didn't want to ruin it. Now I have a base to go on.

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 04:54:23 am »
Looking great, are you going to weather and damage it or have fresh out of the factory?

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 06:12:17 am »
Wow thanks for the info! It's an amazing look, that's fore sure! Thanks for the tips on pre-shading, I have been thinking this might be a good technique as I haven't had great luck with the pastel methods, and that might be a good way to go.

Perhaps waiting to invest some $$$ in a pro paint rig and booth might be a good option for me before trying to start painting...I don't think my current setup could reproduce the control for that fine detail.

Food for thought.
Boldly going...

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:35 am »
WIP #4 Mar 6 2014

Did a lot of painting and decals today.... man decals make me tired !!! but here they are almost done legs... I totally forgot about the bellbottom flair for the inside of the leg, still on the runners.....oops.... and the knee cap is going to be black... with only 8 pieces being black ill get to them eventually and do them all at once.

The "red" is Tamiya Flat red

the "orange red" on the toe is a custom colour as is the "dark red"

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:27:19 pm by DanielCline »

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:26 am »
Wow, Daniel!  Just amazing work.  I love the subject and your paint work is amazing.  Just outstanding.
Jerry
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 01:54:35 pm »
Errrrrrrr..... painting nerd rage!!!!!!

Mixed up the custom dark red but ran out with two parts left to paint....RAGE!!!

ha ha ha

@ big game nerd: No weathering on this one I'm afraid, going to be factory new.

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »
I have to agree with Jerry amazing painting skill

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 12:49:18 am »
WIP #5 10 Mar 2014

Have some more photos, now mind you none of these parts are 100% done... there all missing parts yet to be painted...

shoulders:

arms(duh):

torso:

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2014, 02:31:38 am »
Its looking good, and MEAN!!  ;D
When you paint the hands, do yo paint each finger or the hand as a whole?

Enterprise © Bloc