Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus (Modified)  (Read 11445 times)

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
  • A NOOB in search of knowledge. :)
Re: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus (Modified)
« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2014, 03:23:53 pm »
Update:  Photoetch (Or:  Whoa, this is cool!!)

Today, I've entered into the world of fine-detail work with photoetched parts.  Not nearly as delicate as I'd assumed, they do need a gentle hand, though.  For this particular kit, I'd recommend having a bending tool handy, as it will greatly simplify the bending of the landing-bay inserts, as we'll see below.

First...  The parts, before being cut and used.  (Much thanks to ParaGrafix, for making these wonderful parts!)

From this point on, I need to keep the port and starboard landing-bay pieces separated, so as to not get them mixed up.  I've used plastic bins for this.  (I know, YAWN!)

To start my journey into Photoetch, I decided to attack the registry plates, first.

Unpainted...

Now, with the base-coat color of flat aluminum...

I decided to try an experiment, here.  After the base-coat was applied, I used Tamiya's 'Smoke' (A kind of clear gray) to add a little accent to the lettering on the registry plates.  I really like the result.

And, now, the grand lady has her name...

So, now we get into the flight-bay inserts.  Quite simply put, PG didn't supply much in the way of directions for these, not that it mattered much.  By bending the parts and dry-fitting them into place, one can easily discern which side each goeson.  Here, we see the starboard-side insters, wth the top one (Lower) painted in Tamiya's NATO Black, and the bottom one (Upper) unpainted.

And, now, all four inserts painted and waitng to dry.  There are doors to paint and add to them, corresponding to the 'garage' doorways that we see on the edges.  These doors will be painted a lighter shade of gray to give the interior a bit of definition.

And, that about does it.  I've come to the end of the things I can do with Pegasus, until my packages arrive.  This coming week will be the true MAD DASH to the finish.  ;)

More to come...
Mal:  "Define Interesting."
Wash:  "Oh, God, Oh, God, we're all going to die?"

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2014, 05:37:01 pm »
Good work Rob...Very creative on the smoke gray accent...I like it
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2014, 04:14:42 pm »
Looking good Rob, coming right along! I like the color you choose too! Keep her going!

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »
Update:  Miscellaneous sub-assemblies.  (Or:  The stuff finally got here!!  WOO HOO!!)

So, today marks the final delivery of 'things' I needed to finish Pegasus.  You know...  those 'things' that we all find we need at some time or other...

In addition to the two sanding belts I'd received today, I'd also gotten a bunch of LED-strip connectors from HDAModelWorx, and they'll fit just fine into the flight bays.

First, the lower plate for the upper bow, complete with the gun turrets in stowed position.

Now, the FTL-drive enclosure, which will be at the absolute stern of the ship.

Now, remember way back when, when I drilled holes in the upper halves of the engine enclosures?  I finally dabbed a touch of Canopy Glue into those holes, with a nice, decent result.

More to come.  I'm fairly certain that I'll have her done by the end deadline.  YAY!!!

Offline r0bert

• Captain
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11:34 pm »
It's gonna be good!!!

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2014, 12:34:30 am »
Update:  Unable to finish in time.

Unfortunately, I was not able to finish Pegasus in time for the competition judging.  Simply put, I have too much work to do, and not enough time to complete it.  Also, I have a few rookie errors to fix, so there's more time added there.

Ultimately, I have no regrets about entering this competition.  I gave it my best shot, and I still plan to complete this mighty Battlestar.  I'm sincerely grateful to all those who gave positive feedback, and I give you my word that the model will not go by the wayside.  I have too much time and effort invested into her to not complete her.

More to come, as I upload more pics.

Again, thanks to all that have been so supportive.

RE202

Offline Tankton

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2014, 12:39:55 am »
I loved reading your posts. Never give up, Never surrender. Look forward
to seeing you complete this.
Live Long and Prosper

Cameron Lewis Sr.

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2014, 12:50:41 am »
Good effort Rob and we will be looking forward to the finish. Thanks for posting an excellent build thread along the way.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2014, 09:14:56 pm »
FINAL UPDATE:

I've come to the decision to scrap this build.  Simply put, after spending over a week looking the model over, I've seen a lot (And I mean A LOT) of errors that I've made, and the cumulative effect of these errors come to the drastic conclusion that I really have no hope of resurrecting this build, at all.  I'll salvage the PE parts, and I'll save everything I can for the next one, but as far as this build, it's a done deal.

Ultimately, I can't really feel bad about this.  In the final analysis, with the learning I've gotten doing this build, as well as all the positive feedback that people have been giving me, I can truly chalk this up in the positive, and see the potential for a better build with a new kit.  As I've heard, we've all had times like this, and for me, I'm truly grateful.

Primarily, I tried to cram too much lighting into this build, and that was a mistake.  The kit's not made for extensive lighting, especially in the trench areas.  Now, I know better, and I know what I need to do to make the next build right.

My many, many thanks for all the support and constructive comments, and my continued gratitude for all the ideas, tips, techniques, and neat stuff I've learned on here.

RE202.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2014, 09:48:31 pm »
I'm sorry to see that you're scrapping your build of the Pegasus. It's your build that's got me fired up to do one of my own, when I can scrape together some funds to pick one up. I thought you were doing a bang up job, but you have the advantage of first hand perspective, and I respect your judgment on this. Can only hope that when you choose to start another one, you will grace us all with another fine build log.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Enterprise © Bloc