Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus (Modified)  (Read 11435 times)

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
  • A NOOB in search of knowledge. :)
Re: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 03:36:00 pm »
I thank ya, sir.  8)
Mal:  "Define Interesting."
Wash:  "Oh, God, Oh, God, we're all going to die?"

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 05:46:28 pm »
UPDATE:  ROOKIE MISTAKE!!   (Or:  Rob, learn to measure and mark your cuts, before you make them!)

After yesterday's fun adventure in woodcutting (prepping the base), I'd come to realize that the base I'd prepped was screwed.  First, the hole I'd drilled to mount the model was too big, as the mounting shaft that came with the model is 3/8", instead of 1/4".  Also, I'd forgotten to put a pilot hole down for where I eventually plan to put the rocker switch for the lights.

Luckily, my enthusiasm was calmed when I woke up this morning, and instead of kicking myself in the butt over a rookie mistake, I realized that I had another of these plaques sitting in my stash, and since they're only $1.50 a pop, I can replace it fairly easily.

Today, I've done a much better job of planning the base, and I drilled the right hole size, along with placing the pilot hole for the switch.  WHy the pilot hole, you ask?  Well, I'm not exactly sure how large the actual mounting hole will need to be, as I haven't acquired the switch yet.  That'll come with the arrival of payday, this coming Friday.

Ultimately, I've managed to salvage my pride, and prepare a much better base for Pegasus.  As of now, I've got the base done, and I've gotten a good start on the fiber-optic prep on the model itself.

More to come.

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 06:15:46 pm »
ADDENDUM:  RULES/CATAGORY DECLARATION

This build will be under the Modified catagory (As if it wasn't plain enough to see...  LMAO!!)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 06:42:11 pm »
Meh...No harm done.  Nice Dremmel riggin' you have
there Rob!!   :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 08:31:05 pm »
Part 2:  Prepping for Fiber Optics.

Note:  This segment brought to you by Dremel!  Making amateur modelers look professional for a damn long time!

So, today, I decided to prep the model for most of it's fiber-optics.  Pegasus demands fiber-optics in great quantity, and the preparation is very detailed, and it requires meticulous attention to detail.

Starting off, I decided to drill the holes into the vertical wall of what I call 'Exterior landing bays', which appear on the outside of the upper landing bays.  In 'BSG: Razor', it's plainly shown that these bays are used for Raptor landings during calm, non-combat times.  On the Moebius kit, the main deck (horizontal plate) of the bays, there's molded bits of equipment, but I'll still work with it, as it looks cool anyway.

Here, we have one of the walls, lashed down to a handy piece of 2x4.

And, here we have .5mm holes drilled for the fiber optics.

Next, I'mm going to drill vertical holes to allow for the Pegasus' nameplate and registry to be lit.  In the show, I've counted a total of six lights shining up on the registry plate from underneath, and so, I've decided to do six holes in the .5mm size.  Normally, I'd be a bit hesitant to do this, but the kit gives us raised lettering to show just how big the lettering area is.  These letters will, of course, be ground away later, to make room for photoetch pieces, but for now, they give us a nice reference point to drill.

And now, we have the holes drilled.

Before I move on with the drilling, it's time for a bit of assembly.  The upper and lower ends of the bow of the ship also are getting F/O lighting, and to make this ready, I have to add on the caps to each section.  Timeto break out the ol' Testors Red-tube!

Next, there's a depression in the bottom of the lower bow section, requiring several points of light.  A total of ten holes were drilled in this section.  (Oh, I'm so glad I have the Dremel drill-press stand!)

The final drill-press actions for the day are for the bow 'patches' that get fitted into the bow sections during assembly.  These parts will remain on the sprue until they're painted and put on the model.

The amazing thing about these patch secions is, they almost seem pre-prepared for drilling, as there were lovely little places that the drill worked perfectly.

With the drill press done, we move on to the flexi-shaft, with a 1mm bit installed.  Now comes the hard part, the running-light points on the forward and rear ends of each flight bay.

And, finally, we use a round-tipped grinding stone to wipe away the molded lettering.

Through all this work, I've used my magnifying visor, and lighting is a MUST when doing stuff like this.  Thanks, folks.

More to come!

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 12:12:47 am »
Good methodical detail work Rob....excellent
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 03:30:22 pm »
Very nice work!
"Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?"

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »
Very, very nice Rob!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »
Off to a good start, after reading your thread makes look forward to how you are going to use the dremel to apply glue and spay paint.... ha ha ha they have a good spokesman in you :)

Looking great and good luck :)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:49 am »
looking good! keep it up!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:11 am »
Glad to hear you had an extra base laying around.  That is a lot of drilling!  But, that work will produce on heck of model in the end man!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »
She is coming along Rob! Nice work.

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 02:02:02 pm »
Fantastic job!

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 05:03:30 pm »
Looking great! Man, I'm in envy of your shop space and ULTRA dremmel! It's getting some good use with all that light prep!
Boldly going...

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
Re: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus (Modified)
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 09:13:10 pm »
NEWS FLASH!!

Today, I took delivery of the JT-Graphics custom decals for the landing bays.  They'll work extremely well with the ParaGrafix PE parts.

WOO HOO!!

Enterprise © Bloc