Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus (Modified)  (Read 20746 times)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
Re: MoebiusModels' 1:4105 Battlestar Pegasus (Modified)
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2014, 05:49:37 pm »
great Idea with the lights! I am considering a similar approach on my reliant
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline jguard68

• JC Modelworks
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »
I really love the detail on this kit. Looking forward to more updates.
JC Modelworks, Professional Model Building

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
  • A NOOB in search of knowledge. :)
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:12 pm »
Activity Log Update:

Well, tonight starts a 9-day vacation for me.  I should get some decent progress on Pegasus done.
Mal:  "Define Interesting."
Wash:  "Oh, God, Oh, God, we're all going to die?"

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »
Update!

Title:  Trenching for F/O lighting.  (Or:  Thank goodness Boyd clued me into that scribing tool!)

No pics today, as I have no batteries for my camera.  Probably some to come on Friday, when I get paid and am able to get some batteries.

So, today's update isn't about a Dremel application.  Rather, it's about good old-fashioned elbow grease, and the use of this fantastic scribing tool that Boyd was kind enough to clue me in on.  With it, I was able to dig out the trenches for the fiber-optic strands that'll be used to light the 'between-deck' parts on both flight-pods, as well as the lateral trench on the forward hull.

It wasn't easy, I can assure you.  From what I've learned about F/O, it needs to be handled somewhat delicately, and not bent to extreme.  Gentle turns, and as much straight-away as possible.  So, I dug out the trenches in this manner, using the scribing tool to carve out the channels needed.

Pics to come, when I can.

R

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2014, 09:19:52 pm »
Looking forward to seeing those pics Rob.  This will be one heck of a build. 
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2014, 02:20:07 pm »
I"m looking forward to some pictures too Rob.

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 03:39:30 pm »
ALERT!!  ALERT!!  ALERT!!  (Damn, I wish I could make this blink)

Due to a small economic crisis, there is a distinct shortage of batteries in Tacoma, Washington (Size AA, to be specific).  Authorities assure us that, within 24 hours, this shortage will be alleviated, but until then, no model build logs of a particular BATTLESTAR (Which may or may not be called 'Pegasus') will be available.

Federal authorities have dismissed this crisis as a Right-Wing pseudo-crisis, and assure us all that, once we get on a needless Gov't program, all battery issues (And the ensuing Digital Photography issues) will be resolved.  The Gov't has yet to respond with any hard evidence to show just what program is applicable, but when has that ever stopped them before?

And, now, on with the opera.

Got more work on the abse done today.

The Mighty Mite table saw did the trick, and trimmed a nice 4"x6" plate for my base.  The edges will need a bit of sanding, but hey, that's to be expected.  I found the proper blade to do the work with plexi, which was a 40-tooth carbide-tipped blade.  Worked like a dream.

And, now, we find our problem...

The switch I purchased for the build has some extended legs to attach the wiring to.  This isn't a problem, except that when I put the switch body through the hole I drilled for it, the legs stick out much too far past the bottom of the base.

I need to find a small 1/4"-thick chunck of wood to make a spacer.  That should make it fit right.

More to come.

[Completely Fake Public Service Announcement]

A personal message, from the society for Battery Replenishment.

Voice-over, as the screen fades to an image of a dishevelled man, standing on the street corner, holding a piece of cardboard with 'Will work for AA batteries' on it.

We've all seen scenes like this.  Simple, hard-working Americans, desperately needing batteries.  The crisis is real, and there's something we all can do.

Image fades to a bland building-facade, with blanked windows and identical staff cars parked out front.

The protable power companies make it their job to manipulate the battery market, forcing a higher-than-normal profit margin.  This must be stopped.

Image fades to a street-side scene, where people are handing out generic batteries from inside an unmarked van.

Bootleg battery dealers are selling substandard batteries that will barely power a digital camera, and most of the time, these batteries fade after fifteen seconds.  What can be done?

Screen fades to a pristine, pastoral scene with trees, a rainbow, and even a few unicorns.

We can help those suffering from battery shortage.  Donate, today, to the Portable Power Coalition's fight to end Battery Famine!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2014, 08:46:39 am »
Hehehe  ;D  Even without pics, still very entertaining!
I do look forward to seeing the "trenching" though.
You can more easily "bend" FO if you very gently heat it over the soldering iron.  This can be done when a fairly extreme bend is required.   :)  You need to experiment to find that sweet spot and be prepared to ruin a few strands.  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2014, 08:53:42 am »
Oh, cool!  Thanks for that, Fumble!  :)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 09:07:40 am »
No problem Rob.  Hope it helps make things easier for you!
 :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »
Fiber-optic spools ordered.  :D

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:46 pm »
Update:  "New Base Progress"  (Or:  Thank goodness it's sunny out!  I finally got the parts primed!)

Yes, folks, that's right.  I finally got the parts for Pegasus primed, and I have to say, Tamiya grey primer is such wonderful stuff!  It lays down perfectly, and the fact that it's in a rattle-can helps a lot, too!

Unfortunately, I won't be adding pics of the priming job.  I forgot to bring my camera when I did it.

However, fret not!  Your hero, Rob, has other pics to look at!

A sneak peek of what the base will look like, once completed.  Here, we see the switch and the image that'll be under the LaserFire Creations plaque that's coming.

Now, an up-close shot of the switch, as well as the spacer I made for it.  I basically cut two pieces of 1/4" basswood, epoxied them together, and then dremel-sanded the edges to make it look nice.  There will be more refinement of the spacer as time goes on.

And now, we see a side-on view of the switch and spacer.  Note:  The longest leg of the switch comes out beyond the spacer, but it doesn't extend past the bottom of the base any more.

And, finally, just for a little added fun, I added some rubber 'feet' to the bottom of the base, to keep it from scuffing or damaging anything I set it on.

More to come.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:25 pm »
Sharp looking base! I'm dreading starting mine... maybe I should hire you to make me one
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 01:48:31 pm »
The base is looking fantastic!  I love that emblem you have made for the base, it is going to take your build up a notch.  Keep having fun man, looking forward to the next update!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 09:44:39 pm »
The base turned out great
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Enterprise © Bloc