Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOS Romulan Bird of Prey COMPLETED! SEE IN GALLERY! (Modified)  (Read 7537 times)

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
Re: TOS Romulan Bird of Prey (Modified)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 06:05:16 pm »
Well, as for scratch building.... it makes a lot of us here on SFMA warm and fuzzy!!  Great subject and doing all the mods is a great way to really kick it up a lot!!! Can't wait to see more.
Jerry
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »
The shuttle bay is a really great idea. Lots of lovely detail

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 01:01:35 am »
Cool idea with the shuttle bays. That's a lot of detail for such a small part.
-Dave

Offline jguard68

• JC Modelworks
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 07:25:45 am »
Awesome detail work. This kit is also on my to do list, someday.
JC Modelworks, Professional Model Building

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:12 am »
Holy smoke!  Talk about tiny!
That is soopercool sooperglew!  8)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 09:48:21 pm »
oooo!  :o scratch built shuttle bays! My favorite! Looking good man!

Geez Michael,  you get all wiggly every time someone mentions scratch building! =)
of course my good man! It is the very heart and soul of the craft!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »
Well the shuttle bays are finished.  The picture quality is horrible due to I had to take them with my crappy phone.  but here they are.  I made this and assembly so that if will make it easier to install in the hull once I have the bay doors done and at that point.

Next I will on the upper hull getting it ready for quite a few additions.   
"You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine." - Flip Wilson

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 07:19:31 pm »
woohoo! Yeah! That looks great! Can't wait to see more!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:00 am »
Wow, nicely done!  As others in the thread have said, it is great to see this scratch build with the shuttle bays.  It is going to add a really nice touch to your ship.  Keep up the great work and keep having fun!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 10:29:30 am »
I agree very Nice job on the shuttle bay.

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 12:57:58 am »
Ok well i started modifications on the upper hull of this bird.  First i got the rear trash shoot drilled out and the impulse engines marked and drilled.

Next the windows & sensor grids I marked and drilled out.  I used standard masking tape to help mark it since the mold was very slick.  I left the tape on while drilling and found that it cut down on the melting effect and flash created.  It does not take it all away but made it very clean.  Also that helped keep the bit from drifting on the plastic at the beginning of the cut.

My next big adjustment was to add an angle to the hull.  The mold came in a 90 degree angle which made it very plain and as I seen in the reference material i seen was that it was angled.   So with that in mind I added 3 steps of styrene around the complete edge except the rear to create the rough angle.

After using my CA glue and zip kicker to lock it in quickly I used my dremel to carefully rough grind the correct angle on this.  Ugh.  this took a couple of days to take the time to get it right.  Slow and steady. :o

Once I got it to an acceptable level ---out came the squadron putty!!!

Finally!  ;D  Now with the rough sanding done I can move on to doing a base primer of the hull and drill out the windows and sensors on the new rim of the bird.

This was my first real modification to the actual kit parts themselves.  It took most of the week to make sure the angles and proportions came out good.  Still a long way to go but this was a huge step in the right direction!!   8)

Oh and by the way.  Huge shout out to Jerry at HDA Modelworx.  He was awesome in helping me obtain a few difficult to find lighting.  THANKS JERRY!!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:19:14 am by sooperglew »
"You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine." - Flip Wilson

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 01:24:52 am »
Great job on those angles! That's a big modification, so kudos to you! I mentioned before, this is my favourite ship of all time hence my avatar!

Are you cutting out windows around the edge? I would love to see someone paint the chequered aztec design on the ship

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 10:22:06 am »
Great job on those angles! That's a big modification, so kudos to you! I mentioned before, this is my favourite ship of all time hence my avatar!

Are you cutting out windows around the edge? I would love to see someone paint the chequered aztec design on the ship

yes.   I will for sure be cutting out the windows on the edge!  I have been also thinking about that aztec that you mentioned.  I have been experimenting on some old styrene to see what kind of shading and effects I can get from it.  I've also go a couple of good pics for reference to get that pattern as well.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:26 pm »
Awesome work sooperglew!!  A lot of patience, persistence and skill required to rework that hull band the way you've done.  My hat is most definitely off to you Sir!   ;) 
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 12:53:40 pm »
Very cool so far. I love the attention to detail you're giving this.
-Dave

Enterprise © Bloc