Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TOS Romulan Bird of Prey COMPLETED! SEE IN GALLERY! (Modified)  (Read 6736 times)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
Re: TOS Romulan Bird of Prey (Modified)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »
Excellent job on that angle modification! Looking forward to seeing what you do next!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 05:01:09 am »
Yeah, nice work there.  Will the bottom have to be modified very much?

Offline TrekWars

• Babby builder of SFMA
  • Lieutenant
  • Refits make good night lights
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:08 am »
Man there are going to be some funky 1/350 kits this comp nice shuttle bays

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »
Yeah, nice work there.  Will the bottom have to be modified very much?

No.  the bottom is pretty much straight forward.  The only thing will be to putty the seam when I close up the hull.  The mods will be coming from the upper hull, pylon wings & nacelles (which will be lighted 8))
"You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine." - Flip Wilson

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »
My next mod to the upper hull is to add the impulse engines to the rear.   Instead of just plain square ports I decided to put them with multiple tubes each. 

I used CA glue and some zip kicker to get them to stick together. 

It took a couple of attempts to get the engines in there correctly.  I had to create a couple of new ones that were a little longer.  The problem was that the CA glue & kicker would get into the engine ports and be clogged.  Lengthening them out solved the problem.

Well I got them puttied and sanded down.  I am happy with the results.  There are a couple of small defects that don't show in the pic but I will take care of those later as I have more hull prep work to do.
    With the engines as they are I will use fiber optic cable to get the light through the tubes.  I tested these before install and it will work perfect.  To give it a better effect I will be using some flicker LED's (Thanks Jerry!) to give the engines some life!.   Next more mods to the hull later.
"You can't expect to hit the jackpot if you don't put a few nickels in the machine." - Flip Wilson

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 05:24:33 pm »
If first you don't succeed right? Looks great in the final shot.
-Dave

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:26 am »
Looking good. 

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 01:25:31 pm »
Looking good.

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 09:44:52 am »
Very nice additions you have been making; the added detail is taking this kit up a notch!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »
First I want to thank everyone for their comments, support & views.  I just want to say that although I have not posted much on other builds I have been following them and there is some awesome stuff out their.  All you guys keep up the great work!

Now with that said I have some new pics of what I have been up to.

First thing is I continued drilling the ports on the edges of the ship.  The next real big project was to cut 125 aluminum & brass tubes then trim, file and get the ports & sensor frames raised that were in the blueprint for the ship. 

Before installing the tubing I then had to cut out part of the styrene in front so I could install the forward disruptor emitters

After that I began the painfully time consuming task of installing all the tubes.

I then put some crystal clear in some of the gaps around the tubes to try and fill to smooth it out.  I primed it again to get an idea where I stand with those gaps so I can fill in anything necessary.

The plan is to put fiber optic cable in each of these ports and color them from the inside.  I have tested this and I is going to come out perfectly to enhance this ship.  My next bit for this top piece is to finish filling around the ports and cutting out the hanger bays so the shuttle bay assembly can be installed.  At that point just to do any detail work on defects and a finish prime on it.  Then to lighting.  I have found that most of the modifications and the like involve this top piece.  But anyways it's coming together!   

AlW

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 05:43:19 am »
Nice work!  How did you get such good uniformity and spacing of the tubes around the hull?  Did you create a template? 

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:27 am »
Nice work!  How did you get such good uniformity and spacing of the tubes around the hull?  Did you create a template?

Actually on the top of the hull there were some markings that were placed pretty accurately except for the rear that have the groups of three.  On the sides I put a piece of standard masking tape and used the blue print as a base then marked with a fine tip sharpie to get it straight.  I left the tape on during the whole drilling process to keep the bit from drifting and then drilled pilot holes first then went from there.  It tool about a week to get it just right.  Just a little patience is what helped.   ::)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
Really like what you've done with classic Warbird from TOS. You obviously put in some time and research, especially to get a hold of those blueprints. And the little aluminum and brass tubing for the ports are exceptional. It really adds a texture and dimension to the smooth hull surface.

Seeing your build awakened an old memory. I have the old AMT kit un-built in my closet. Took it out and looked at it a bit. Hmmm :-\ Maybe I should build this. Don't think I'll put as much extra into mine as you are on yours. Just a basic, almost out of the box build.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline sooperglew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 01:18:02 pm »
Thanks very much for the comment pakratt.  I had no idea that this simple oldie would be such a hit with you guys.  I can't wait to get it finished and show the final pics & throw in a video with it in operation.  My wife says I have to display this one on top of the TV when it's done! 

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 02:12:48 pm »
Looking good so far.

Enterprise © Bloc