Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big Spring Build: KHAAAAAAAN! 1/537 Reliant (Modified)  (Read 19937 times)

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
Re: Big Spring Build: KHAAAAAAAN! 1/537 Reliant (Modified)
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 12:52:45 am »
Thanks Jerry couldn't agree more about the Reliant.

Okay so nothing sexy to show yet but after a couple more hours of filling/re-drilling/cutting oval windows I've fixed 75% of the problematic window holes.

Here you can see a very crude (I'll take better photos these were quick phone shots) before/after. You can see the gray Aves and the corrected size holes.

Some new windows that weren't filled, just patiently cut out (and needing a final sanding) Starboard:

Port:

Port rear:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:54:17 am by DizWhiz »
-Dave

Offline jguard68

• JC Modelworks
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 07:27:47 am »
The window ports looks precise. No slop job there. Man, looking forward to seeing this finished. My second favorite ship from the franchise.
JC Modelworks, Professional Model Building

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 08:42:39 am »
Yeah!  Nice save on that Dave.   :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 01:10:20 pm »
Thanks again! I just need to learn to slow down and when I get frustrated STEP AWAY.

Now for today I did my first work with Photoetch as an add-on. I cut out the officers lounge and added the PE window frame. I also added the grills just behind it. I will say trying to get the PE to stay put while using CA was frustrating. It slide to the left slightly making the windows a bit off center. I'm going to try and build the deck into the PE with ASculpt and even it out. It looks much more exaggerated shot on macro below but at normal distance it's not too terrible, or at least I think I can live with it. (Plus I have no idea how to safely remove it and place it to the right)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:16:23 pm by DizWhiz »
-Dave

Offline jmilesmusicman

• Commander
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 01:15:42 pm »
liking the photoetch. Makes the grille really pop. And, for what it's worth, I can't see any lack of symmetry on the windows... Nice work!
Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.

Anonymous

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 01:52:59 pm »
Nice work your patience was rewarded

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 04:27:40 pm »
Thanks again!

I decided to putty around the officer's lounge and get that set so I can sand/finish it tomorrow. Once that bit is done the main hull is ready for light blocking and primer.

If anyone knows where to buy, or how to make round and oval window masks, I'd appreciate the suggestion. The smallest hole punch I found is 1/16" which is too big for these.

Here is the putty work so far. I fee like I'm an art major again making clay sculptures.

-Dave

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 05:34:37 pm »
Looking slick!

Yeah, those windows look much better!
Gonna have to break out my PE set for this kit and drool over it a while!   =)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
good thing I saw this... I had totally forgot about those windows aft of the bridge! great P.E. work my Reliant brother!  ;D
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 04:51:08 pm »
Thanks Kenny, persistence sometimes pays off right?

Also thanks 3rd (I'm trying to remember everyones names!) glad I could help you out with your build even indirectly.

My next dilemma to figure out are the nav lights on the saucer. I purchased 2mm tall "lighthouse" LEDs because I liked the scale better but I didn't realize how thick they are at the base. Putting one on the top saucer, and one below, the but into one another which isn't going to work. I even sanded down around the stems but I don't feel comfortable with them scrunched up. I may just resolve myself to using the 3mm LEDs that came with my Tenacontrols board.
-Dave

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:56 pm »
Diz would 1.8 mm LED's work? Seems they don't have such a bigger "bottom end" and you might be able to get two in together since you could bend the leads, not sure how far out the smaller lens would protrude through the hull. Maybe some careful milling of the area just under the location of the lights would give you the effect you want.
Brad

Scotty: I found this in Gunneroom, ahhh Ganamere, um, Ganemeade......
Visitor: Well what is it?
Scotty:Well it's....ummm...sniff, sniff.. It's GREEN!

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 09:11:30 am »
Diz would 1.8 mm LED's work? Seems they don't have such a bigger "bottom end" and you might be able to get two in together since you could bend the leads, not sure how far out the smaller lens would protrude through the hull. Maybe some careful milling of the area just under the location of the lights would give you the effect you want.

Thanks for the suggestion Brad I actually tried a couple of 1.6mm LEDs I had in my pile and they don't make it through the plastic (They are nearly identical to 1.8mm LEDs). I did a test on an old kit and the 3mm aren't too terrible so I'm thinking of just using some clear versions so they aren't noticeable when off. For some reason I had it in my head that 3mm would like enormous.
-Dave

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 10:28:40 am »
Looking good!  I like seeing the photo etch going on; I have never really worked with myself, so each thread I see which contains the stuff is valuable to me as an inexperienced model maker.  You are bringing her to life; keep up the great work and keep having fun!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2014, 08:32:27 pm »
Diz would you post a close up of the 3mm when you get one mounted? I would like to see how it looks close up. I searched here for a photo from someone using one in a1/537 scale.
Brad

Scotty: I found this in Gunneroom, ahhh Ganamere, um, Ganemeade......
Visitor: Well what is it?
Scotty:Well it's....ummm...sniff, sniff.. It's GREEN!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:13 am »
Dave and Brad, not sure if you Guys have seen this...It may be of some help.

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=770.0
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Enterprise © Bloc