Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar Lights Round 2 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser 1:1000 scale (Box Stock)  (Read 14279 times)

Offline philco36

• Commander
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow - Uriah Heep
Re: Polar Lights Round 2 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser 1:1000 scale
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 04:35:36 am »
Nice go at it bud. I just recently bought my first air brush, a badger 350. I got a real great deal at my local hobby shop(which is closing, sniff). I can't wait to try it. The compressor I purchased from Amazon(christmas amazon gift cards). And NEVER apologize for being human bud!! The Great Bird of the Galaxy would NEVER allow you to apologize for the human condition!!

Phil

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
Re: Polar Lights Round 2 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser 1:1000 scale
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 10:55:30 am »
Man, checking out some of the other tasks fellow Spring Builders are tackling on their threads, I feel like a complete dolt struggling with my bussards.  :o

Perhaps I should have attempted a lighting mod...something to at least add something...not a stock box kit.  :-\ I think I'm in over my head...

...sooo tempted to return to lurk-ing.

You are doing GREAT!  Heh, wait until you get a load of what I have going.  I, sir, destroy more models before 9 am then most model makers do all day!  Keep everyone's feedback in mind; just like you said, this forum is very encouraging.  Great people here!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Here's some thoughs I had and have been posting in the Tips and Tools section regarding the saucer gridlines and possible paint techniques for scratch aztecing. Not sure about the scratch Aztec thing yet, as that may be over my head, but man, it would look cool.

I've seen some folks use a compass or template method on other sites to create the gridlines on the causer that I am willing to take a crack at, so been looking into that with some Sinclair Blueprints files I downloaded . I can scan and drop those in CAD and resize them to the correct scale and use them as a basic template for the gridlines I think.

Thoughts are welcome!

I'd recommend a flat coat to write on.  Pencils really do not work on a smooth glossy surface--trust  me.  The other issue is keeping the line consistent, as a regular lead will widen as it wears down.

A small diameter drafting pen may be the best option, but there you need to be sure the surface is compatible with the ink, and that your top coat won't run.

Do the rules allow printing your own decals?

I'm pretty sure the rules are, all stock, including decals, no modifications. However, one can "paint" any way they like. I think that's where I can achieve some success in adding some "pop" to the otherwise plain saucer section of the PL 1:1000. I am thinking on creating my own Aztecs and then doing the compass method, either the CD technique that Starseigeplayer suggested, compass, or template, or combination of all three.
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Got the inner bussard clear part installation into an assembled nacelle figured out tonight.

Here you can see that I trimmed the bussard collector part down a tiny bit, and I mean a tiny bit, with a brand new hobby knife. Then I used my jewelers files, flat and round, to take that edge down bit by bit, checking frequently against the fit to the assembled nacelle. I stopped filing as soon as I could get it past the nacelle inner opening without any force.

I did the same to the inner portion of the nacelle, ensuring to leave plenty of surface for the outer bussard collector dome to be canopy glued to.

Now you can see that the inner bussard collector dome just fits inside the nacelle while the nacelle is assembled. There is a little wiggle room, but nothing that some canopy glue can't fix, which needs to be applied anyhow.

Al this done, including a little college coursework, AND happened to look up and catch a great shot of ol' 1701 in the opening to Season 3 Episode 19 Requiem for Methuselah...yeah it's the CGI shot from Netflicks, but it's one of the better. Must have rewound that (err can one rewind anymore...) 6 times. :D
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Quick question, is scribing considered a modification?

ex. Some lines on the secondary hull could be deepened to assist in weathering I think. Also the bussard collector inner dome could use some scribing on the outside portion of the raised areas to assist in my thoughts on paint application.
Boldly going...

Offline DanielCline

• Commander
    • Professional Website
Greetings Luffy,

While you have to wait for an official word, i'd like to weigh in with my thoughts... Panel lines is something that comes up with Gundam competitions all the time..its a very popular thing to do....

Id say if your deepening a panel line I rely don't see that as a modification, sometimes detail in models can get soft after the molds have been around a while.... however scribing new lines I would see as a modification, same as filling lines in...

like I said need an official word, but thats my 2 cents.... ha ha

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
Nice work around there Lufty!
Well Done!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net

Big brother needed some company while in spacedock getting dry fit I think.  ::)
Boldly going...

dlots1701a

don't see a problem there Lufty looking good

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
Yea, that is looking real good!  Great start!  I know you mentioned being new at this, but don't get discouraged about anything because it really is just plastic and anything can be fixed... but your plowing forward and looking good!  Way to go!
Jerry
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
The file has been put to work a bit last night, most everything off the sprue is looking great. This little gap here though, is gonna need some TLC!

I think I may need to take some material off the upright struts, as it's keeping the seams open at that joint, but it's a trade-off, either widen the gap for the top of the secondary hull where it's tight currently, or fill in this area here by the shuttlebay...decisions, decisions.

I'll mull on it for a day and sand that B class back there... ;D
Boldly going...

dlots1701a

putty  and sand been there done that recommend perfect plastic putty  take two strips of tape put on eith side of seam lay putty, remove excess with water, sand smooth

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
putty  and sand been there done that recommend perfect plastic putty  take two strips of tape put on eith side of seam lay putty, remove excess with water, sand smooth

I haven't tried Perfect Plastic, but I've used Tamyia grey, and Mr. Hobby Dissolved Putty (which I like allot, but not for this application). Thanks for the tip on taping off the seam! I had not thought of that!
Boldly going...

dlots1701a

i see what the problem is turn you struts piece 180 and i will believe it will fit better for you if you will notice on the bottom where the struts fit in to the secondary hull the two sides are shaped different bigger toward the front and smaller toward the back that seam will not be so large

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
i see what the problem is turn you struts piece 180 and i will believe it will fit better for you if you will notice on the bottom where the struts fit in to the secondary hull the two sides are shaped different bigger toward the front and smaller toward the back that seam will not be so large

Boldly going...

Enterprise © Bloc