Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar Lights Round 2 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser 1:1000 scale (Box Stock)  (Read 23409 times)

Offline acela2030

• Lieutenant
Nice work, she's coming along!
Roaming the hobby shop galaxy, assimilating kits at random.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Some final test fitting. Sanded the secondary hull down at the seams a bit, and filed/sanded the interior fittings and snap-fit pegs and female inserts allowing for a little "wiggle room" in assembly. It is still fairly tight, but I think when clamped and glued I should get minimal seams.

Before:

After final test fitting:

I have also worked on my 2nd application of putty for the seams on the nacelles. Sanded here, they are looking/feeling much better. I will be hitting them up with some Tamyia grey primer today/tomorrow as the weather report is awesome for SF...it's actually sunny...and I think I've slowly developed into a Morlock living here.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:40:20 pm by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
Morlock! Lol  :P that just might be your new handle!  ;)
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Here is some detail on getting the test fit together, and minimizing seams prior to glue/putty application.

You will need a jewelers file set, and some #600 grit sandpaper. I got my jewelers files at a local hardware store for under $10 for a set of 10 different files (perhaps more).

Be careful when doing file work AND sanding. Make sure you do not hit areas that don't need file work or sanding, such as the outer hull halves where they connect to form the completed hull. I have found sanding these is OK only AFTER you have each half assembled. If you sand or file before they are together, you may end up with more problems!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:17:38 pm by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline Joe Boss Red Seven

• Commander
  • "There Is No Such Thing As Luck!"
    • BLACK SIX RED SEVEN
You are doing a fine job.
 :)

Quarky

Good job so far sir... Watching with interest... I love those wee  1\2500's... Soooooo cute  8)

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
Lookin good!
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
Things are coming along really nice with your build, keep up the great work!  Also, I have been enjoying your small video looks into your new airbrush and booth.  Great side projects you have going on with those, so double kudos!  Keep having fun man.   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
It is looking good

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! Keeping me inspired and excited to get my butt in gear and stop fiddling around with equipment! Well, now that my last midterm exams are over, a month away for Finals, and my airbrush booth configured, I'm ready to begin the the last run! Paint!

Now if it would just stop raining, and these parts would cure up! And yes, there IS a model under all of those clamps!

The test fitting was a long process on this kit, it was kinda skewed here and there, and getting the nacelle struts on correctly was kinda a pain...really tight fit, and over sanding would have been a disaster. The front secondary hull had a large gap that needed addressing and tight clamping as well, but the main secondary hull seam along the top looks good, as well as the shuttlebay area which I think are the first areas one sees when they look at the model (looking for seams anyhow). We shall see once she comes out of the Iron Maiden.

(insert Steve)

WOAH IT'S STEVE HARRIS!

Should be painting by this Sunday, unless the rain keeps up...well I got little parts to clean up anyhow. Will post updates as they progress.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:40:55 am by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
I suggest you wrap some rubber bands all around that assembly to make sure it well clamped!  Looking good....

LOL
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
I suggest you wrap some rubber bands all around that assembly to make sure it well clamped!  Looking good....

LOL

Haha! You know, I WAS thinking about wrapping it as well...too funny!
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Pulled the secondary hull from the iron maiden and sanded. I'm glad I took Boyd's advice on test fitting, because the seams are minimal, if at all. Now some minor putty, and priming.

Test fitting and sanding of the saucer is complete as well, and now the big decision on whether to paint first, or assemble mask and paint with clear parts in place. To be honest I am really apprehensive about painting first then tackling the ever crucial seam of the saucer halves post paint...I do see the technical benefits of doing do, less masking, or liquid maksing, so I believe I will be taking that advice for the 1st time.

Off to the store this afternoon to grab some Tamiya!
Boldly going...

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
She is looking great!!! Makes me want to dig one of mine out and get started.....
"Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?"

Offline jguard68

• JC Modelworks
  • Commander
Looking forward to the finished version. I need to pick up this kit. Looks like a lot of fun.
JC Modelworks, Professional Model Building

Enterprise © Bloc