Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polar Lights Round 2 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser 1:1000 scale (Box Stock)  (Read 22868 times)

Offline TrekWars

• Babby builder of SFMA
  • Lieutenant
  • Refits make good night lights
Lol got enough clamps that thing isn't going anywhere, when I did my 1:650 enterprise (I was extremely inexperienced and didn't know putty existed) I probably used 5-6 of my sisters hair scrunches or whatever they are
Very nice so far lufty
I'd say my half done 1:650 is a little bit of a "fixer-upper"

Trekwars

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
Good job, its coming along very nicely

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
Nice Lufty!  You sure did get a tight fit on the seams.   :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
I am having a hard time deciding on how to tackle 2 of my current hurdles:

• Nacelles attachment to the secondary hull pylons. No matter which way I twist, inspect, push, I just can't figure out how these things are supposed to go on. I can see that if I remove material around the nacelle inserts (rectangular holes) It may twist in somehow to "lock" ala snap-fit? Or I could remove some material on the struts themselves, on "top" or "bottom" but where will the epoxy go? Man. Also, should I wait until the nacelles are painted before doing this, as I will need to wet sand and whatnot, and pressure on the parts could cause a failure during sanding.
  • Paint the saucer sections first before assembly. I've gotten the pro advice that this is the way to go, and then glue/putty/paint the seam only once the top and bottom sections are completed with the clear parts(dome, lights). But that leaves hand painting the dome (scary) as more then 1/2 of it is hull paint, and masking off the lights anyhow.

Sanding and putty is complete for round 1, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with the saucer painting and nacelle assembly. The latter has me more worried I think as any reoval could effect structural stability, and pose a real threat to failure when wet sanding the paint comes into play.

Mmmmmrrr...?
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Well, I've had some major airbrush debacles, and I still can't for the life of me figure out how to get the nacelles glued to the uprights. Can't seem to find any pics or videos about it, as they are supposed to be glued in place before assembly. GOt some advice here, but still, there nothing to glue or hold the parts together.

Totally at a loss on how this is accomplished, as there is noting inside the nacelle to actually "glue" it to the insert of the strut...should have assembled them I assume AFTER attachment to the struts I guess?  :-\

Might have to bow out, as time is running out, and disassembling the glued nacelles is kind of not an option as they are sanded and primed, along with the secondary hull and saucer for paint.

Soo close, but alas, no time left. Uggh.
Boldly going...

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
Lufty dont give up mate when you are so close to the finish. One thought could you add styrene to the top part of the pylon which will fthen act as a block to fit into the hole of the nacelle, enough depth so the the block could sit onto the inisfe of the top part ofthe nacelle? it doesnt have to be styrene i suppose maybe a wooden dowel

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Lufty dont give up mate when you are so close to the finish. One thought could you add styrene to the top part of the pylon which will fthen act as a block to fit into the hole of the nacelle, enough depth so the the block could sit onto the inisfe of the top part ofthe nacelle? it doesnt have to be styrene i suppose maybe a wooden dowel

Hmm. That might count as a mod though. That might work however.
Boldly going...

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
is it not the same as sanding a part?

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
is it not the same as sanding a part?

Not sure. You have a really good point there, and I could probably cut some spur from the kit to add bracing to that area to have something to glue to. Otherwise, I can't see how anyone glues those pylons to the nacells without assembling them first.

When you look inside, when the parts are together, the pylon part that goes inside the slot in the nacelle rests on a tiny, tiny surface area, perhaps 1mm long by .5mm wide, it's like a little flash or bracing part. No idea how the snap fit works.

I'll step back for a day...I just got finished with crazy finals so I'm still spun out, and haven't had time to get on the project for some weeks due to finals and school schedule.

I just applied my last bit of primer/putty on a couple of minor areas I thought needed it, and am heading out of the city for the weekend at a friends place.

Everything should be dry by the time I get back, and I'll see what I can do with the time remaining. Final sanding, the big glue up the pylon mystery, and then paint. I'll do my best to finish, thanks for the inspiration!   ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:36:18 pm by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
looking at the out the box category statement it says that to qualify there should be no use of after matket parts. i dont think that a piece of sprue would count as an after market purchase.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Bummer. Somehow the Testors Red got "melty" and melted the plastic in the nacelle cavity. Not sure how that happened!

It moves and has a rubber-like feel to it, and stretches the styerene. I'll post photos, but man it's really weird!

Has anyone seen Testors Red do this before?
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
I guess I used too much glue, it totally melted the plastic of the nacelle right thru to the exterior! Wow, what a bummer. Came home and the project is ruined :(

Well, I guess folks were right when they said I'd ruin my first few kits. Bummer though, I put allot of time in sanding and prep, priming and filling to get a nice seamless hull and nacelles, and it comes to the glue...again.

My 1st project was the same, the 2500 scale kits have a tough time with glue, and you have to use it really REALLY sparingly I guess.

My error here was squeezing in a ton of glue, thinking it would form a cement layer for the nib/slot of the plyon to lay in, inside the nacelle, since inside there, there are no snap fit parts, or even material to glue the part to, if one assembples the nacelles first.

The glue actually softened the plastic of the pylon tip and the nacelle itself, was soft, rubbery-like feeling to the touch, like a soft play-dough like consistency.

I have a spare kit, and I'll assemble the nacelles WITH the pylons next time.

It's been an experience I guess, depressing, but I'm looking forward to seeing the results of my fellow builders.

I'm out for this one. Perhaps some more experience on my own is necessary before rushing things in the contest with school, and life stuff coming up during the contest. I may be able to salvage the pylon, but its tab/slot has been totally melted off. Perhaps a Saladin class or something would be good for the parts left over, or I can order spares from Round 2 I guess too.

Man I am bummed out.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:02:25 pm by Lufty »
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Boldly going...

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
Looking that these parts, I don't see any way to gule the nacelle to the pylon. It's just a little tab, with nothing to hold it to inside the nacelle...what a totally poor design.

I'd be REALLY interested to know how anyone else has done it. I just don't see how without modifying the kit.
Boldly going...

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
Looking that these parts, I don't see any way to gule the nacelle to the pylon. It's just a little tab, with nothing to hold it to inside the nacelle...what a totally poor design.

I'd be REALLY interested to know how anyone else has done it. I just don't see how without modifying the kit.

Sorry to see what happened with your build.   :(  At least you have a spare, though.

It might be easier to first install the the pylon assembly that has the tab into the warp nacelle half that has the slot for it.  This way, you can be sure the tab is aligned correctly before sealing up the nacelle and glueing on the bottom half of the pylon assembly.

That's one way to do it, but I know that way makes it more difficult to work around when it comes to puttying and sanding out the seams.
"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

The Model Stash Blog: https://themodelstash.blogspot.com/

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Enterprise © Bloc