Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)  (Read 14863 times)

Offline Joe Boss Red Seven

• Commander
  • "There Is No Such Thing As Luck!"
    • BLACK SIX RED SEVEN
Re: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2014, 08:19:09 am »
Good work Jeff!
 :)
You are making good progress on your build!

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:50 am »
Excellent work and great idea on hiding the battery.
-Dave

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2014, 01:27:54 pm »
looking outstanding Jeff! I like you hatch set up.

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:37 pm »
First off, this build is looking great!  Secondly, thanks for sharing so much within your thread; you have no idea how valuable that information is for us new guys!  Keep up the great work, and keep having fun man!   8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2014, 09:33:03 pm »
Darn you Fumbles.  I had to search one out.  Luckily a shop about an hour away still had one.  I will refer back to this when I start mine.
Thanks
Steve

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2014, 09:16:12 pm »
Darn  you Big Game! I have been looking for one for months! If it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! Congrats on your find!
Brad

Scotty: I found this in Gunneroom, ahhh Ganamere, um, Ganemeade......
Visitor: Well what is it?
Scotty:Well it's....ummm...sniff, sniff.. It's GREEN!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2014, 08:50:33 pm »
Hey Hey Hey Fellas!

It's been a long while since I've updated the build here.  Sorry about that Guys, life's been getting in the way of the fun.  Anyway, it's been slowly moving forward.  The interior walls are all but complete.  Just need to let the decals thoroughly dry, then spray on some dullcoat.  It's supposed to rain here all weekend.  If that holds true, I'm gonna put in some serious bench time!  ;D

Here's a few shots of the progress.

The rivet detail on the seats was absent on the kit parts.  It was plainly obvious in the show and looked way bigger than rivets.  A|lmost like carriage bolt heads.  A little blob of white glue was applied with a toothpick to approximate the detail. (Don't worry Guys, I didn't count the rivets!  ;) ;D).

I added some fibre optic to Chief Sharkey.  Surprisingly, it didn't snap or buckle when I pulled it tight into his head.  Hey man, it's the sixties!  Everybody smoked!  I'll light this fibre with a flickering orange LED.

More sixties style flare in the form of eye candy  :P.  The female figure from the TOS bridge kit was reworked to suit my needs.  Her arms were cut into pieces and repositioned.  The hairstyle and miniskirt will work out great!

The interior walls...

The lit shots are over exposed.  In person, the colours are much more vibrant and you can actually see the needles and dashes in the two half moon lookin' gauges.  Pretty cool!

So, if it does rain all weekend, I'll be hitting this build hard!!  But first, I'll be taking my Saturday morning coffee and having a good catch up on everyone's Spring Build projects!  Cheers Guys!  :)

Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2014, 09:23:18 pm »
Those walls are very impressive Jeff.....  must have taken a lot of patience? Nice catch on the seat "rivets" too.....   I forgot all about them till you mentioned it and then the memory came back clearly.

The flying sub was one of my favorite day dream subjects when I was a kid.... you're doing a killer job on it!
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »
Those bulkheads and seats are looking so good! Beautiful work.
Brad

Scotty: I found this in Gunneroom, ahhh Ganamere, um, Ganemeade......
Visitor: Well what is it?
Scotty:Well it's....ummm...sniff, sniff.. It's GREEN!

Offline sabreuk

• honi suit que maly pennes
  • Admiral
  • UBIQUE
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2014, 03:31:07 am »
Agreed with piper you have done an awesome job on this build so far fumbles.
touch me not with impurity

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2014, 08:36:33 am »
Looking great Jeff. Man I love how those P.E. parts look! They really make it pop. Interested to see how you mount it.
I've pondered that as the model doesn't really have a good spot for attaching anything.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2014, 10:54:58 am »
Awesome Jeff l always love the detail you go into.  I really camt wait to see this project completed

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:47 pm »
Thanks very much for looking in and commenting on the thread here Guys!  Appreciate it!  :)

@ Steve:  Great news about getting the kit Steve!  However, I refuse to be held responsible for
                your hoarding of models!!  ;D

@Boyd:  I plan on using the kit supplied stand Boyd.  I'm sure you know, it's a really nice clear stand.  That's the main reason I wanted to go with self contained power.  I just couldn't see a tidy way of routing wires down the stand.

A fair amount of work done on the sub this weekend.  Not a ton, but fair.  I got the paint down on the lower hull (no pic yet) and I'm ecstatic with the result.  It's a big area so I used my el cheapo Badger 350 (I think that's the number) external mix gun.  It worked like a champ and made a really nice job.  Got a couple light boxes made up and installed.  The floor and girder support frame are now permanently glued in place.  Incidentally Guys, I nixed the floor lighting.  It wasn't a good look and was causing the floor to sit high.  It actually detracted from the look of the interior model so, off with it's head!  ;)  I've set the wall panels and "dashboard" in place dry, just to see how it's all going to fit.  It literally falls together.  Anyway, here's a few shots.

Light box fabbed up.  I found 2 white led's gave the desired effect.

and installed...

Still tons to do considering my snails pace of building, but I'm bound bent and determined to finish this up by the end of the month!!

Again Guys, thanks for the interest and for looking in here!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2014, 12:26:26 am »
Fantastic...some great tidbits here for when I build mine (who knows when that will be!)
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »
Excellent job Jeff! The PE parts look great and I love the smoking guy! Light them if you got them.

Enterprise © Bloc