Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)  (Read 14862 times)

Offline Baabaa214

• Lieutenant
Re: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2014, 06:32:07 pm »
Looking great

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2014, 12:50:32 am »
Looking sweet Jeff, she is coming along, I have no doubt that you will finish on time

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »
Looking good. Funny, but it never occurred to me that the rear access hatch was off center inside and on center outside between the two turbines, until I saw the serpentine tunnel in your photo. And I built the old Monogram(?) kit many years ago. I wonder if they altered where the inner hatch was in that kit, even though it wouldn't be screen accurate?
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2014, 10:01:17 pm »
Hi Guys!  :)

Well, unfortunately the Flying Sub won't be finished by the contest deadline.  I've just been way to busy with work and the myriad of other things going on this time of year.  In fact, I've not sat at the bench since my last update.  I apologize to you fellas that were looking forward to seeing this one completed.  I will definitely keep any and all progress to the build posted here at SFMA.  Congratulations to all who participated!  Incredibly high level of model work here Guys!   A genuine pleasure to watch.  Good luck to you Guys who have entered for judging!!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2014, 10:19:39 pm »
Ahhh...  I was just wondering where you were at. That's a shame you can't make the dead line Jeff....  I know exactly the feeling though, things keep coming up so often when I try to plan for fun instead.

Too nice of a build not to finish up though.....  I'll definitely be watching for your updates.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:17:23 am by ImWolf »
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
Will be looking forward to seeing the finish Jeff. Thanks for participating in the contest and doing a great job on your build logs.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2014, 05:11:59 pm »
OK...Fair warning Boys...This thing is back on the bench!  I unpacked and dusted er off last Friday night.  Been picking away at it ever since.  Should have something to show by the weekend.  :)

Jeff.

Offline r0bert

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2014, 02:15:57 am »
Well, I just finished last November's group build, as wall as the one from July!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:40 pm »
I'm still working on my Jupiter 2, and it's not nearly as involved as your build FT. Started it on March 30...not done yet. ??? You did some fine mods on yours. Again, wish Moebius would re-pop this kit.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline mvoyager0608

• Mike
  • Commander
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »
I just followed your thread on the FS and you've literally knocked my socks off with your excellent work. I'll keep watching your post to see the final results.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2014, 09:49:33 am »
Hey Guys!  Thanks for dropping in on the old Flying Sub saga!  :)

I picked this build back up by working on the reactor core wall.  I used 3 colour change LED's to bring it to life.  A light box was fabbed up and fastened to the back.  The Led's were wired up and installed.  Metal foil tape and black fabric paint were used to light block and eliminate the light leaks.

I mounted the clear piece that defines the circles, to the backside of the wall with micro crystal clear.  First, the clear piece was coated with a dull coat to frost it.  I was still able to see through it into the light box pretty clearly so added a thin piece of white sheet styrene to remedy.  It worked out well.  You Guys will have to take my word for it that the colour changes are very nice (I don't know how to put up video yet  ;D)  Each of the three lights move through a run of red, orange. yellow, green, blue, purple.  They are changing at different rates and produce a great combination of shades.

More soon,
Thanks for checkin' it Guys!!   :) 

Jeff.

Offline sabreuk

• honi suit que maly pennes
  • Admiral
  • UBIQUE
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2014, 11:11:33 am »
Fumbles your doing an awesome job on this build I've knicked your pics and gona share them on tonight's euro hangout :) if you don't mind :)
touch me not with impurity

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »
By all means Craig!  That's what it's all about Buddy.  Helping each other out with the hobby we all love!   :)

Jeff.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2014, 07:30:54 pm »
A little more accomplished here fellas.

The engines/thrusters are lit up.  Each one consists of two kit parts.  There is the "can" itself and a slotted "cover" to let the light on through.  I first primed and painted the parts with Tamiya flat aluminum.  Then drilled a hole in the base of each can to accept a 5mm, red LED.  The engine cans were wrapped in foil tape and given the fabric paint treatment to light block. One of my main goals on this build is to have light emitting ONLY from where it is supposed to be!  I don't want any unexplained, ambient light appearing inside the sub.  Hence the constant effort to light block and seal all of the lit components.  Anyway, I wired the two red engine lights in series with a flickering LED. A resistor was installed on the flickering LED only.  This does a few things.  Number one, and the reason I did this, it makes the two red engine lights flicker.  On the downside, the three LED's are sharing the voltage required to run one LED.  However, they are still plenty bright enough, so no worries there.  The main problem with wiring in series, as many of you know, is that the odds of complete component failure increase.  If the resistor on the flickering LED or any of the three LED's themselves fail, that will open the circuit and the whole issue will go out.  Well, I let the setup run for 24 hours on the bench and no problems so it will be installed.  The flickering engines look super cool!!  A person can buy or make a board to get the flicker effect, but I chose to take the easy way out  ;D.  Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me!  :o

Enough chatter!  Here's the rig.  The little blob on the right is the flickering LED suitably light proofed...

Here's lit.  Again, sorry no video to show the flicker effect ::)  Gonna have to work on that!

Jeff.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:24 pm »
More SciFiModelAction  :)   A quick update.

Paint work completed on the lower hull...

Front spotlights installed...

Finally, some fibre optics on board...

More to come.  Thanks for checkin' it!
Cheers Guys!  :)

Jeff.

Enterprise © Bloc