Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)  (Read 12784 times)

Online ImWolf

• Admiral
Re: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »
Very nice work Jeff......   makes me wanna jump right in there and crash it into an ocean!

:b
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »
Looking really nice Jeff. Glad your back on it.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2016, 12:32:29 am »
Coming this Saturday August 6, 2016.....The return of Fumbles Flying Sub!

Almost 2 1/2 years since build start and almost 2 years since the last
update.....The build goes on!

Completion is imminent!!

Tune in Saturday for more......
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:39:13 pm by fumblethumbs »
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2016, 11:12:29 am »
Thats what I like...persistence! Its the same with me and my Refit...I will soon be resuming that long overdue build.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:25 pm »
You're right Armando.  Some of these larger projects, with lighting and PE take two or three runs to complete.  I busted this one back out on Thursday.  It's actually pretty close.  I've put a few hours in on it and there's not much left to do.  The bulk of the remaining work consists of the body and paint work on the upper hull.  I've taken some pics of the last couple days progress and will get them up as soon as I upload them.  Probably going to be tomorrow.  Be nice to finally have this one in the books!!   

Jeff.

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2016, 01:35:36 pm »
OK Fellas, here's the latest of the final chapter on 2014's group build.
After looking the model over I made up a list of things to be done.  All soldering of final electrical tie ins was done.  Hot glue was used to secure and tidy the birds nest of wiring.  Now for some reason, I attached the rear engine bulkhead to the upper hull???  Not sure why I thought this was a good idea, as it results in an "electrical tie" between the two hull halves.  Much better to initially install it to the lower hull.  This way, all the lighting, wiring and power inputs are contained in the lower hull.  The upper hull can simply be "slapped" on.  So, I had to remove and replace the rear bulkhead.  Then, the engines were installed.  I decided to run two power options.  The 9 volt battery, accessible through the landing gear hatch (as demonstrated earlier in the thread) is great.  It allows for untethered display.  But, with 23 leds running, the battery is only good for 2-3 hours.  I decided to add a plug in power pack as well.  I chose a 9v  600 mA wall-wart.  I let it run for several hours and everything seemed to be fine.  Neither the resistors, or the pack itself got too warm.  I rigged up a plug in port at rear of ship.  So, it'll be nice to have the option of onboard battery or wall plug power.  The only caution with this set-up would be to NEVER have a battery in when plugged into the wall.  I would imagine the effect would be "charging" a non chargeable 9v battery.  I suppose one could isolate each power method with switches, but one would still have to remember to position the switches correctly.  OK, enough blather about that......

Here's some pics....

Power port

I mentioned way earlier in the thread that any "unexplained" ambient light was strictly taboo on this build.  So, I needed to black out the input led's and fibre optic strands.  I used black paint as well as black fabric paint.  (Fabric paint is definitely the bomb for cancelling light leaks!)

This final shot shows the large sink mark around the edge where the "locking lip" is on the underside of the upper hull.  Putty, primer, putty.....you Guys know the drill!

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 01:55:32 pm by fumblethumbs »

Jeff.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #141 on: August 07, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »
Nice work Jeff.

This final shot shows the large sink mark around the edge where the "locking lip" is on the underside of the upper hull.  Putty, primer, putty.....you Guys know the drill!

Is that the darker yellow groove running around the edge of the saucer? Yikes! I haven't even taken mine out of the shrink wrap yet. And yes, it is the older kit, not the re-tooled one Moebius released recently. Looks like I'll be doing the same putty, sand, repeat scenario too. :(
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline Armandodlc

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • I am the beginning. The end. The one who is many.
    • DLC Model Builders on Google +
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2016, 08:23:11 am »
Some nice work there. Looking fantastic.
My youtube channel: DLC Model Builders is at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCmRSBxKoouCslj6_-bOPcQ

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:31 pm »
Hey Dan!  Thanks for dropping in.  Yes, you are correct about the location of the sink.  It's jumping out badly because I've given the hull a going over with a 600 wet sanding.  It's actually not  too terrible.  Anyone without OCD would be fine with it....So.....yeah.....no one here would be OK with it.  No knock on Moebius though.  Just the way it is with thick styrene parts.  Some of the "connection pillars" have the same thing going on. (You'll see what I mean when you do your kit.  Awesome kit though!!  I love Moebius kits!  Local shop has the 8 window Seaview on the shelf...Or is it the 4 window...Anyhow,  I'm busting to grab it.  AND  I just picked up the Bride of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon kits.  Love me some Moebius kits!! 

Cheers Armando!  Thanks for peeking in!   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:21:14 pm by fumblethumbs »

Jeff.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2016, 02:54:40 pm »
Nice, Jeff!  Looks good to me!  Keep up with the putty/sand/putty/sand....  We do all know the drill, don't we? 

Builder of all things StarShip...

Enterprise © Bloc