Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)  (Read 12862 times)

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
Re: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
Awesome work Fumbles! I still kick myself for missing out on this kit. Trying to find one now is tough. I do hope Moebius reissues it. Steve Neal did a long and detailed build of this model and he well documented it on his youtube channel. I was just getting the bug back when he started it and of course , the model had already been discontinued. :( so No Flying Sub for me! well not the 1/32 version anyway. This model has so much potential!
Brad

Scotty: I found this in Gunneroom, ahhh Ganamere, um, Ganemeade......
Visitor: Well what is it?
Scotty:Well it's....ummm...sniff, sniff.. It's GREEN!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 12:38:02 pm »
Hi Guys!

As always, your comments and input here is very much appreciated! 
Thanks for the interest.  :)

Some of you Guys have mentioned that you're liking the size and look of this kit.  Well, it is a pretty cool model, and I can highly recommend it.  Don't quote me, but I think I read somewhere that Moebius may be reissuing this one in 2014.  I do stand to be corrected on that point.  If not this year, surely they will bring it back at some point.

Anyway, a little more progress.  I got the interior frame all finished up.  The instruction called for "steel" colour, so I went with Tamiya metallic grey. 

Here you can see that the notch in the inner ring, which accepts the peg on the leg frame, is now gone.

I used a bit of filler to fashion a "weld bead" where the frame leg butts into the inner ring.  The "line" around the outside of the ring is actually a step detail and not a mold line. Difficult to tell from the pic, but there is actually a slight texture on the bottom half of the ring.

The close up piccys make the assembly look kind of pinkish.  Here's a better representation of the colour.

Now, why all this diddlin' around with the ring/leg joins you may ask.  Well, Moebius has cleverly designed the kit where the top docking ring (the big blue circle on top of the sub) can be made completely removable.  It's a simple modification that is covered in the instructions.  The upshot is, this mod will allow for much better viewing of the interior detail.  Thing is, the top of the interior frame will be the first thing one sees when the docking ring is removed.  The inner ring and leg junction points will  be front and centre.  So that's the reason I went to task on this area.

OK, next thing is some figures for the inside.  Now there is a sweet set of aftermarket resin figures for this kit.  But, every place I checked was showing no availability.  I puzzled over what to do for figures for a week.  Modify 1/35 soldiers?  ???  Sculpt from scratch?   ???  Then the light bulb went on.  I'm ripe with 1/32 figures!  ;D

Figures from the new and old releases of the TOS bridge kits.

After looking at these, I decided I might be able to make do with them.  I chose the original kits Kirk to make Nelson. 

Check out the mold line! :P   Let's not overlook that ejector pin mark right on the temple!  ::)

So, I cleaned it up a bit, filed down the chin a bit...

I think once the proper colours are applied it may pass for Nelson.  May have to lower the hairline a bit.  ;D

That's about it for now Guys.  Thanks for having a gander!!  :)

Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 01:13:05 pm »
Man that is some clean, solid work you have so far on the framework. Also cool that you can open her up when all said and done.
-Dave

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »
Looking goodJeff!
When I do my big sub I'm gonna send you the figures to paibt for me!  =)

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »
The head you reduced the chin on would be good for Adm. Nelson, would leave a little of the chin on with the other since Capt. Crane had a bit of a sharper chin. Looking awesome! Love the weld detail you added!
Brad

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
Great work Jeff! never thought of using the AMT bridge Figures. Might have to use them for the Jupiter as well. Great tip :)
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 09:00:07 pm »
Sweet idea on those figures!!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 01:14:57 am »
Good work Jeff this will be a stunning build

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 07:21:46 pm »
Great idea with the figures.

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 10:55:46 am »
Thanks for the head's up on a possible re-pop!  And as others have said, a great idea to use the figures.  That paint work is looking really clean my friend; keep up with the great work (it is inspiring to see).  I like the result you are getting from the Tamiya colors there.  Keep having fun with this build, because lord knows that I am!  8)
That model really tied the room together.

Offline xray

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:54 am »
 8) Nice looking there Fumble.
Scott
That's no moon it's a space station.

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 12:31:37 pm »
Glad to see you building this one Jeff, but gotta admit I'm a bit jealous too.....  (been wanting this one in my stash for a long time but never willing to pay the piper.)

When you get back to your 1/537 refit, is Admiral Nelson gonna be sitting on the bridge?  LOL

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline PiperCPO

• Lieutenant
  • ATC(AW/AC) USN (Ret)
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 12:38:30 pm »
Agreed with Model Dude, keeping my fingers crossed for the re pop! Might have to start gathering bits and bobs just in case!
Brad

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:11 pm »
Hi Guys!

Thank you for the kind words and for following my project.  Appreciate it Guys!  :)

Not a whole heck of a lot of time for modeling this past week.  :(

I did however get the floor finished up.  The three transparent octagons, which will be backlit got their Tamiya clear yellow.  The last one (the egress hatch) got it's hinges and latch detail painted.  I did some assembly work on the seats.  They are excellent!  No fewer than ten parts make up each seat.  I did a dry fit of the floor, frame and walls, just to see what's up.  I'm tellin' ya Guys, this thing literally falls together and fits like a glove!  8)   Here's a look.

The seat upholstery is molded separate for easy painting.  Nice!

I chose this head from the original TOS bridge kit to represent Kowalski.  It has that beady, close set eye look.  ;D

Lastly, the Paragraphix detail kit arrived this week!  It is absolutely beautiful!  I'll be diving into it this weekend.  8)

Should have another report over the weekend.

Thanks for checkin' it Guys!  :)

Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 10:02:59 pm »
looking sharp! can't wit to see that photo etch on there!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Enterprise © Bloc