Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)  (Read 23363 times)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
Re: Fumbles' Flying Sub (Modified)
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2014, 08:47:43 pm »
Thanks again for the kind words Guys!  I'm hoping to get out from under the front console (so to speak)  over the coming week.  It is indeed a trying little sucker.  But still very enjoyable.  :)

@Steve:  Happy you were able to get something out of this thread Steve.  Although, I got the idea of supplying FO with light boxes from Boyd.

@Brad:  I may have mistakenly referred to the display screens as gels Brad.  They actually came with the Paragrafix PE kit.  There's also a beautiful set of JT Graphics decals to go over the brass.  I can't say enough good things about this aftermarket PE kit!

Again Guys, I surely am enjoying the wide variety and top quality of all the works going on in the Spring build!!  It's a treat to watch!  :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline spacepirate197x

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2014, 08:51:07 am »
Great work as usual Fumbles.
This will teach you to shear away when you see my flag

My Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqu4jwN9ZseMoujsnEKSRIg?view_as=public

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2014, 01:48:04 pm »
Sweet work on that dashboard Jeff.....  where's the ashtray?  :b

Wolf
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline wolf 359

• Admiral
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:47 pm »
I have to get caught up here Jeff, but the figure details look great. It gave me some pointers I never knew. I like the PE work. It may have taken you some time, but defiantly worth it! Great Job!

Offline Joe Boss Red Seven

• Commander
  • "There Is No Such Thing As Luck!"
    • BLACK SIX RED SEVEN
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2014, 10:25:59 am »
Again Guys, I surely am enjoying the wide variety and top quality of all the works going on in the Spring build!!  It's a treat to watch!  :)

Yeah it is!
 8)

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:07 am »
Hi Guys!

Ok, finally got the front console all wrapped up!  ;D

It's 100% self contained with zero light leaks!  ;D

So, when the time comes, a couple blobs of solder, a couple blobs of glue and BAM...Installed!  ;D

It's hard to believe the stupid number of hours spent on this part, which is no bigger than an index finger.  :o  I think every various supply and tool I own were put to use on this little sucker.

I've pretty well got the lighting for the floor hexagons installed.  Also, the battery hatch and switch install are figured out.  I've started the prep work on the lower hull and hope to get some primer on it today.  More to come Guys.  Thanks for having a gander!  :)

Jeff.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2014, 10:25:05 am »
Amazing! It looks real. Time well spent, IMHO. Great work Fumbles!
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2014, 03:37:26 pm »
Hey, thanks a lot packratt!  I am pleased with the result...Just seemed like it took forever to get there.  I guess I better pick up the pace!  :)
Thanks to all you Guys for the interest here!  I really appreciate it  ;)

A bit more here for this week Guys.  The floor turned out to be a real PITA to light.  It pretty much rests directly on the docking ring, which of course runs right through all three hexagons  :'(  As a result it's very difficult to get it lit, let alone with even light.  :(  Ended up putting on some very thin sheet styrene to diffuse the light and hide the ring.  Also added some thin foam packing sheet to give a bit of clearance as well as help diffuse the light.  I put down some foil tape to light block and reflect.  The results are not 100%, but I did my best and that's gonna be that!!  I'm moving on!!  I neglected to get a pic of it when it was wired up for testing, but I'll put one up in a future update.

I want to have the power source on board.  This means battery power.  Therefore, access will be needed to change out a dead battery.  This little chore went amazingly well.  :)  There are hatches molded on the underside of the hull...I presume for landing gear.  I cut one of them out and rigged it to go on and off easily.  Worked out very well!  :)  The switch went in beautifully too.  I rummaged around in my "switch drawer" and found a nice little push on-push off switch.

Anyway, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here we go.

Here you can see the cobbling explained above, on the underside of the floor and the lower hull in order to get some light coming through the hexagons.  Did I mention this was a major PITA?!!

Here's the battery hatch.  A metal tab was epoxied to the hull and a magnet to the hatch.  Some strip rails were put on the sides of the opening to keep the hatch flush.  It sits very nicely and goes on and off like a champ.  I'm really happy with it.  I thought it was going to be a struggle.

Battery hatch sitting pretty and some bodywork down.

I carved out a spot for the switch and a hole for the wires to pass.  It's a friction fit so it can be very easily replaced if needs be.  (That means it'll work forever!  If it was epoxied in, it would fail for sure!  ;D)

Last but not least, some primer down.

Well fellas, that's me for this week.  Sorry this report was long winded.

Take care Guys and thanks for checkin' it!  :)

Jeff.

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »
That is certainly time well spent.  The console looks awesome.  Nice even light and the panels show up crisp, great work.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2014, 03:53:53 am »
I really like the battery hatch idea with the magnets and friction fit for the switch/wiring! Super cool you can get in there if repairs need to be made! Wow!
Boldly going...

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2014, 06:57:57 am »
Super detailed work as usual Jeff, loving you build logs!!

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2014, 10:29:55 pm »
Most excellent!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline ImWolf

• Admiral
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »
You always put out such clean work Jeff....  not sure of all your methods but surely a pleasure to see the results.

I've got to get one of these kits in my stash....  hope you are correct about a possible re-issue soon.

Here's one I happened upon surfing eBay....  only 11 hundred credits....  (no bidders yet)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191132230911&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

:b
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:09:16 pm by ImWolf »
Just think of what my life might be.....   In a world like I have seen!

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2014, 06:43:32 pm »
This is a good news/bad news type of info. I emailed Moebius about a week ago, inquiring about a re-issue of this kit as well as the 2nd season version of the Seaview (the 39" one). Their reply was that while they have no current plans to re-issue these kits, that doesn't mean they won't. Hopefully it won't be too long. Of course, I can't say how forthcoming they were with me since I've never had previous contact with them, and am not a professional builder.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:45:20 pm by pakratt840 »
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2014, 07:31:46 am »
OK Dan!  Well, I guess patience will be in order then, to see if it is re-released.

Jeff.

Enterprise © Bloc