Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big Spring Build: KHAAAAAAAN! 1/537 Reliant (Modified)  (Read 18185 times)

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
Re: Big Spring Build: KHAAAAAAAN! 1/537 Reliant (Modified)
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2014, 02:49:56 am »
Check, check and check again is about the only one I can come up with mate.

Saying that I just did a total rewire (off work due to knackered knee and bored) and I would certainly recommend the use of liquid insulating "tape" and will use that stuff exclusively from now on along with magnet wire.
I think (and hope) that my wiring problems have been sorted especially the starboard nacelle strobe coz that little s*** just did not want to play ball. I can't close up the hulls yet as I am waiting for my new Tena board to arrive so I can do a final check but once that does arrive I will certainly let the lights all run for at least 24hrs which seems to be the recommended and standard plan. Another reason for the rewire was that I always had a sneaky suspicion that my window and navs/blinkies circuits were in contact at some point and this time I made sure they were totally isolated.

Did have one thought (it does happen!) though and that was to apply all the Aztec decals to the lower hull prior to joining it to the upper and also the Aztecs on the inner nacelles/pylons and seal them up as it will be mega fiddly and I reckon too awkward to apply them once the kit is on the stand and finished - dunno what you think of that but would be very interested to hear your opinion on that one.

I have also decided to bite the bullet and gone for a 10mm threaded nipple tube for a stand as there is a fair bit of weight in my kit and it still isn't completed yet and besides I can't find anywhere that will thread/or provide 6mm threaded brass tubing.

My final wee thought before taking over your WIP thread totally is at this time I have four distinct lighting circuits:- navs/blinkies, windows, warp engines and torpedo launcher which will be hooked up to a 12volt/2 amp supply (too apprehensive to use my 12v/3amp supply in case it's too much) and TBH I am considering bringing it down to three circuits and wire the launcher up with the engines just to cut down on the amount of separate circuits and I am very interested in hearing about your lighting system and any of your ideas.

Hopefully some of the above will be of use and any ideas that you have come up with during your build will definitely be read.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:24:31 am by TK Iain »
Iain

Quarky

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2014, 03:39:51 am »
(too apprehensive to use my 12v/3amp supply in case it's too much)

This is something that used to worry me, but no longer!

As you know we use resistors for LEDs (even LED tape has these built in). These resistors are designed to restrict the current flowing throught the LED. So even if you had one LED at 20ma current, you cold use a 10A 12v supply without an issue.

It would only become an issue if you had, say 600 LEDs running off that 10A supply as 600 * 20mA = 12,000 mA, or 12A.

So basically a 2A supply would be able to cope with 1-100 LEDs running at 20mA each, without causing damage etc to the LEDs - as long as you calculate the resistor value correctly of course! What you would probably find is that if you DO run 100 * 20mA LEDs off a 2A supply is that it would get warm. If you ran 200 LEDs off that same supply so exceeding its rating of 2A, eventually, it would stop working as it would get too hot - and most modern power supplies now come with a thermal cut out.

So the biggest danger is using a power supply that is rated less than what your circuit draws.

Hope that helps...

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2014, 05:05:59 am »
Cheers Quarky!

That helps a lot! ;D
Iain

Offline jguard68

• JC Modelworks
  • Commander
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
She looks great all lighted up! Great job so far.
JC Modelworks, Professional Model Building

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2014, 06:57:58 am »
Yeah, the "lights on" looks great Dave!   :)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2014, 05:24:23 pm »
Hey again everyone. First I want to say thank you to everyone who has supported this build with comments, tips and virtual high-fives.  Time has not been on my side with family and 60hr work weeks lately so it's looking more and more like I won't wrap up this build before the end of May. I'm going to try to squeeze in more hobby time but no guarantees sadly.

-Dave

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2014, 07:51:26 am »
Looking good!!

Makes me wanna start on mine!
I think the Reliant is my favorite ship!!

Offline TK Iain

• Admiral
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2014, 08:04:36 am »
If you don't mind I would like to pinch a few of your ideas ideas when making my mk.II.
Iain

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
If you don't mind I would like to pinch a few of your ideas ideas when making my mk.II.

Hey we can swap ideas no problem  8)  If I don't get this wrapped up I'll swap this build over into the general WIP. Only a couple days left...
-Dave

Enterprise © Bloc