Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Projekt: Polish a turd - 1/537 USS Enterprise Refit by AMT (Modified)  (Read 27302 times)

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
Ohh-kay, folks!  We're here with one of the oddest kits in the Star Trek universe:  The 1/537 Refit!

It was designed waaaay back in the late 70's to coincide with the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and as such the fit isn't that great. 

Later on, some genius thought it would be a GREAT idea to carve in some aztec panels into the mold!  And thus... the horrible texture on this kit was born.  This particular kit is the Star Trek VI re-release.  It comes with a giant oversized shuttle craft.  We'll see what we do with that.

What are my plans for this bad boy?  First and foremost, I would like to make this thing look decent.  Something that people will look at and say 'Nice Enterprise!'.  It needs to be durable.  No sagging pylons are necessary.  And yes, that paneling is being REMOVED.

This kit will be lit up (hopefully well), though I'm not going quite all out like a 1:350 kit.  I will also be ordering some bits from DLM to replace some of the inaccurate junk that came with the kit.

And finally... there may be a surprise or two.  Stay tuned!

And we're OFF!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:58:51 pm by TrekWorks »
Builder of all things StarShip...

Offline billski

• Admiral
  • Jolan'tru
    • YouTube channel
Re: Projekt: Polish a turd - 1/537 USS Enterprise Refit by AMT
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:44:22 pm »
Can't wait to see what you get up to Matt

Offline AnythingSciFi

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »
What's that smell.?
Turd polishing 101!

Best of luck Matt!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »
Ill fitting parts?   ???
Horrible texture?   ???
Oversized shuttle?   ???

Are you sure you have the 1/537 Refit  ST IV??

'Cuz that kits a BEAUT!!!!  :o

Looking forward to watching you mercilessly unleash fury and hobble this wreck into a nice Enterprise!!

;D

Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

dlots1701a

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:59:49 pm »
hood to go matt good luck

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:15:27 pm »
Ha perfect title! I tried this kit as my getting back into phase a couple years back and I tossed it back in the closet. My rose-colored glasses from building this as a 7yr old quickly diminished.

Best of luck and I can't wait to see what you can do with this kit!
-Dave

Offline The Model Dude

• I'm the Dude, man
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
Woo Hoo!  Welcome aboard Captain.  Good to see she wasn't flushed!  All kidding aside, I am very interested in seeing how your project goes; I think you will do this kit justice!  I wish you fun and success, with the build and in the contest!   8)

PS:  I found this stuff online and thought it might be of assistance!   8)

That model really tied the room together.

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:38 pm »
Woo Hoo!  Welcome aboard Captain.  Good to see she wasn't flushed!  All kidding aside, I am very interested in seeing how your project goes; I think you will do this kit justice!  I wish you fun and success, with the build and in the contest!   8)

ROFL!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline RE202

• Lieutenant
  • A NOOB in search of knowledge. :)
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 08:22:18 pm »

ROFLMFAO!!

Methinks Matt will need all the help he can get.  ;)
Mal:  "Define Interesting."
Wash:  "Oh, God, Oh, God, we're all going to die?"

Offline big game nerd

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:58:10 pm »
Cool, i have opened and closed mine a million times.  Will be great to see it get built.
Steve

Offline dkev

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 12:35:53 am »
I have the smoothie version. I'm still waiting on the aztecs before I start it. I bought about every available aftermarket part available for it. I can't wait to see what you do with yours.  ;D

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 12:44:41 am »
Been working on mine on and off for 14 months now. Looking forward to this!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 02:46:02 am »
ROFLOL! Man, I just got a premonition...perhaps turd polish will take the day? Khaaaaaan he do it!????

Hehe!
Boldly going...

Offline MattA

• Admiral
  • Am I doing this right?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 10:22:16 am »
Well, I got very little modeling done over the weekend, but I did start experimenting with ways to remove the awful paneling all over the ship.

I first started with just sanding one section to see if it could be removed that way.  It can, but it also severely limits the detail that should be there.  I'm not sure that's a really good way to go.

I then tried filling all of it in.  This had much better success, though you have to rescribe all the panel lines.  I've made one pass with putty over 3/4 of the bottom saucer, sanded it all down, and primed.  You can still see some of the lines, though not nearly as much.  I'm going to hit it one more time, and that should be that.  I just have to do every surface of the ship now!  Piece of cake, right? :o

I'll post pictures when there's something to see...

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:32 am »
Well, I got very little modeling done over the weekend, but I did start experimenting with ways to remove the awful paneling all over the ship.

I first started with just sanding one section to see if it could be removed that way.  It can, but it also severely limits the detail that should be there.  I'm not sure that's a really good way to go.

I then tried filling all of it in.  This had much better success, though you have to rescribe all the panel lines.  I've made one pass with putty over 3/4 of the bottom saucer, sanded it all down, and primed.  You can still see some of the lines, though not nearly as much.  I'm going to hit it one more time, and that should be that.  I just have to do every surface of the ship now!  Piece of cake, right? :o

I'll post pictures when there's something to see...
Better to take it slow and steady and not rush it (which was my mistake this weekend). Also I've seen people do some nice smoothing using red Bondo on the surface then re scribing the lines they want to keep.
-Dave

Enterprise © Bloc