Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1:350 U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864 Spring Build (Modified)  (Read 25023 times)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
Re: 1:350 U.S.S. Reliant NCC-1864 Spring Build (Modified)
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 09:14:46 pm »
OK, just heard from Boyd that my build is actually in the modified category, as I am relying heavily on kit parts. No biggie, Im still pumped! Only downside is there will be more competitors! Lol  :P
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 10:42:08 pm »
Wow, the replacement on the primary hull with the resin is pretty amazing. Awesome cutting work BW! How did you accomplish such clean cuts/lines with the removal of the old section?

Pretty awesome work so far, I'm flabbergasted! ;)
Boldly going...

Offline InsaneFinn

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 01:01:33 am »
Well Michael, looking at your work so far on this build I'm pretty sure you are high on the list or even on first place. I think your build is more unique than most of us in modified category since you are converting 1/350 Enterprise refit into Reliant and I'm pretty sure that fact does affect on votes.  :)

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 03:04:53 am »
Wow, the replacement on the primary hull with the resin is pretty amazing. Awesome cutting work BW! How did you accomplish such clean cuts/lines with the removal of the old section?

Pretty awesome work so far, I'm flabbergasted! ;)
that resin is actually a conversion kit from lunar models, that was provided to me by Gadgetron_3000 on this forum. I used it for detail reference, and for deciding what parts of the original Kit I could keep. I am also using the 1/537 AMT Reliant for reference.
or the cuts i used my exact to score along the existing hull panel lines. after several passes, I just popped them apart as if I were cutting sheet styrene.
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 03:25:22 am »
Ok, got these little vent things knocked out tonight. Ater close examination of the studio model, I discovered that these little vents are not very deep, and in act have some detail inside... So now mine do as well. Got the rest of the detail finished and as accurate as I can.

Putting in the walls...

Making some details...

Cutting out the section that is actually recessed... should have looked at that before I glued the stupid thing together.

Cut out the sprues that were there for bracing, put new ones in...

replaced previously removed panel, now in new angled position. C.A. glued it in place, begin work on additional detailing...

And done!

Offline fumblethumbs

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 06:30:19 am »
Beautiful Buddy!!  Beautiful!!  8)
Ooooooo!  I think I may buy that kit!

Jeff.

Offline Kuce

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:36 am »
Simply amazing.

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:45 am »
WOW! I may just have to withdraw now while I still have some dignity! That is awesome....the detail is incredible man!
"Why don't we just... wait here for a little while... see what happens?"

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 09:46:02 am »
WOW! I may just have to withdraw now while I still have some dignity! That is awesome....the detail is incredible man!
I appreciate the compliment, but two obscure hull details does not a model make! Lol I may end up the first two months just on greeblies and hull details! :o

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:28 am »
Just the same, your work is very impressive!

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 10:02:07 am »
Just the same, your work is very impressive!
Well thanks! Looking forward to seeing more on yours! I like your idea for having the glow come below the grate! Green I assume?

Offline jellis11

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:22 am »

Well thanks! Looking forward to seeing more on yours! I like your idea for having the glow come below the grate! Green I assume?
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the thought.....still working it out in my head how to make it work the way I want though. I started drilling out the grates last night and realized I'm gonna have to raise the base up some to accommodate everything. I have some ideas that I've never seen done before, for instance I thought about hooking up a small aquarium pump with a check valve and have the "goo" flowing through a vinyl tube or something and backlit for the glowing effect......could be cool if I can make it work.

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:44 am »
Oooo a flickering green led would be sweet...

Offline DizWhiz

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 12:27:48 pm »
Very impressive work on those parts! I know you have about 300 more details to go but hopefully it gives you some extra confidence moving forward.
-Dave

Offline HDATX

• HDAmodelworx
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 01:23:46 pm »
Ok, 3rdplace I must say that your scratch building is really looking great!  What a great start to a wonderful project.  I can't wait to see more.
Jerry
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope..."

Enterprise © Bloc