Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HOW TO OPEN UP A GRILLE (55 CHEVY PICKUP)  (Read 500 times)

Offline Bryan_M

• Ensign
  • "LETS GO ALREADY!"
    • 1613 AUTOWORKS
HOW TO OPEN UP A GRILLE (55 CHEVY PICKUP)
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:25:12 pm »
ok, guys, i posted a couple of my how to`s in the other section, but since the rest of them deal with non-scifi subject matter i guess the others will have to go in here.

this is my "how to" on opening up the grille on a 55 chevy pickup truck, but the same technique can be used in just about any grille on any other model.

STEP ONE:

get out your favorite "moto tool" and the grille you plan to open up.

STEP TWO:

because this grille is chrome, and i didnt want to re-shoot it with chrome paint i laid a piece of making tape over the front of it to keep my fingers from rubbing the chrome off of it, or possible knicking it with the dremel

STEP THREE:

take the dremel and sand the backside of the grille, try not to apply too much pressure, let the tool do the work, keep grinding away at it until it looks like the one i have in the picture, almost through, but still some very thin pieces left.

STEP FOUR:

now you can put the dremel aside, and get out your favorite sanding stick. keep sanding away at the back of the grille until it is nearly cut through, again it should look like the pic above....

STEP FIVE:

once youre done with the sanding stick, take out your hobby knife, and gently...and i do mean gently remove the super thin pieces left over by the grinding/sanding process. be careful not to scar the chrome or you will have to re-chrome it.

STEP SIX:

take out youre favorite file and clean up the edges, again being very careful around the chrome edge....

STEP SEVEN:

and thats that! now you have a great looking grille for minimal effort.

DONE:

here it is mounted to the truck, it looks so much more prototypical, a little detail like this goes a long way in my book, and remember this can be used on a wide variety of grilles and other stuff that you would like to see "opened up"

thanks for reading guys, i hope you enjoyed it and it will work well for you. just take your time, and it will.
cheers
Bryan m
1613 AUTOWORKS
Bryan Mccallum
1613 AUTOWORKS

Offline SciFry

• Ensign
Re: HOW TO OPEN UP A GRILLE (55 CHEVY PICKUP)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:43 pm »
too bad the photos aren't loading properly. Would like to see what you did to the truck parts

Enterprise © Bloc