Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D first season version  (Read 28598 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
1/1400 Enterprise D first season version
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:25:30 pm »
 Hi all,
 I wanted share a current build of mine of yet another trek model.This will be the first season Next Generation Enterprise D in clear polystyrene.I've working on this for some time but will show photos from the start and catch up to were it is now.It was decided to go for the "smoothie" look and the more blue color.First off the bat was to sand off most of the raised detail and scrub off the release agent. Next task was to cut the trenches into the warp nacelle pylons for the wires.The model will be supported by a brass rod in a wooden base which will be removable.A shorter inner rod was glued in place in the secondary hull,reinforced with epoxy resin and glass cloth.You'll notice a small circuit board in one of the photos which will be used for the nav lights.This is a DLM product that will be mounted in the base.The different groups of lights will be on separate circuits to turn on and off individually,(engines,cabin lights,ect.) The detail on this model will be moderate.All of the aztecing will be painted with vinyl masks.So far, this kit is not too shabby to work with and is fun to assemble!More to come....
For the fun of building art.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D first season version
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »
The color will be closer to the early TV series version. I found a most excellent reference for the model at this link http://bruce-domain.blogspot.com/2011/02/part-1-uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-d-studio.html . It shows the seven foot model in what looks like blue grays and greens with gray green and cool gray details.I learned that when the Generations film was being made the production team took the seven footer and spruced up the paint job and fixed broken lights and such.It still appears some what blue gray overall.During the production run of the series the guys in the props built a four footer and another smaller yet.These appeared in the later seasons and were more gray with some raised detail.So,one can't mess up on the color because you can just say it's the early or later version! :-p Thus far mine will be a little stronger blue.(I like the color anyway!)

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »
Coming along very fine. I had thought of building the ship with it's television look but I just didn't know what I would do with the decals if I didn't use them. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Rock on!
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »
 Well,on to painting this guy! This is a weird type of plastic kit to light because it's clear.Usually, with opaque, you light block the inside with black then white and then paint the outside as normal.With this one it's a mostly reversed process. First,all of the windows were masked with tiny bits of blue masking tape.These were cut to fit just inside of the window impressions.This was the time consuming part of the painting prep!I used automotive primer first on the outside (after a coat of plastic adhesion promoter;duplicolor) then black and gray primer again.The primer was a high build ,so all parts with windows were wet sanded with 400 grit to smooth out the surface and see the window masks.The window masks were replaced at least three times so as to not hide them up to putting the final color coats!
 Fortunately,the grid lines weren't hidden too much since most of them were rescribed with a punch.At this point any subtle details left after the first sanding are now completely covered.Other parts ,such as the nacelles,were painted without much fuss.The painting process at this stage was about a weeks worth of work.Force drying and blue tape are my stalwart allies in this build!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53:04 pm »
Coming along very fine. I had thought of building the ship with it's television look but I just didn't know what I would do with the decals if I didn't use them. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Rock on!
Thanks man!Well,this was the second opportunity to use the big decals and I just wasn't keen about working with pieces so large.Much more familiar with the masks.The cons I found with the predone masks,however, is that the detail is not quit as fine and they can grab the doo doo out of the paint if pressed too hard!!!But these are more low tack and did pretty well.By the way,the force drying technique works like a charm for the preliminary painting.No bugs in the finish! :-) 

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:00:00 am »
Good stuff. Very interesting to me because I wondered about masking vs scraping and how it
would come out looks wise and how much time difference. I love saving time:)
Can't wait to see more!

If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:11:25 pm »
 You know,after looking at the photos of both studio models, the paint scheme on the movie one is quite a bit more complex than I realized!Nevertheless, it'll defiantly be closer to the TV version but just a bit more blue.The aztek masks are from DLM made from some kind of low tack stock. For the present time, the model is entirely painted with decals and a satin finish varnish.Most of the strip lighting and some navigation lights are installed too;it now just needs a few more LEDs and bringing all of the sub assemblies together.The prep work for the paint was mostly good ole' spray bombs from Dupli Color and elbow grease! ;-) Hit a couple of snags along the way(mostly high heat ,humidity,bad ju ju) but fixed it just fine.The base on this will be very simple and utilitarian as well as elegant. Thanks too for the comment! Stay tuned....

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:27:15 pm »
Good stuff. Very interesting to me because I wondered about masking vs scraping and how it
would come out looks wise and how much time difference. I love saving time:)
Can't wait to see more!
No doubt about it,this is thus far way slower than scraping and decals!!!My plan to just mask once for the windows was blown out of the water after the last primer coat.A similar method was used on the 1/350 Enterprise with out much difficulty because the window ports stuck out slightly.But,with these being recessed, they started to get covered up;much to my dismay!The windows were all remasked three times.Only partially just before the color coats.As for looks ,they seem to be about the same quality as the scrapping method and appear to be more sunk in.But I like it.Speaking of strip lights to the response for fraley, there is way less wiring clutter!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 12:57:35 am by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:36:57 pm »
 More paint prep and priming.Just about through with the gray primer phase and started to do the major filling.The nacelles had the buzzard collectors glued in prior to paint prep and were scuffed up with 320 grit wet sand paper for light diffusion.Looking at the studio model of both the TV and movie props the warp "grills" are copper colored.The grills were scuffed up and dry brushed with flat black model master acrylic paint.Later they were dry brushed with copper enamel paint.
 Typical of AMT and the reissue models,the fit of some or many parts aren't real great.No problem.The nacelle parts and grills were trial fitted and it appears that the shrouds that hold the buzzard collectors will need to be clamped and filled.The grills are split at the back and may not match perfectly;again, no problem!(there are left and right pieces too!).Meanwhile the trenches cut for the nacelle wiring has the wire laid in and glued with hot glue.Red spot glazing putty  is filled over that and left to cure.The wires through out is computer ribbon wire(maybe 30 gauge).They are well insulated and small for tight spaces.After sanding the trenches smooth, we primer the area with good ole spray bomb high build gray primer.This area will be one of many to receive photo etched parts to cover and enhance.
 For the last of this phase,the little red and green nave lights are installed at the rear between the nacelles.I used 3 mm super bright LEDs with approximately 1/32' diameter fiber optics.You guys will see more shots in the additional replies to this thread...

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 11:41:20 pm »
Just some more shots of the ongoing priming and ect.! Just to add,the deflector dish was simply airbrushed with flat black testors model master enamel for the light block.The little ring inside was just masked off with a homemade pattern...:-)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 12:52:35 am »
 Thanks man! Yeah,I just used a medium sized round brush with the copper paint and just dry brushed the grills.Worked real easy too!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:03:02 am by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:08 am »
 At last! Getting to work on some more light installation and the first round of paint application.The deflector was painted it's final color of a custom mixed red and yellow.With a little black to tone it down, it looks like a light rust.The inner part has a little copper mixed in to make it shine a little bit.I ordered the basic Evans Lighting Kit from Cult Tv Man which came with just static lighting.It's made up of a few feet of cool white strip lighting,a few inches of blue,some red 3 mm LED's with resistors and also a couple of 5 mm white LED's.
 I took one of the 3 mm red LED's ,built a cone around it with thin sheet styrene and epoxied it to the already assembled deflector dish.Black electrical tape was wrapped around the cone for light blocking and secured with thin CA.
 Now,the big job.I custom mixed both shades of the blue gray from Model Masters intermediate blue ,blue,flat black and flat white.The only difference between the two shades of blue gray are the amounts of white with black with blue. The darker color was sprayed down with an airbrush first.There was some problems with the first application and some of the hull pieces were sanded with 400 grit paper. The next coat worked much better.With the high heat and humidity in my part of Texas,it's difficult to choose a day for painting!(plus the work shop has no AC!! :-o )
 So far, the first color came out as expected and the lighter color should contrast it nicely!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:38:50 am by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 12:59:57 am »
 I forgot to add some photos and notes about the trench covers.A set of DLM trench covers and paragraphix photo etched parts were ordered to further enhance the subtle detail in this kit.Prior to putting down the first coat of color,the trench covers were installed.These are brilliant add ons and glue down easily with thin CA.I used thin CA for plastic models from Hobbico along with the thin applicator.The covers were curled a little bit and then tacked down starting from the outboard pylons toward the inboard part.The covers were further glued down by wicking the glue around the edges of the brass part.These brass parts are finely detailed and look way better than the original detailing.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »
 Don't they though!? Good thing you can get stuff this nice for a reasonable cost too. :-)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »
 Now we are moving into another time consuming task;masking! Vinyl masks were purchased through Cult Tv Man(DLM),and applied to the sub assemblies a section at a time.These are a low tack variety and don't grab as tightly to the paint.I mentioned before that the detail rendered will not be as fine as the decals but will look good.I started with the saucer section and just started from one end to the other.One just has to choose which pattern to start with and make mirror images as you go from one panel to the next.It can get a little confusing easily but it can be fixed with no difficulty.
  With other areas you can use some liberty as to where some of the smaller masks will go.After about three days,on and off,everything was masked.The lighter shade of the gray blue paint laid down well and left to cure for a couple of days.Pulling off the masks reveled crisp, straight edges with little bleed through.At this point,the the contrasting colors worked out like I wanted.In real life the colors look more blue but not too strong.Real soon here,it's on to the rest of the photo etched parts.Best part of this stage is that those windows don't need to be masked anymore!! :-p

Enterprise © Bloc