Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/1400 Enterprise D first season version  (Read 28597 times)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
Re: 1/1400 Enterprise D first season version
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 07:21:33 pm »
More detail on the masking application...
For the fun of building art.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »
 Thank you! The pre-cut masks really help things along.Sometimes,you can add a little more detail with the blue tape too.Blue tape,glazing putty and hot glue,a modeler's best friends! :-D

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:46 pm »
Really nice. As I look at it I can see the time and efforts. Great job. Your getting toward the downhill run now.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Jimmypop57

• Admiral
  • Scifi scale model enthusiast
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 10:44:11 am »
This is coming out awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product. Some day I'll put one together, but all those windows make me stand back and look at the kit sideways lol! Are you going to put in the shuttle bay as well?
I play, I putty, I spray, and pray! Putty, sand, repeat...
All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray... All putty and no spray makes TOS models green and gray...

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »
Really nice. As I look at it I can see the time and efforts. Great job. Your getting toward the downhill run now.
Thank you! In real time,the project has been built up to a point in just three sections.Probably going to start puttying soon on the saucer section .For now all of the LEDs that will be used are completely installed.Will be ready to bring it all together in a few days. The base isn't built yet so that'll be another task to get underway.I was looking at my build log on the ole 'puter and so far it's been going on for 38 days.Not bad considering the 1/350 Enterprise refit was almost five months in progress!! Since your Trek Works videos were playing on You Tube,I gleaned some of the techniques used on the build videos.On this one ,the force drying,red glazing putty and the strip lighting have become new favorites!
 It's fun sharing this and looking at everyone else's builds too.:-)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »
This is coming out awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product. Some day I'll put one together, but all those windows make me stand back and look at the kit sideways lol! Are you going to put in the shuttle bay as well?
Thanks,Jimmy! You'll enjoy your model "D".The biggest part of this is the masking and paint prep.The first phases were many hours of sanding most of the raised detail off and the hundreds of tiny window masks in blue tape.I could hear in my mind, during the window prep,Picard saying ,"Bah! Number one! There's too many DAMN windows! Hurumphh!".
 This version won't have the shuttle bays detailed.I didn't do it on any of the other models but perhaps on something else.
(A 1/350 original TV Enterprise?! Perhaps......;-) )

Offline br0t

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:57 pm »
Looks very nice Atoz.  How are the masks to work with?  The clear D is on my todo/wish-list, so inquiring minds want to know :)

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »
 Thanks brOt! I like the DLM masks a lot. I've used the ones from Aztec Dummy on a 1/1000 Refit Enterprise and they give you nice clean edges.You must be careful though not to burnish them too tightly(especially with acrylics) as they will pull the paint with them as the masks are removed! These seem to be more low tack and come off easily without damaging the paint.These particular ones come in two sheets with instructions.The directions do mention that you may not want to leave them on the paint job more than two weeks.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 10:18:29 pm »
 Well,time now for some fine details.:-) I was looking forward to trying photo etched parts;they just looked interesting.The Paragraphix parts are made from thin brass sheets similar to heavy duty aluminum foil. These are mostly the phaser banks and transporter emitters with a few tiny detail parts.It's recommended by DLM to tack them down with a water based glue then secure them with thin CA.I didn't have any suitable water based glue and just held them in place with bits of blue tape.
 The phaser banks were the most involved but fun to do.The instructions say to cut them from the fret with a sharp knife and then roll them a little on a large brush handle to curve them length wise.This will make them conform to the original molded in detail.All other parts just glue down flat.Once the parts are in place as per the diagram just wick in the thin CA and wait.It's amazing how well they grab and stay down!There is only minimum of areas to come up.Next is to paint these with a easy to see color... 

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »
Some more parts..

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 11:32:38 pm »
Nothing better than getting to see the products being used in a real world build.
It looks great and thanks for posting. This type of thread is exactly what I was hoping for when I started the forum's.
Perfect.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 09:33:07 am »
Thanks guys! It's my pleasure.When you get this set,there are very good instructions to go with it.To further help out, Don includes links to Flicker and shows a step by step of this and other products.Cheers!

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:41 am »
 So far, the photo etched parts worked like a charm.Now it's on to painting them.Looking at my handy reference photos,there is an accompanying color chart . The phaser banks appear to be a gray green color and the transporter emitters are some kind of light beige.The entire model was masked off with blue tape and the phaser banks were painted with an airbrush.As for the transporter emitters, the included decals worked best.When the decals were applied and coated with solvent,the etched lines could be seen.
 Before moving on,I sprayed everything with Testor's semi gloss lacquer.This sealed off the paint and gave it a nice satin finish.The next fun job was to start applying the first round of decals.First, some decal solvent was brushed on the surface and then the decals were applied.Some more solvent was brushed over the decals to further make them conform to the curves.The kit decals are rather thick but they can tolerate some rough handling.Next it'll be some more decal application!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:31:05 am by Mr Atoz »

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:50 am »
More pics.

Offline Mr Atoz

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 12:29:42 am »