Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Primer lifted with masking tape.  (Read 1994 times)

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
Primer lifted with masking tape.
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »
Bear with me as I explain my question. I applied 2 coats of primer to my upper hull of my Jupiter 2 (PL 12" version) after filling and sanding the roof seam. To my dismay, the seam was still visible, although could not be felt to the touch. Decided to sand it down and apply more putty and re-sand. I only initially sanded the area to be puttied. Do the whole thing after the putty dried. However, when I went to peel the tape off (3M Blue Painter's Tape) spots of primer peeled away with it. No big deal as it was going to be sanded down anyway, but is that normal? Should mention that the primer had a good 2 days to dry. Boyd mentioned in a video clip about scuffing the model prior to priming, I think. Is that what I forgot to do? Just don't want to have this happen when I'm masking off areas with more than one color involved.
Dan

Yoda & Luke discuss building the Refit
Luke: I'm not afraid!
Yoda: Oh...You will be...You...Will...Be!

Offline luminous

• Admiral
Re: Primer lifted with masking tape.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 10:43:01 pm »
Hey Buddy.
 We've all been there, lucky you've caught it early on in the build.
 Washing your model parts in a degreaser like dish washing soap is the most important step before priming.
 Also I highly recommend wiping model parts with a "Tack rag" which removes any lint/dust etc.
Also always wash your hand before handling any model parts and or wear gloves.
 With a decent branded primer once dry it shouldn't lift from masking even after only an hour or two of drying.
Cheers mate
Ollie

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:45:41 pm by luminous »

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:11:34 pm »
I did wash all the parts, but I had forgotten about someone recommending using a tack rag. And I think I still have a box of latex gloves that I used when I was collecting sports cards, to prevent oils and prints from getting on the card stock. Kind of the same principle here. Thanks.
Dan

Offline Kila2000

• Trainee Borg
  • Admiral
  • I will finish a model, I will finish a model ...
    • Models by Wil
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:14:18 am »
Scuffing the parts, as Boyd mentioned, is a good idea too as it gives the primer something to bite into. Also, Boyd, and others, have been using an adhesion promoter, its like a plastic primer developed by the auto industry for use on bumpers. I've not used it myself but Boyd at least swears by it.
Wil, the Kiwi Borg, in training.

I'm not a complete Borg, some pieces are missing.

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:11:06 am »
That's what he called it! I couldn't remember the term he used on his vid clip. I'll have to go back and look at that clip again because he reads off the ID # for the product he uses. Thanks for the memory jog, Kila2000!
Dan

Offline Kevin G.

• Lieutenant
  • ETC(SS) USN (Ret)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »
That's what he called it! I couldn't remember the term he used on his vid clip. I'll have to go back and look at that clip again because he reads off the ID # for the product he uses. Thanks for the memory jog, Kila2000!

The stuff Boyd mentioned, you can get it at almost any auto store (AutoZone,Etc.) as well as some Bennys and Walmarts;
https://www.duplicolor.com/products/adhesionPromoter/

I now use this as well as the Duplicolor, more expensive but VERY good stuff;
http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=SEM+39863&gclid=CKjp58--0b0CFYyhOgodOG4A5Q

And if ya scuff plastic i recommend that you use a quality MicroFiller Primer, tons out there.

Kevin G.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:19:26 pm by Kevin G. »

Quarky

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:42:10 pm »
Yip, we've all been there!

I wash my parts with a steel wool pad impregnated with soap...(called Brillo pads here in the UK). It both cleans and makes a nice rough surface for Primer to bond to.

Offline Lufty

• Captain
  • Boldly going...
    • Lufty.net
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:44:17 am »
Yip, we've all been there!

I wash my parts with a steel wool pad impregnated with soap...(called Brillo pads here in the UK). It both cleans and makes a nice rough surface for Primer to bond to.

Nice! Never would have thought of that...plus you kill 2 birds-o-prey with one stone! I currently hit the plastic with 600-1500 grit sand paper during the test fit phase...that might eliminate that whole step. I'll give it a try.
Boldly going...

Offline pakratt840

• Admiral
  • NCC-1603 USS Ballista
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 05:23:16 pm »

So I assume that would be in lieu of using a degreasing dish soap like Dawn? Also assume that you would not use the Brillo pads (S.O.S. here in the US, though Brillo used to be sold here, too) on any clear parts not to be painted, just soak those in the soapy water.

As always, good tips and info here. Thanks to all.
Dan

Quarky

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 06:00:39 pm »

So I assume that would be in lieu of using a degreasing dish soap like Dawn? Also assume that you would not use the Brillo pads (S.O.S. here in the US, though Brillo used to be sold here, too) on any clear parts not to be painted, just soak those in the soapy water.

As always, good tips and info here. Thanks to all.

Yes, and yes!

8)

Enterprise © Bloc