Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [AMT 1:537 U.S.S. Reliant] Rear Phaser Banks!  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Gadgetron_3000

• Admiral
[AMT 1:537 U.S.S. Reliant] Rear Phaser Banks!
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:52:48 am »
I was looking at the picture of the filming miniature of the Reliant:

...when I noticed rear phaser banks at the bottom of the impulse engine assembly!  I never knew they were there, but I guess it would make sense since that would help to cover a 'blind spot' of the ship offensively and defensively.  Sort of like how the Enterprise refit has two individual phaser banks at the top-rear of its secondary hull.

Doing a little more research, it looks like a lot of people missed this detail, including AMT/ERTL at the time.  Most of the non-canon detailed blueprints that have been created over the years have also missed it.  I think the only set that picked up on those phasers was in the exterior schematic drawings of the Reliant published in the Star Trek Fact Files.

There's a person in Europe who started a 1:350 Reliant back around April of last year.  He's been posting updates on The RPF forum (http://www.therpf.com/f11/scratchbuilt-1-350-uss-reliant-182258/).  He's doing the rear phasers thing with his scratch-build:

I decided to add in the flat section of the phaser bank detail to the AMT kit rear hull part so I don't have to do it later on when I get around to actually building the model.  (While I was at it, I added in grills for the impulse engines too.  :) )  I'll put in the phaser bank 'nubs' another time.

"They've done studies, you know.  60% of the time, it works every time."

-----

Google+: https://plus.google.com/109660073537038906328

Offline 3rdplacetrekkie

• Admiral
  • "What does God need with a starship!?"
Re: [AMT 1:537 U.S.S. Reliant] Rear Phaser Banks!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:06:45 pm »
Yeah, Hus name is Richard. We've become buddies of a sort since I started mine. Great info! Thanks!
"Accomplishments, awards, accolades, and achievements... but when it's all said and done, what will stand?  For I tell you that my while my physical life will end and memory of me may fade, what I live for will stand for all eternity. And that is what makes my life worth living."

Offline hansebi

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:26:15 pm »
good to know.

no surprise there with AMT missing those details; even the rollbar "Mega-Phaser" assemblies - though prominent and a much used detail in the movies - lack most (even remotely accurate) detail. They didn't even include the swivelling emitters on those strange discs alone, and those were used for the initial volley, the very first phaser special effect since the original series in ST-WOK! Then there is the horrible bridge B-deck, the saucer is missing one deck...

in contrast to the Reliant the Refit 1701 (A) model had TOO MUCH detail, namely the engraved aztec...

...at least the aftermarket is thriving. And at least this gives us something more to do with our projects. ;-)

Offline hansebi

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
...and in the end I too decided to scratchbuild some extra phaser nipples onto my AMT ERTL Miranda. I also did the swivel cannons on the boom

The phaser emplacement on the rear sidewall is just for good measure... and to cover up a drillhole gone HORRIBLY wrong  8)

Enterprise © Bloc