Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Squirrels NX-01 Enterprise 1:350 alternate lighted  (Read 33887 times)

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
  • you dont wanna know where this squirrel has gone.
    • Squirrels Nest
Squirrels NX-01 Enterprise 1:350 alternate lighted
« on: April 30, 2014, 11:54:20 pm »
just getting ahead of myself here, will be ordering model soon(day or two), am looking around seems like around $60 is the best I see for the ship.

looking at light kits, a little confusing, I know im gonna be real OCD about my lights, got the feeling will be ordering more than I need, so far prices are around 100 for most-inclusive kits (most-inclusive as opposed to all-inclusive) notice one said it didn't include the nacelle rack.

gonna go with an Aztec mask, gonna be more work but I love the look.

pry gonna need to replace some standard parts, dunno wich yet (pry nacelle bubble at least)

like the idea of the spotlight(worklights?) on the nacells,

an idea I will pry have to abandon:
in one window be able to see T'Pol in that cute little blue decontamination outfit..(panties and sports bra)

brush paint because I don't know how to work my airbrush.

pry will have custom colors as In my search I see too many grey tone models, was considering black tones but also see too many of those, still like my purple idea, will see, will have to get comp graphic and experiment with colors.

as long as it looks cool in the end. I did that with my Klingon battle cruiser(colored outside the box) and it was way cool, (wish I could find pics of it)

been watching a lot of youtube videos on the nx-01 model, learned a few things.. (like multiple build videos tend to get separated )

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
Re: Squirrels NX-01 Enterprise 1:350 alternate lighted
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:04:54 am »
what is the difference between the polar lights nx-01 model PLL902, and 26TPL02, ?
(and others)

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:52 am »
ok, NX-01, light kit, Aztec mask, and photoetch decals on the way, just ordered them, should be here in a couple weeks.

could use some advice on the Aztec mask, its another first for me.

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:28:11 am »
watching the TrekWorks video on the nx-01, one line he used makes me wonder.. 'and everyone in between is building the nx-01'..i guess this is a popular model..

assuming the person here named trekworks is the same person as the video, azec dummy masks, seems you stumbled on the solve, everyone of facebooks 'Star Trek modelers' group says AD masks are sh#t..I like the soap idea.

I can appreciate your automotive paint experience, I never thought to use other types of paint on my model, now im gonna have to research some colors from my local auto paint store..

one minor critique on the videos, instead of cutting through tedious processes, use fast forward, there are sections I was watching on your federation model build that when you came back from the cut, I was left with 'what/how did he just do that?'

other than that I find your videos very informative and helpful, I have learned a lot already from watching them. I think I can aztec mask with confidence now.

Offline manu

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:17:47 am »
Hi NMSquirrel,
yes trekworks is the same here and on youtube. I'll look forward to see your lighting come to life. I'm currently working on the model myself, I never saw the need for a prebuilt lighting kit, and I'm doing my own. Spotlights however will look good, no doubt. Since my kit included aztec decals I'll use them. A lot of people had problems with the painting masks, not only trekworks, but others as well. Looking forward to yout progress and keep posting  :)

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:39:39 am »
Aztec mask, LED tape, photoetch and NX-01 has arrived!
waiting on light kit, and something else I forget..

looking at light controllers, and electronics kits for additional features of my model.

I did say I wanted to go overboard with the lights didn't I?

even when this stuff arrives I wont be ready to start just yet.
still have a major shopping trip to hobby lobby for tools and such, will have to wait for next months check.

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:47:33 pm »
ordered paint I want, plus an additional feature (to be disclosed upon completion)
ran into town to do some window shopping, found items online for cheaper..
bought a couple cans of paint (light blocker and white) got antsy and painted saucer section black, (really, hold against light to check bleed through, it looked good till I put a light bulb behind it..)

researching imagination, so much I want to do with this build but talent (would love to have interior components,but im not that good) and funds limit it.(what doesn't exist, costs more to make exist)

will put up pics after I paint top coat.

anyone know any plastic mold injection companies that do cheap?
(and can pull from a pic)

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 05:04:21 pm »
cool found something I could use for cheap..

not cool, I just added together what I have spent on it so far..
$367

eep..
it better turn out good.
 ;D :'( ???

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:07:08 pm »
ok..pics..

question,
what are those square indents near the bridge windows?

Offline DarthVader

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »
Looking good so far as to how much you spent on your kit just take your time building it and the money you ended up spending on it will be well worth it, and you can say that it was something you built yourself and be proud of it...and that is something that no one can take away from you...

Offline TrekWorks

• Admin
  • Admiral
    • TrekWorks
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:20:21 pm »
Off to a good start.

For my NX-01 build I used decals from Acreation for the Aztec panels not painting masks.
The decals worked excellent and I really like the look of them. It would be very difficult to achieve the same intricate detail painting them on. Note of caution, the decals from Acreation need a coat of sealer applied to them before you use them or they will breakup when you dip them in water. I used Alclad II lacquer based decal sealer on my set.
If It's a model kit, I like it already.

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 11:50:39 pm »
don't need plastic mold company, found what I was looking for..

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »
OMG..i just though of an easy was to do interiors...(stay tuned)

still have things to buy, apparently I didn't get the nacelle light (spinning red), still need glue and putty and paint..(what I ordered isn't the effect I want), and a couple shuttle pods..

I got most of the lights so I can play with those for a bit..

still anticipate spending another $200 on it..(not including base)
by the time i'm done I will pry have invested at least 1k into it just on materials (stay tuned).

-----------------
Star Trek is my drug of choice...

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 11:28:28 am »
still looking for the perfect controller interface..the choices are coming down to arduino Uno, PICaxe or build my own, still haven't made up my mind which I want to go with, each has its own questions, im so confused..

I have tried to join their respective forums but had problems with each (one said I couldn't do anything till mods approved me, still waiting for that, the other goes to a blank page, another am still waiting on a response...)

here is what I want:
remote access:
 I found this remote:12V-12Channel-Relay-RF-Switch-1000m-Remote-Control-Transmitter-Receiver

functions:
separate on/off for spot lights, main, and bonus lights
dimmer for interior and strobes

I would like two different strobes one for regular nav lights and a double flash(blibk,blink,rest) for main center strobe,  inverse chasing leds for the nacelle would be cool (translation: just thought of this..here I go overthinking again..)

so far arduino/PICaxe seems to be the best solution for everything I want, but I have no experience with those systems and I am confusing myself trying to figure out which one would work best for me (do I really need any extras, like the usb remote that makes it so I wont have to install a USB port on my ship,(but do I really need that? I would only have to program it once right?)) then I would have to find a program that either does or almost does what I want (im better at editing than coming up with the code from scratch) then how would I tie it in with my remote?...  I think i need someone willing to walk me through what I don't know (or at least have the unique abilty to unconfused me..)

I have found some schematics to build my own circuits, a simple flash circuit. and a dimmer circuit, having probs finding a double flash circuit, as most electronics led flash kits do not say whether they double flash or not and the ones that have videos are only regular flashes.. both the regular flash and the dimmer I can get in kit form (components and board) which is a good thing, I would rather have the kits than scratch build,
been looking for inverse chasing led's but only found regular chasing leds, (inverse meaning the leds are all on and an off led chases around) which indicates that it would be easier to do with arduino/picaxe..

HELP!

(will post this in the help section also)

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 02:24:05 pm »
Try here. Lots of info, sample code, etc.

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/index.php?topic=2234.0
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Enterprise © Bloc