Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register. - Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Squirrels NX-01 Enterprise 1:350 alternate lighted  (Read 32538 times)

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
  • you dont wanna know where this squirrel has gone.
    • Squirrels Nest
Re: Squirrels NX-01 Enterprise 1:350 alternate lighted
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:02:04 pm »
Thank you Mark, I was beginning to wonder how active this board is..

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 02:50:14 pm »
I think I have most of my spending done, the only thing left is the base and maybe a structure kit, I have questions for the structure kit.. how critical is a structure kit? does anyone have testimony of repercussions NOT using a structure kit?

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 03:46:29 pm »
went to mouser electronics for parts for my electronics, ordered everything but the fr151 diode, they wont sell less than 500 per order, I only need two and do not want to pay 35 bucks for 500, any suggestions guys? anyone here have a couple they could give/sell me?

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 08:01:15 pm »
Out of curiosity, why that particular diode?  And what do you mean by a "structure kit"?

Did you find what you were looking for in the other thread?
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »
Out of curiosity, why that particular diode?  And what do you mean by a "structure kit"?

Did you find what you were looking for in the other thread?
dunno why that particular diode, its what the schematics ask for, and im not proficient enough in electronics to know what would replace it..

structure kit. I could use 1/4 cooper to achieve this but still don't know how critical it is..

and yes that thread was/will be very helpful..

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:16 pm »
Oh good golly, is that serious?!  I'm curious about the need too.

What circuit schematic are you using?  Can you get one at Radio Shack?
MarkW
"I can cross stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I'd never do"
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 10:29:06 pm »

pff..radio shack..this area sucks for stuff like that..

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:34:33 am »
What does this circuit do?  I'm terrible at reading analog, other than a 555 and some flip flops, I'm lost.

Did this ship have a true chaser in the Bussards, or more of a random pulse like the 1701E?
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 09:10:43 am »
What does this circuit do?  I'm terrible at reading analog, other than a 555 and some flip flops, I'm lost.
answer is in output. (don't wanna give away too many detail :) )

Did this ship have a true chaser in the Bussards, or more of a random pulse like the 1701E?
oh crap..forgot to order the bussard lights.. thanks for reminding me..

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 10:09:06 pm »
might as well post this pic here also.. (put it in 'show me yours')

started glueing some of the non-clear pieces, got the paint I want in, but have questions about it (already pm'd boyd)
first time I have used CA glue.. LOVE IT! it flows into the cracks like I want, and the kicker is a excellent time saver.

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 06:53:27 am »
What assemblies are you using CA on?  I still prefer model glue for most plastic to plastic joins, as CA can become brittle over time and is generally terrible in shear.
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 10:17:44 am »
crap..

correct me if this is wrong or there is a workaround..

this is what I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-oz-KAMELEON-GOLD-to-SILVER-House-of-Kolor-Auto-Paint-Color-Change-Basecoat-/390830378721?hash=item5aff4e4ee1&item=390830378721&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

I was told I needed an automotive based base coat, I had already used a hobby store black blocker to base coat it, now I am being told I need to strip the black and start over with a automotive based base coat, to utilize the color changing paint.. (which is supposed to be relatively easy with Simple Green product (I think its simple green, it has green in the name))

now although it wasn't specifically said, it was inferred that I would need to do the Aztec masking with normal colors and use the color change as a cover coat then clear coat, so that would mean I would have to use auto based paints for all those colors?

I have tested the color coat on a spot in the interior and it did wrinkle the paint (did not have a clear coat on it) (it was said its the reducer in the paint that caused the wrinkle)

would like verification and advice for this paint.

boyd has used this, would like to here from him, but don't think he has been online lately (still waiting for his reply to pm)

couldn't I seal this base coat then go from there? or do I really have to strip it? (whats the easiest way to strip it?)

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 04:02:24 pm »
Not true.  People routinely spray lacquer over acrylic and enamel paints.  Testors dull and gloss coats are lacquers.  The key is correctly applying.
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Offline NMSquirrel

• knowledge leech
  • Commander
    • Squirrels Nest
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 11:48:08 pm »
I think I made a descision..im gonna order the Aztec decals instead of trying to use masks, there are too many unanswered anxieties involved with masking it, decals are much simpler solution to get the look I am trying for..

I am going to strip it (easy enough with simple green, ) and use an automotive base coat, then spray it with my color, a clear coat, then Aztec decals, clear coat then normal decals, and another clear coat..

hopefully the green (gold/silver has a green hue to it) doesn't show up as much as I think it will..

Offline MarkW

• Plastic Surgeon
  • Admiral
    • MW ModelWerks
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 04:50:42 am »
When you say hobby store base coat, what does that mean?   Is it an enamel base coat, or water based acrylic?  I'm assuming acrylic if it will strip with Simple Green.

And when you did the test and got wrinkling, how did you apply the paint?  Did you spray it, or just put a drop on?

What is the purpose of the black base coat?  Is it for light blocking, or is it to influence the color of the top coats for pre-shading? 

If for light blocking, I'm not sure why you wouldn't put it on the inside any ways.
MarkW
--Brock Sampson
NEW WEB ADDRESS

Enterprise © Bloc